UKC

Mutant 38 Evaluation: Watch the Video & JOIN THE DEBATE

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Osprey Packs 21 Apr 2008

The Mutant 38 is the result of extensive testing and feedback from European climbers in particular, people just like you.

The Mutant 38 includes features such as a floating / removable lid, quick-release ‘Z-compression’ system and fixed ‘reverse-wrap’ stowable hipbelt with hypalon racking system. With an easily removable bivi pad and framesheet, it is possible to quickly reduce the weight of the Mutant from 1.28kg to 0.95kg, providing a simple, strong and lightweight climbing pack solution.

Be it a short multi-pitch route, or a multi-day mountain epic, the Mutant 38 is designed to take you to the places you want to go.

Osprey Europe Ltd
http://www.ospreypacks.com

ANC 22 Apr 2008
In reply to Osprey Packs:

Like the fact he had a stove, with no pans or food!!

Bar that the pack looks awsome!!
 dapperdave 22 Apr 2008
In reply to Angus N Clark: It looked like a Jetboil, the pan is part of the stove.
In reply to dapperdave: So... who one then?

And what was their catch phrase?
Osprey Packs 14 May 2008
In reply to Tom Ripley and all those who entered the Mutant 38 Evaluation:

Hello Tom and all those who entered the Mutant 38 Evaluation. We have just chosen the 6 finalists for the Mutant Evaluation, and we are currently in the process of contacting those people, so please forgive us if we don't announce the winners names quite yet.

The team here at Osprey packs do however want to thank all of those who entered the Mutant 38 Evaluation. The standard of entry was extremely high, proving it nearly impossible to choose just 6 finalists from over 560 entries by the end of the application period. Thank you to you all!

This is not the end of the line for the Mutant Evaluation by any means. We would urge all of you who entered the Mutant 38 Evaluation to keep an eye on UK Climbing over the next week as we move into the actual Evaluation stage of the promotion, where all of your opinions and feedback (however big or small) could prove to be extremely interesting.

We'll keep you posted...

Martin
Osprey Packs

Osprey Packs 19 May 2008
Hello All and welcome to the Osprey Mutant 38 Evaluation

We have been sifting through some 560 application forms over the last week or so to find our six finalists for the Mutant 38 Evaluation. This proved to be a very difficult task, as all of the application forms were of a very high standard. Thank you again to all of you who entered the competition.

Congratulations to our six finalists:

Caralyn Reynolds
Christian Lenehan
Daniel Goodwin
Tim Blakemore
Dan Cowley
Luke Brooks

Each of the above finalist should be receiving a new Mutant 38 pack ready for evalutaion as I type this. To get things going, each of the chosen Evaluators will be posting their first impressions of the new Mutant 38 pack as soon as they receive them, so expect to see some initial feedback over the next couple of days. Then, over the coming weeks, the six Mutant 38 Evaluators, along with key members of the Osprey Packs team, will be regularly posting their thoughts, opinions and experiences of the Mutant 38 on this thread during the build-up to the Mutant 38's release into stores in July 2008.

However, we don't just want our evaluators, employees and athletes to comment here. This is intended to be an open forum, and as a result we are open to any and all input and feedback from the UKC community as a whole. Perhaps you have seen the Mutant video and have a comment, or maybe a question about the new Mutant 38? Whatever your thoughts, we would be interested to hear them. We are aiming to create as much interesting conversation and debate surrounding the Mutant 38 as possible, and this is very dependent upon you the UKC community. So what are you waiting for...come in and JOIN THE DEBATE NOW!

Right, that's enough talking from me. Thanks again to all who entered this competition, and let the Evaluation commence...

Martin
Osprey Packs
 Caralynh 19 May 2008

Cheers Martin, mine arrived today

I know you wanted first impressions, but first just a few thoughts on what I'd be after on this sort of pack:
How water resistant is the fabric?
How stable will it be for climbing with?
How fiddly are the closures etc, and can I use them with gloves/mitts in winter?
Will it work OK with a harness and can I rack gear on the hip belt?
Is it easy to stow walking poles outside?

