UKC

Olympic torch on Everest: hands-on politics at 8000m?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Darragh 08 Apr 2008
As has been very widely reported in the press, the Chinese government seek to maximize the propaganda potential of the daft international Olympic torch procession, the most objectionable leg of which will be a triumphantist rally through Tibet next month. (Fun fact: the torch procession itself was inaugurated by the Nazis for the great 1936 Games.) As has also been widely reported (except of course in China) this has provoked an admirable measure of hostility so far - chaos and farce in London and Paris - and it's certain to continue in San Francisco tomorrow and elsewhere throughout April. (Even the International Olympic Committee – hardly a bastion of progressive political engagement - have today protested to the Chinese for the way they’ve commandeered of their little symbol.)

As you probably know if you’re reading this, they even plan to schlep their glorified Trangia to the top of Everest (/Chomolungma). The Chinese government tried to bully the Nepalese one out of issuing permits for the mountain this year, presumably to prevent politically engaged climbers from spoiling their party with pro-Tibet etc. protests on the mountain. But the other day we read on UKC that permits have been issued after all - to climbers who promise to hang around below 7300m until the Chinese propagandists and world media have finished their thing and moved on.

Now, this may be a wee prejudice of mine, but I’m thinking that by and large, Himalayan climbers are a liberal and engaged bunch, politically speaking, and some of them even have a special interest in the Tibetan situation. (Moreover, whatever about the western guides and clients, I bet many *Sherpas* have strong views – ideological of course, but also I bet some are annoyed on a purely practical level at the effect a ban would have had on their livelihoods. My question is: permits or no, are we next month going to see high-altitude analogues of what happened in London and Paris this week? A brigade of Chinese heavies in blue tracksuits and sunglasses surrounded by a phalanx Nepalese riot cops in duvet suits, surrounded by a host of colourful climber-protesters, all milling and clawing towards the summit? I hope nobody gets hurt, but if this ridiculous global rally continues according to its intended itinerary, something’s got to kick off on the hill, right?

Jonno 08 Apr 2008
In reply to Darragh:

Sounds fun ! I'm not sure the Chinese security goons are so tough that they could wear their shell suits at 8000m though ?
nonymouse 08 Apr 2008
In reply to Darragh: On a more serious matter, why were the Chinese goons allowed to man-handle members of the public on the streets of London? Were any of them prosecuted/cautioned? If not, why not? The job of public control in public places in this country rests with the police.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...