UKC

Mountain/climbing art and competitions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
SammyB 11 Jul 2001
I have been generally depressed by the lack of support that other media (namely fine art, sculpture and mixed media art) have received from organisers of the mountain "art" competitions. This is not intended to single out UKClimbing in any way, as several more traditional publications have at times undertaken photo/art competitions, only to leave out the "art" bit when it comes to it.

Last year an art competition was in fact held (to do with the Kendal film festival), but the details and contacts were so difficult to get hold of that in the end it was unclear whether there were any categories and a deadline at all...hence no entry.

Have any of the representatives of the climbing media who commonly post here considered this? Is the problem down to lack of interest? Support? Organisation? Will?

It is hard enough for traditional/fine artists to make a mark, even more so when their main field of interest is a minority one. I feel that they could be given more support - which they deserve, and at the end of the day, the platform to stand on.

Sam
Tim B 12 Jul 2001
In reply to SammyB:

Perhaps the dominance of photo competitions stems from a general perception that there aren't enough trad/fine artists doing work depicting (or inspired by) mountains to make a decent competition??

After all, most people have a camera. Nick Smiths post about the impending end of the UKClimbing photo comp mentions 200 photos, suggesting that a lot of people also have digital cameras or scanners. I'd be stunned if any 'Mountain Art' competion received 200 non-photographic entries.

Having said that, I agree with you that there's a lack of exposure of non-photo work. The one I'm most familiar with is Longlands, the caff above Outside in Hathersage. They always seem to have small exhibitions of crag/climbing art, some of which is shite, and some of which is lovely.
dan evans 12 Jul 2001
In reply to Tim B: doesnt jude touloume calvert have anything to say on this matter.
In reply to SammyB: UKClimbing would be happy to accept photos (ahem) of climbing art (paintings, drawings, sculpture, etc), or indeed video clips.

This competition was specifically a 'photo' competition, but a future comp could be climbing art, if there were sufficient interest?

Cheers
Gareth Stott 12 Jul 2001
In reply to Nick Smith:
Gallery in Grindleford has a variety of photos and art of mainly peak rock.

I've got a lovely print of stanage in a storm by K(ieth) Baggaley from there - his stuff is well worth a look. Saving for an original.
SammyB 13 Jul 2001
In reply to Nick Smith:
There may not be the interest...there may be, I just don't think it has been given a "proper" go yet. Thanks for your reply anyway, it is promising to hear. In retrospect my own post sounded fairly whiney, but it has got a response which is a good sign of life! It may already be too late this time (I'm about to hop on a bike to Cornwall, no scanner), but I'll see what I can do over the weekend.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...