So, first impressions:
Nice colour (hey, you did ask for FIRST impressions and that was my first on opening the box!)
Good rope strap and compression straps
Chunky closures - should be easy to use with gloves on
Wide opening should make it easy to pack, and easy to find stuff inside.
No gear loops on the belt
Strangely large axe attachment loops (assuming they don't have another purpose)
The compression system seems to indicate that once climbing gear is removed, the sack can be squished down so it's not saggy to climb with.

And some first questions about the design, that will be answered through use:
Will the "daisy chain" sort of things on the belt be too fiddly to put gear on? (Large krabs certainly won't fit through, though quickdraws should do.
What are the little pale grey bungee cord bits for? I'm assuming pole attachment but they are a very odd shape - is this to make it easier to grip with cold hands?
What's the horizontal dark grey rubberised bit for across the front? Haul point?
What's the H shaped bit between the axe loops for? My current sack has similar for guarding axe heads - I presume this is the same?
Will I get on OK with the large pre-production back size? (I know this will be remedied long term Martin, I'll just need to remember that through initial use)

Generally it looks nice - it's just a shame that the evaluation period has only just started - it would have been nice to play with the pack on winter routes as well as summer walks / walk-ins / scrambles etc since I can see it being a very good winter sack, and designed as such.

Osprey Packs 19 May 2008
In reply to Caralynr:
Glad you've received you Mutant 38 ok, and thanks for getting things going on the Forum.

As you have quite rightly identified, I think that many of your questions will be answered with use, especially those questions concerning function of specific features on the Mutant.

I can answer a couple of your questions just for clarity and to help you get the most out of your Mutant whilst evaluating;

The Hipalon racking system on the hip-belt was developed (with in-put from our sponsored athlete Matt Helliker) to provide a system that was secure in use and very discreet when not being used. Its true it may be hard to fit a HMS crab in the loops, but usually only snap gate crabs are used for racking (see the Muatnt video for more info).

The ice-axe bungee loops on the pack are indeed designed to be easy quick attach / release whilst using gloves, hence their 'unusual' shape.

The reinforced horizontal handle across the front of the pack can indeed be used for hauling or as a grab-handle.

The H-shaped loop between the axe loops is to secure the hipbelt buckle when it is 'reverse-wrapped' to stow it out of the way for use with a climbing harness.

I hope the above pointers help. The Mutant 38 video is a great reference point and contains loads of useful information on the features and function of the new Mutant 38.

Thanks for the input Caralynr!

Martin
Osprey Packs

Osprey Packs 19 May 2008
tim blakemore 19 May 2008
I’ve just received the Mutant 38 and these are my initial findings/impressions. I intend to use the sac over the summer alpine season where it’ll be used daily from June to October as my main guiding and climbing sac.

Firstly, the sac is VERY technical. Someone has taken a lot of time to think things through here. I get to see loads of kit which is funky but just doesn’t actually work! My first impressions were that it might be over engineered but on inspection it’s just bloody good.

It’s light but not stupidly so: I’ve tried fell running sacs which almost made it to the top of a route then ‘bombproof’ sacs which weigh more than 2kg before you even start loading them. Time will tell, but it looks fine for Scottish winter rigours and alpine routes.

I won’t go into everything about the sac but the big things that stand out for me early on are:

• Versatility. Because of all the features (reduction straps/removable lid etc) you can use the sac for day cragging through to multi day face climbing comfortably. I think the blurb says 38 – 48 litres

• Attention to detail. The little things are outstanding. From drain holes, to a useable (not 3 foot of foam) hipbelt, to a functional lid (or not if your going light). Even the lid attachment straps don’t dangle when used without a lid (if you have a sac with this feature then you will know exactly what I mean) thanks to a simple solution.

