UKC

Fuel Consumption on Petrol Stoves (Primus VariFuel)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Ian Leader 15 Nov 2002
Hi,

Does anyone have a good rule of thumb for Petrol stove fuel requirements? I'll be using a Primus VariFuel burning Petrol for a backpacking trip in South America next month, camping at around 4,000 m most of the time. I'm trying to work out how much fuel I'll need per day, but the figures Primus quote for burn time are somewhat vague, and I don't know what effect the altitude will have.

Any advice greatfully recieved.

Ian.
Jamie L 15 Nov 2002
In reply to Ian Leader:

Hi Ian. During the Summer I was part of an expedition to Spitsbergen up in the far North. We were using Primus Omnifuel stoves and we worked on the basis of half a liter of fuel per tent per day, that is in tents of three. there was always fuel left over but it worked out quite well. the stoves were being used quite a bit on ice and snow in fairly cold temperatures.hope this helps.
 Doug 15 Nov 2002
In reply to Jamie L:
Ski touring in Canada we reckoned on a quarter litre per person per day (Coleman fuel) which was slightly too much, based on advice from a friend who used to work as a guide out of Banff & Calgary. This allowed for melting snow for all water, if you get water from streams etc you could reduce it a lot.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...