UKC

Keswick Mountain Rescue

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sarah R 12 Apr 2008
I was on their website recently and found an absolutely appalling call out!

"A party called 999 as they were lost in the forest. They had left their car at the Visitor Centre and were walking on a forest road near marker posts 71 and 12. They advised the Team Leader that they were cold and wet and their dog was shivering, but were otherwise unhurt. They asked when we would be there to rescue them. They were advised to follow the forest road until they re-located themselves. A further phone call from the party 1 hr later advised that they were back at their car safe and well, having asked a local to drive a mile to take them back to their car."

And this was at 14.20!

Can you believe it?!

Sarah
In reply to Sarah R:

blah blah "righteous indignation" blah blah
OP Sarah R 12 Apr 2008
In reply to Fawksey:

seriously though! it's worrying!
In reply to Sarah R: I cant sleep at night
 smithy 12 Apr 2008
In reply to Sarah R:

They should have used some mustard to write a note on a piece of paper, tucked it under the dogs collar and sent it for help, just like in scooby doo.

OP Sarah R 12 Apr 2008
In reply to smithy:

Haha that would've been good!
Am I the only one that thinks it's terrible? Maybe I'm missing something! lol
 smithy 12 Apr 2008
In reply to Sarah R:

To be honest I kind of half expect it really! Just remember, these are the same kind of people that get really mad at the government and the police because they were caught driving through a red light. Not the brightest bunch ever!

matt_welborn 12 Apr 2008
In reply to Sarah R:
Its shocking, it really is!!

people dont realise that these people give up their time, and dont get paid to rescue people, sometimes putting there lives on the line, and saving someone from a road is just daft. that time wasted on them could prevent someone in 'real' need of help, getting help.

their not guides to get people out of a forest, but for people who are in real danger!

more respect really does need to be shown to the MR teams around the UK!!
In reply to matt_welborn: Them folks from Kirkby Stephen MRT were very nice last Sunday at Westmorland services
 Jon Wickham 12 Apr 2008
In reply to Sarah R: Definately bad, but not the first or the last of these sorts of callout.
OP Sarah R 12 Apr 2008
In reply to Jon Wickham:

I think it's sad that the MRTs don't get the recognition or respect they deserve...you never know when your life may be in their hands!
In reply to Sarah R: quiet scary having a volvo mechanic who likes dressing up and driving blue light response trying to save ones life
 matt_welborn 12 Apr 2008
In reply to Sarah R:
fawksey: would you be willing to put your job, family and personal health, second in order help others with no finacial reward, and total lack of recognition?
Deejay 12 Apr 2008
In reply to matt_welborn:

You've not checked his profile then?

DJ
 Jon Wickham 12 Apr 2008
In reply to matt_welborn: You might want to read Fawksey's profile matt.
 sutty 12 Apr 2008
In reply to matt_welborn:

Have you actually read Fawksey's profile, if not do so before making daft comments
 matt_welborn 12 Apr 2008
In reply to Sarah R:
appologies but you cant write something like that and not expect a response.

i just feel strongly about it thats all, and it looked like you were having a pop.

appologies again!!

matt
 matt_welborn 12 Apr 2008
In reply to Sarah R: not exactly a daft comment though really?!?!
In reply to matt_welborn: Ive already done it and I never had to put on the line any of the things that you have mentioned. There are some very decent dedicated people in MR and I have every pleasure in helping them as and when I can which i have done on several ccasions and there are some wannabees wearing their underpants on the outside

Remember, they want to do it
 matt_welborn 12 Apr 2008
In reply to Sarah R: yeah good point!!

appologies again i didnt realise who you were etc, and its just a subject i feel strongly about!!

matt
OP Sarah R 12 Apr 2008
In reply to Fawksey:

Did you not get annoyed with people who you felt were taking advantage? I'm genuinely interested btw and not wanting to be seen as taking the pee!
It's a very admirable service you provided!
In reply to Sarah R: the times i felt slightly annoyed were searches in urban areas when there was no intelligence to suggest that the missing person was in the area at all but it wouldnt ahve been good PR to refuse

I otherwise got annoyed at members of MR who drove blue light respnose when it wasnt necessary "blue light daft" its known as.

Its only my opinion but I dont think they are there to police the hills and me personally I dont mind seeing people up hills in cords with an asda bag with a twix and a can of fanta
In reply to Sarah R: Matt is right in his own way, but some people think its ok for MR to be a taxi service just like some people think its ok to change a flat tyre in the fast lane, one needs just to take a deep reath on occasion, the team leader will sort the wheat from the chaff on call outs anyway
OP Sarah R 12 Apr 2008
In reply to Fawksey:

It was just that callout listing i posted at the beginning - Having spent alot of time in Whinlatter in the dark and in the light it seemed ridiculous that people would call the MRT out especially at 2.20 in the afternoon - surely there would've been people around to ask too!
Maybe i'm just too cynical.
I have a lot of respect for the MRTs!
 John Gresty 12 Apr 2008
In reply to Sarah R: Having read plenty of mountain rescue yearly reports, I find this annoying; but surprising, not at all.
In reply to Sarah R: Yes it was stupid and wasnt really a call out, Im suprised it was logged as a call out but if it was logged that was probably to increase the number of call outs as a way of justifying their existence

I dont want to sound like all Im doing is knocking MR, I still invest my time on occasion in support
OP Sarah R 12 Apr 2008
In reply to Fawksey:

The Keswick MRT now list their calls as well as ones they go out to - I forget why but it is explained on their website.
I think if you've worked as part of a MRT then you have every right to express your opinions on the matter! =)
Comms27 12 Apr 2008
In reply to Fawksey:
> but if it was logged that was probably to increase the number of call outs as a way of justifying their existence
>

Quite a few teams log non call outs (as in non hill) but only on thier websites. I suppose its a way of showing Joe Public just how varied MR can be as opposed to out and out justification of existence.

Comms27 12 Apr 2008
In reply to Fawksey:

You ex BPMRT by the way?
In reply to Sarah R: If anyone can get in to their local team I would suggest they should, I have agood foundation in Casualty Care aswell as being buried in snow for dogs to find and being thrown out of helicopters never mind the highs and lows of helping people in need - thanks to MR
In reply to Comms27: No R&PMRT

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...