I first saw this sac on a Guides test and was impressed then. Having got hold of one I still am. I’m looking forward to the next 4 months of testing.

Tim Blakemore
 Dan Goodwin 20 May 2008

I received my new Mutant 38 pack in the post this morning from Osprey. It looks like a great pack on first impressions; I spend a lot of time with a sack on my back in both work and playtime so I am pretty keen to get the right thing on my back.
Looking at the it looks to have all the things that I want on a pack but not all the the things I don’t want, packs either seem to be one or the other either far to many straps and dangly bits that seem to be there to create weight and serve no purpose or none at all and are made from lightweight material and fall apart.
One of the things that I am keen for is that its tough enough to withstand being bashed about on Cairngorm granite in the winter and lying around at the bottom of the crag in summer, the material the Mutant is made from seems to be really tough but not to compromising on the weight.
The back panel and straps look to be really well designed And comfortable with handy gear racking loops on the waist belt and compression straps on the side for tools or baguettes!
One of the best features that I have found on this sack is one I have never seen on another. I am really keen when I have geared to clip my waist belt round the back of my rucksack so I don’t have too much clutter round my waist. The Mutant has a little bit that you can clip the waist belt into round the back, which should prove very handy and will stop it rolling off the bottom.
In short it appears to be very well thought out and designed and also looks pretty snappy to!
All that’s left to do is stuff some kit into it and head out on the hill and give it a good testing!

Dan Goodwin
 Luke01 21 May 2008
In reply to Osprey Packs: How exciting, my new pack has arrived!

My first impressions are that it is a very clean design, nice and simple with sensible features that I think will come in very useful.

I did take it to the crag this evening and it seems like a nice, easy to use cragging sack. It has a large opening, making it easy to pack, it's a good size, it's very comfortable to wear, it's light, and it looks good!

One thing that I am concerned about is the size of the buckles (the ones to close the lid), I imagine they may be difficult to use with gloves on etc.

In all a promising rucksack, I'm looking forward to taking it into the mountains.

Cheers,
Luke
Osprey Packs 21 May 2008
In reply to Grit Addict:

Hello grit-addict,

Thank you for your initial impressions, it’s good to hear already you have had use out of the pack. Glad to hear that you like the Mutant’s simple, durable and lightweight design!

I would say that a lot of initial thoughts either positive or negative will iron themselves out during use. As you can see on the Mutant Video we made a conscious effort for Matt to be wearing gloves as he went through the pack, just to show how user friendly the features/buckles were.

It should be an interesting couple of months testing I think, enjoy the mountains!

Thanks

Tom
Osprey Packs

Caralynh 21 May 2008

Just a question - if the evaluation period finishes in July, when the sacks hit the shops, how will our feedback be used? i.e. if a few of us identified the same problem, presumably you don't have the option to change it?
Osprey Packs 21 May 2008
In reply to Caralynr:
Thanks for the valid question Caralynr

In the Mutant 38 Evaluation, we want to know what you think of the new Mutant 38 pack and how it performs. A direct result of this will be product feedback from your experiences whilst using the Mutant 38.

Product feedback is always extremely valuable to us from whatever source. The Mutant 38 has already undergone a thorough testing phase during development amongst Osprey staff and sponsored athletes. It is true that any of your feedback or conclusions coming from the Mutant 38 Evaluation will not immediately go into the Mutant as design changes for the first production packs, as the Mutant 38 packs destined for stores in July are being manufactured as I type this. However we feel very confident that you are evaluating a 99.99% finished product.

Any feedback which is derived from the Mutant 38 Evaluation will however be ploughed back into further development of the Mutant and other Osprey climbing packs for the future. Osprey has a 35 year history of pack design, and most of those pack designs have been improved and evolved over the years from their original forms thanks to factors such as user feedback. Be it for climbing, backpacking or travelling, we are always interested to hear user feedback and suggestions for improvements to our products.

