UKC

Suunto compass-worth buying or stick with Silva T4

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mat_galvin 09 Apr 2008
Any views?

Silva ones (type 4) have been okay but numbers rubbing off quite quickly and luminous bit on bearing has started to move around.

Anyone tried the Suunto equivalents? Any good?

Cheers
Mat
OP mat_galvin 10 Apr 2008
In reply to mat_galvin:
Anyone use a compass!!??
 PeterM 10 Apr 2008
In reply to mat_galvin:

A what?
In reply to mat_galvin:
Mat, send the compass back to Silva and they may replace it free of charge unless its obviously been used for years!
Silva are aware of the problems with some of the type 4 compasses.

Cheers
Mark
 yer maw 10 Apr 2008
In reply to mat_galvin: I've used Type 4s at work taking kids out etc. but own a suunto M3 for personal use and find it much better to use.

http://www.suunto.com/suunto/main/product_long.jsp?CONTENT%3C%3Ecnt_id=1013...
OP mat_galvin 10 Apr 2008
In reply to yer maw:
Cheers-think I might give one a go this weekend and see what they're like.
BennyC 11 Apr 2008
In reply to yer maw:

Anyone know where you can buy a Suunto compass from? Every shop seems to sell only Silva ones.
 yer maw 12 Apr 2008
In reply to BennyC: I did a search on the web and the most local one to me was the binoculars shop in Rose street, Edinburgh. Silva have cornered the market with an inferior product in my opinion.
 GarethSL 12 Apr 2008
In reply to mat_galvin: *tut* I just gave away a perfectly good type 4 on here for free t'other day.
 Lemony 12 Apr 2008
In reply to yer maw: In what ways is it superior, I'm looking to get a compass for someone and wondering if it's worth tracking one down?
 droites 12 Apr 2008
In reply to yer maw: Where did you get yours? Haven't managed to find one in the UK yet!!
 yer maw 12 Apr 2008
In reply to Lemony: bezel has chunky bits which make it easier to turn with gloves, the magnetic declination feature is great as it saves you adding it everytime you go from grid to mag, it works on both sides of the equator ( makes no difference to me) and it isn't a Silva so you have something different from everyone else.
OP mat_galvin 13 Apr 2008
In reply to yer maw:
Hiya- bought one from Hitch and Hike in Bamford for £30. It's got a worldwide needle, so it is fine in Southern Hem as well, and a clinometer. Not sure how useful the latter is, but will be interesting finding out.

Really impressed so far. Needle settles down really quickly and very easy to use. Not regretting splashing the cash so far.

Cheers
Mat
 droites 15 Apr 2008
In reply to mat_galvin: Does the worlgwide one still have the roamers for 1:50k and 1:25k? I think somebody told me it didnt.
Cheers
Si
 KA 15 Apr 2008
In reply to yer maw: I bought a Suunto M3, only to find out that the needle for the clinometer was missing! Pretty big production error I'd say!
OP mat_galvin 15 Apr 2008
In reply to speedysi: Yes-on there and on one of the prominent positions near the top of the base plate.
 Henry Iddon 16 Apr 2008
In reply to BennyC:
> (In reply to yer maw)
>
> Anyone know where you can buy a Suunto compass from? Every shop seems to sell only Silva ones.

Take a bearing, you'll soon find one.....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...