UKC

Nasty Ticks on my cats.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dhuhkosi 03 Apr 2008
Hello Everyone,

Can anyone offer me any advice on how to keep Ticks off my two cats? I don’t want to get paranoid but a good friend of my girlfriend was bitten by one of these nasty creatures and he ended up in serve pain in hospital with the disease reaching all his joints and got into his heart.

Last night, I had to remove two ticks from one of our cats – now I don’t want to go near the cats! I also have kids in the house and naturally I want to protect them from getting bitten too. Not being a Tick expert but can the cats bring them into the house, carried on their fur, the cats lie on your bed, the tick falls off, you hop into bed and the tick then bites you?

I realise the chance of being bitten is small, I realise the chance if you are bitten the ticks are actually carrying a disease is even smaller but the story of my girlfriend friend got me thinking.

Any advice – except get rid of the cats?
 Alex Roddie 03 Apr 2008
In reply to dhuhkosi:
My dog gets ticks all the time in the summer--she's very furry and seems to pick them up from the forest. It's not uncommon for her to have three or four of them at once.

When (if!) we find them, the usual tactic is to use a special tick removal device. You can get them from vets and they remove the ticks safely and painlessly. The problem is that ticks are tiny until they've consumed rather a lot of blood, so are difficult to detect in the early stages. On occasion, though, we've seen ticks crawling around in her fur before they've bitten. At this stage they look like tiny mites.

I wouldn't worry too much--after eleven years of this none of us have ever been bitten. Ticks are rather torpid, stupid creatures that move very slowly. I'm sure they must drop off her and lie low in the carpet but they never seem to jump on any of us! They certainly won't crawl around the house on the prowl for blood. Their tactic appears to be to lie in wait until something actively brushes against them, then they'll attach themselves to the new host.

My advice would be, if you go for walks in wooded or grassy areas, check your clothes (particularly your socks and trouserlegs) when you get home for little creepy crawlies, and if you're concerned, talk to your vet about ways of keeping ticks off pets. In my experience though, ticks are loathe to bite humans.
OP dhuhkosi 03 Apr 2008
In reply to Alex Roddie:

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the reply. I just live close to Zürich and the Swiss government actually is recommending people to get immunised against Lyme's disease in my area. Hence my paranoia!

See document: I know it's in German, sorry.

http://www.gd.zh.ch/content/internet/gd/de/home.SubContainerList.SubContain...
 Toccata 03 Apr 2008
In reply to dhuhkosi:

Ask your vet for Frontline spot on. Formerly prescribed as an anti-flea, -tick and -lice prophylactic, it has been taken off the prescription list and can be bought over the counter. Vets don't like this, so they will try and sell you prescription products for fleas, thus requiring you to a) pay for a consultation, and b) spend yor money with them. Tell them it is for ticks, and if they still won't sell it to you (or try and convince you they need to see the cat first, which is a lie), it can be bought by mail order. It is very effective if you apply it every four weeks.
 pog100 03 Apr 2008
In reply to dhuhkosi:

There are loads of threads and an article on ticks here, if you search. As far as I know the meningitis virus isn't present in UK ticks but the Lyme's disease bactrium, which gives the symptoms you mention, is. It is recommended that you pull ticks out with special tweezers or a hook, to avoid squashing and squeezing their contents into you/ the dog. Wash your harnds thoroughly afterwards.

I don't think you can do anything to stop cats picking them up other than stopping them going out!

BTW I lived in Zurich for 5 years!
Cats 03 Apr 2008
In reply to dhuhkosi:

Second the Frontline suggestion, but go straight to the Internet to buy it if you can where you live. It's easy to obtain over the Internet in the UK - the only question is which supplier is cheapest....
 Al Evans 03 Apr 2008
In reply to Alex Roddie: When I was fell running on Jura a good rubbing in of Deap Heat on the bare legs kept them at bay. lots of the runners suffered badly with them, but I was warned in advance.
 liz j 03 Apr 2008
In reply to Cats:
Frontline is excellent and I've never had any bother with my vets letting me have it.
Cats 03 Apr 2008
In reply to liz j:

Yes, the vets sell it to you quite happily, but it's usually somewhat cheaper on the Internet...
OP dhuhkosi 03 Apr 2008
In reply to Al Evans:

Perhaps I should rub Deap Heat on my cats each morning

Thank you all for the advice - I shall go and get some Frontline and see if that helps.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...