Martin
Osprey Packs
 Caralynh 21 May 2008

OK thanks. Mutley (yes, he has a name, Mutley the Mutant. I don't usually name anything but if I have to analyse it so much, it may as well get a name!) is coming cragging at Pembroke this weekend. We'll see if he's on best behaviour...

Just out of interest, why did you select the winners? What particually stood about their application?

P.S: Would be interested in a design for another climbing sack?
 droites 21 May 2008
In reply to Osprey Packs: Looks like a great sack. Any idea on a RRP?
 joe.91 22 May 2008
In reply to Osprey Packs: why don't yopu put some elasctic bungee straps on the front like the Exposure 50 has so you can strap crampons to the outside? Also i think you should bring out a larger verison in the future, about 55L
 dan cowley 22 May 2008

Looks like I'm last to recieve my pack and give initial impressions but here goes!

Very similar impressions to those guys above ie: looks great to start with, seems very comfortable with loads of kit chucked in, Good combinations of features, not too complex.

One concern raised, can the compression straps on the side really take a roll-mat? They seem to be very similar to the size of the ones on my girlfriends crux rucksack which are not big enough for a decent thick roll mat. This is something I will test,

One of the highlights is the securing system for the hipbelt when tabbed back around the pack. I have always done this anyway when climbing with a pack on but to have it more secure and not smacking me in the back of the legs when it falls off is a good idea!

Also having a good sized top packet makes anything rate highly in my book!

One thing I have always wanted from a pack is somewhere to tuck away long straps that are not in use so they don't blow about in the wind and destroy my face. This is something that this pack does not address but is something I would like to see sometime in the future!!!!

So first off, looks like a great pack and I'm looking forward to using it as much as possible over the next few months!
chembhoysh 22 May 2008
In reply to Osprey Packs: Well, I was on Skye when my pack tried to arrive - have eventually managed to get it through the door and used it today on the second day of my SPA assessment. (I passed!)

First impressions: why aren't there any side pockets?! I like the Ceres 50 sidepockets for scottish winter climbing and hill walking (bottle of water handy and camera in t'other). The straps are all quite well tied up - the two main closing straps don't flap down at all when the bags open since they are held up by loops of webbing. On the other hand the red compression strap over the top is really long and I'm not a big fan, initially anyway.

In terms of the functionality of all the iddy biddy features, only time will tell.

Packing it this morning was nice and easy coz of a wide opening mainly I think, its a good size for cragging.

Thats my thoughts for the time being... interested to see how durable the lighter fabric will be.

Turrah,
Christian
Osprey Packs 23 May 2008
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:
Hello Tom,

As I mentioned, it was a very difficult task to narrow the 500+ application forms down to a final 6 for the Evaluation, a task made especially difficult by the very high standard of all of the application forms we received.

We ended up settling on the winners through a combination of their interesting 15 word answer as to why they should be given the chance to evaluate the Mutant 38, coupled with their varied climbing backgrounds and experience.

At present, we are not directly looking for any new climbing pack designs, however we are always open to new suggestions of all kinds, especially suggestions on imporvements for our products. Thanks for taking the interest in Osprey packs.

Martin
Osprey Packs
Osprey Packs 23 May 2008
In reply to speedysi:
Hi Speedysi,

Thanks for the interest in Osprey. When it is released into stores, the Mutant 38 will retail at £70.

I hope this helps....

Martin
Osprey Packs
Osprey Packs 23 May 2008
In reply to gt4_joe:
Hi gt4_joe,

Thanks for your post on the forum.

With regards to the bungee, we surveyed a large number of climbers and climbing store staff to ask if we should include a bungee with the pack or not. We had a mixed response, but the majority said not, but to include lash points on the front of the pack to fit bungee cord if you need it, so that's exactly what we did!

Thanks again for your thoughts, keep posting.

Tom
Osprey Packs
Osprey Packs 23 May 2008
In reply to gt4_joe:
Hi gt4_joe,

In response to the second part of your post, the Mutant 38 can be increased in capacity by 10 litres above its designated literage thanks to its floating lid, however we may look into making larger capacity Mutants available in future for extended expedition use.

