UKC

self-locking 'krabs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ee 03 Apr 2008
have bought some new karabiners with the view of using as part of top rope rigging.any potential probs with type of 'krab as opposed to a screwgate?
 eirenutter 03 Apr 2008
In reply to ian carruthers: horrible things
 LiamDobson 03 Apr 2008
In reply to ian carruthers: are they the real fiddly ones that you have to like twist and pull down and push the gate in?

i hate them
OP Ee 03 Apr 2008
In reply to LiamDobson: liam,wouldn't describe them as fiddly,seem very straight forward.are advertised on v12 web site as ideal for building anchors/belays etc.
 LiamDobson 03 Apr 2008
In reply to ian carruthers: maybe its jsut me who finds them fiddly then

then again my only experience of them is on an auto belay when im dredding letting go and seeing it wizzing up to the top
 jkarran 04 Apr 2008
In reply to ian carruthers:

Probably better than screwgates for the chronically lax. I went rope-soloing tonight and when it came to disassembling the belay system I found every single gate undone... slack even by my low standards!

jk
 JDDD 04 Apr 2008
> (In reply to LiamDobson) liam,wouldn't describe them as fiddly,seem very straight forward.are advertised on v12 web site as ideal for building anchors/belays etc.

They would say that - they want you to buy them. I personally don't like them either. Screwgates have been around for ages and are fine.
GO 04 Apr 2008

I used to use these for clipping bolts where there was a danger of the gate being opened when pressed against the rock (usually when you climb up and over an overhang).

But that was in the days when I used to do hard routes.

I never found them fiddly and still use them now - albeit in rather less stressed situations.
 Morgan Woods 04 Apr 2008

nearly as big a faff as those belay master crabs.

petzl ball lock ones are quite good but a little bit exe.
 Ridge 04 Apr 2008
In reply to Jon Dittman:

I seem to recall Noel Edmonds having a fatality on one of his TV shows a while back that involved a self-locking krab?
 gear boy 04 Apr 2008
In reply to Ridge: i think it was actually just a snapgate in that incedence
 mrjonathanr 04 Apr 2008
you want to be certain a fixed crab stays shut, particularly if rubbing on edges, etc?
doesn't matter what you use, snap links are fine, just use 2, back to back. the rope cannot come out.
 GrahamD 04 Apr 2008

For what you want them for they are fine. I regularly use one I found as the main part of my abseil set up. Their main disadvantage is if you try to operate them whilst in extremis, they are a load more fiddly than a standard screwgate, thats all.
 Merlin 08 Apr 2008
In reply to ian carruthers: I bought one recently and have found it ideal once I could open it one handed. Mine is the twist and push, but they also do another one which is just a push lock I think, this would be even better but only in situations where you could keep an eye on it.
 James Oswald 08 Apr 2008
they are so annoying
Earl Tyrconnell-Smythe 08 Apr 2008

i had two but just sold them unused as they were too fiddely in the house for a "winter gloves on test".

for summer for what you say you will get away with them.

on a pitch id hate to be trying to use one one handed. in winter no way even screwgates freeze up.

leave em for the tree surgons.

if there branded ones the'll go quickly on ebay mine did

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...