UKC

NEWS: FRIDAY NIGHT VIDEO: The Soloing Net

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: right, i'm breaking my silence just for this one thread. I'm suiing.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=281526&v=1#x4176382
 James Moyle 18 Apr 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: I thought you'd gone a bit quite recently, Franco - assumed you had become a monk or something. Do stop by and say something contraversial again soon!
 Will Hunt 18 Apr 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

What a joker! Thats not soloing! Looks like a bit of fun but he cant really call that a solo ascent.

This whole whats a solo, whats a boulder problem? argument is very UKC by the way. When it all becomes that contentious then its probably just best to go climbing.
 datoon 18 Apr 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: yawn...
In reply to Will Hunt:

Very strange, aren't they, some of these new contentions? People unable to join two ropes together, not sure what it means to solo, not sure (apparently) whether you can hurt yourself climbing, not sure about what you do when your rope runs out and you have to climb another pitch ... Multipitching, Wow! "I can climb at 7a. Are there any good single pitch routes at around E1 in the Llanberis Pass that I might be able to climb? Ideally I'd like to do a very steep and sustained single-pitch route that you can abseil down from. Any suggestions?"
 Jon_Warner 18 Apr 2008
In reply to Franco Cookson: I saw this reply coming a mile off!!
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 18 Apr 2008
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

I like the "Where are the best 200m 5+ sport within 20 miles of Watford?" ones best.

Chris
OP Michael Ryan 18 Apr 2008
In reply to Chris Craggs:
> (In reply to Gordon Stainforth)
>
> I like the "Where are the best 200m 5+ sport within 20 miles of Watford?" ones best.

link?
 DaveWarb 18 Apr 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: lol
 aln 19 Apr 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: That looks great!!! Can I get one?
 tobyfk 19 Apr 2008
In reply to Will Hunt:

> This whole whats a solo, whats a boulder problem? argument is very UKC by the way.

Canadian wit can be quite low-key ... but anyone who interprets Matt Maddaloni's stunt as a serious attempt to redefine soloing has definitely had a sense of humour bypass. Think "Squamish climbers getting bored waiting for winter to arrive" instead. http://climblife.blogspot.com/2007/11/free-soloing-513.html

Matt actually works as a rigger - see other parts of the blog.

aln 19 Apr 2008
In reply to tobyfk: I'm a Scottish climber waiting for summer to arrive, I want one.

I have now ditched my pad and will spend next week crocheting a net for Font next Friday.

Bulls Crack 19 Apr 2008

As said on the original thread - why bother? May as well top-rope it - a lot less faff.
 aln 19 Apr 2008
In reply to Bulls Crack: But nowhere near as much fun.
WeatherGeek 19 Apr 2008

What next, a big inflatable bouncy castle ?

Saw a guy dragging two double mattresses about at Bonehill Rocks on Dartmoor 5 years or so ago. Chatting to him, he was planning on sleeping on them there that night after he’d finished bouldering, mind you he was barking mad.
 Martin Jones 19 Apr 2008
In reply to WeatherGeek:

And if we all help build a giant wall across the top of Lawrencefield, and then wait nine or ten years, Parthian will be a DWS. Now who's mad, B?

Remember - it started here.
 JWT 23 Apr 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: mmm, i dont think so

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...