Thanks for the post.

Tom
Osprey Packs
Osprey Packs 23 May 2008
In reply to chembhoysh:

Hi Christian,

Thanks for the initial feedback. Looking forward to seeing your posts about the performance of those 'iddy biddy' features during use! As you say, only time will tell....

Thanks,

Martin
Osprey Packs
 dan cowley 25 May 2008

Hello again,

Just thought I would avail everyone of my first real use of the pack and impressions.

Yesterday I went for a bumble around Ben Lawers and Meall nan Tarmachan, lovely day, lovely ridge and fantastic views. This is not ideal Mutant territory, there is no climbing, no winter action (although there was still snow to play in) and not even very much in my pack anyway!

Having said that, the Mutant felt comfortable for the whole journey. It did the best thing a rucksack can do and virtually dissapeared out of my mind after the first half hour or so.

While this test wasn't exactly harsh it did show me that walk-ins with the pack may be pretty comfortable although a heavier weight in the pack may have answered that question better (I just couldn't bring myself to load up too much!)

The only niggle I had was the size of the opening for the top pocket, nowhere near as big as my old osprey pack. A small issue, nothing more than a momentary curse but still, something that slightly bugged me!

I will keep you all informed of my next adventures!!!
 Luke01 25 May 2008
In reply to Osprey Packs: I took my mutant cragging the other day, going lightweight, just a rack and shoes etc and the rope under the lid. My gear nowhere near filled the sack so I compressed it down quite a bit. It performed very well as a smaller rucksack, still comfortable and holding it's shape very well.

Impressed so far!
Luke
chembhoysh 25 May 2008
Cragging yesterday at cambusbarron: tried climbing with the sack on (seconding a tricky severe) - clipped the waist straps around the back...

Positives: no restriction of movement, arms were free, head wasn't held forward (can't look up too well when wearing my ceres 50 in winter especially).

Slight concern: the pack seemed to swing lots from side to side, maybe I could have tightened all the straps a bit more, but it was rather quite off putting. It may be that this would be the case with most packs - but it seemed a little susceptible to it. Anyone else climbed with it on and waist straps clipped back yet??
Osprey Packs 27 May 2008
In reply to chembhoysh:

Hi chembhoysh,

Good to hear that you are out giving the pack a good testing, I wanted to get back to you re your slight concern of the pack not seeming to be to stable when climbing!

I've just returned from Alaska, where we managed to climb a new 1400m route on the east face of the Mooses Tooth; "There's a Moose Loose aboot this Hoose" (see thje image link above in this thread).

I climbed the route with the Mutant, the hip belt reversed wrapped for the whole 36 hours of none stop climbing, (only 2 hours of darkness in Alaska at this time of year!) and found it to be extremely stable and none restrictive to climb with. As a suggestion, maybe make sure that next time you are out climbing that its compressed as much as possible and pull in on the shoulder harness and load lifters a little and this will hopefully help.

Enjoy.

Matt Helliker
Sponsored Athlete
Osprey Packs
 Caralynh 27 May 2008

OK, the pack came to Pembroke at the weekend and was used as a general cragging sack. A few comments:

Positives:
Firstly, as I thought, very easy to pack due to the wide opening.
Rope strap useful and not at all too long (I was carrying a large, thick bulky ab rope that needed the long strap to do up properly)

Negatives:
Having actually worn the pack, I can safely say that there is no WAY I would ever be able to use the gear racking bits on the belt. They end up round my back, not near my sides, and of the 6 or so loops on each side, I can physically reach only one, and that's with a lot of twisting.
When on mountain routes or doing easy winter routes I often climb with a sack and I like the belt to stay on to take weight off my shoulders. Therefore I like using gear loops on hip belts, and with this pack it doesn't seem possible (I may yet improvise something!)

The back system is OK-ish but VERY bendy. With the top lid full of heavy-ish things (large pembroke guidebook, water bottle, lunch) that I usually carry in a lid's top sack, the sack deformed into a severe curve. This was aggravated by the ab rope on top.
Had the sack been totally full maybe it wouldn't have happened, but the ab rope was way too big to get inside the sack, so it had to go outside. On the walk between cliffs I put the heavy things in the body of the sack and this helped things a little, but it still wasn't ideal. And I'm used to being able to have a heavy lid if I want one!
It's quite possible that with more careful packing I'll be able to sort this out, but I'm not sure that a sack designed to be used in adverse conditions should have to be packed neatly.

For the record, pack carried:
Medical kit
Stuffsack with spare hat, gloves, torch and fleece etc
(these 2 items never leave my rucksacks)
rack
rock shoes
harness
helmet
waterproof
lunch box

and (initially in lid)
half litre water bottle
CC Pembroke guide (both bits so big!)
headtorch
handwarmers
cereal bars
 Stash 27 May 2008
In reply to Caralynr:
I think if you put a half litre water bottle and a Pembroke guide in the lid of almost any sack it will feel awful. but i like your honest report on the sack and look forward to getting one myself!
Im interested to see how the racking system works though cos having been developed with the help of an alpine climber (Matt Helliker) you think it would be useable ?
chembhoysh 27 May 2008
In reply to Stash: re the racking system, Im interested to hear thoughts and ideas on how its use was/is envisaged? Decribe the picture to me...

Matt - thanks, I'll try your suggestion of pulling in all the straps and compacting the sack to see how it fairs for me whilst climbing: I was impressed with the fit in the way that there is no restriction of movement for arms or head - like you point out.
Osprey Packs 28 May 2008
In reply to Caralynr:

Hi Caralynr,

Thanks for all your info, hope that Pembroke was dry for you!

I wanted to get back to you re: the problems of the gear racking system being too far back. You are totally right with what you say, this problem I picked up myself in early testing and the racking loops have now been moved 10mm further round to the front of the hipbelt for the production packs (you guys still have sample packs!)

I have to disagree with what you say about the back system being "bendy". We tested many different frame sheets (i.e thickness and size, with frame/without) and, in my opinion, what we came up with seems to work really well. In a climbing pack you don't want a really stiff frame sheet as this will add weight and also effect how it carrys. The frame sheet in the Mutant raps around your back, thus helping with the very stable, close carry when climbing, but is still stiff enough to keep out all those unwanted ice screws etc, digging into your back.

Its sounds as if you need to maybe pack more of your weight inside the pack, and just leave the lid for lighter weight pieces such as your gloves, hat and headtorch etc. to avoid the bending problem you have encountered.

Hope this helps to clear a few things up.

Matt Helliker
Sponsored Athlete
Osprey Packs
 Caralynh 28 May 2008

Thanks for the feedback Matt. Had one brilliant dry day at Pembroke, then ran away home!
Good to know it's not just me with the loops!
As for the back system - I think you're totally right about needing to pack heavy things inside the pack - I just need to change the way I pack things with the Mutant. I'm still not convinced about what will happen with a half empty pack and a heavy ab rope on top, but time will tell.
 Luke01 28 May 2008
In reply to Caralynr: Why don't you put the heavy ab rope inside the half empty pack?!
 Caralynh 28 May 2008
In reply to grit-addict:

Because it didn't fit! It was very thick and not very flexible (11mm static I think). Had it been my 9.5mm single I use as an ab rope sometimes, I would have
> I have to disagree with what you say about the back system being "bendy". We tested many different frame sheets (i.e thickness and size, with frame/without) and, in my opinion, what we came up with seems to work really well. In a climbing pack you don't want a really stiff frame sheet as this will add weight and also effect how it carrys. The frame sheet in the Mutant raps around your back, thus helping with the very stable, close carry when climbing, but is still stiff enough to keep out all those unwanted ice screws etc, digging into your back.
>

Surley in a climbing pack (or indeed any rucksack) you don't need a frame at all? It just adds to the weight, bulk, cost and complexity of the bag. It also makes the bag more ridgid, which in my exspirence restricts movement whilst climbing. A layer of removable foam (which can be replaced with a cut down karimat when necessary) is very comfy in my exspirence. Especailly if one has given some time/thought to packing the bag.

Just out of interest, did both of you have Mutants (or similar sized bags) on the Moose's tooth? Or did the second have a bigger rucksack?
Osprey Packs 30 May 2008
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

Hi Tom,

The Mutant does not have a frame. Instead there is a thin frame sheet and a bivi pad; either / both can be removed, depending on what suits your situation! Check out the Mutant video and you will see what I mean.

I used a Mutant on Moose's Tooth, but Jon did not due to the fact that he is sponsored by another company, but the pack he used was the same litreage.

Hope this helps.

Matt
Osprey Sponsored Athlete
 Caralynh 02 Jun 2008

OK, took the pack to Snowdonia this weekend.

Pack contents:
Spare things bag
Medical kit
60m half rope
Harness
half a rack
rock shoes
water bottle
guidebook
helmet
fleece

Lid contents:
rain cover
headtorch
sandwiches

The problem I found last weekend with the pack deforming was solved by better packing. It does seem that the pack is a lot more stable when packed solidly (as little dead space as possible) and with heavy stuff near the bottom. Although this is logical, it's not always going to be the most convenient way to pack, but the problem is solved for now.
Time will tell (when I use the sack just as a walking daysack) if the problem recurs when the pack is only half full.

I also think that part of the initial problem that I experience is that the back length of the test sack is too long for me. So when the shoulders straps are on me, and I put the hip belt round MY hips, of course it tries to deform since it's trying to compress a long sack into a shorter back length. Not a design flaw at all, maybe. Just wrong sizing (which I know will be rectified )

I played with the gear loops a bit more this time and moving them forward 10mm as suggested will enable me to reach a grand total of 2 per side! Better, but not ideal. Any reason they can't go even further forward? If the hip belt puts harness loops out of action, it would be useful to have the gear holders more accessible!

Finally a note on stability - We didn't have a long walk in, (just up to Dinas Mot), but the pack did feel very stable and secure while boulder/scree hopping up and down from the crag. Looking forward to testing it on longer walks soon.
 Dan Goodwin 02 Jun 2008

Well I have had some days on the hill and at the crag with the ‘mutant’, and so far so good well very good infact. It has packed up well with kit and sits well on the back, you can notice the care that’s been put into the construction and design of the back and straps. It’s very comfy to wear and does not seem to sweat up to much. With the wider neck it allows for easy packing and grabbing things quickly at the crag and allows you to just shove everything in, in a hurry when heading for last orders.
Things that need a bit more testing as I am unsure of is the racking system as I tend to clip the waist belt round the back they are not a huge amount of use to me, the are a bit fiddly, I wouldn’t use them in summer conditions but I might think about them more in winter for racking screws on, we shall see.
I have found that the top pockets are good and just the right size and that the material is tough and holding out so far and defiantly think that it will take a good pounding for a few years to come!
I am also undecided about the need for a mat in the back piece, if I was going to bivy I would probably take a longer mat, I could see that it would be good for an ultra light bivvy on a tricky Alpine North Face but would the general masses appreciate it or would it be in the way for most folks. I guess the good thing is that you can just take it out and leave it behind.
So it’s doing well and so far I would highly recommend it to anyone thinking of replacing his or her sack. Clients of mine so far have all commented on what a good-looking rucksack it is and have all looked very impressed at the design.

Dan Goodwin
Osprey Packs 02 Jun 2008
In reply to Caralynr:

Hello Caralynr,

Thank you for your recent post, glad to hear that the issue with the stability of the pack has been resolved with different packing.

The decision to move the hypalon racking loops 10mm forward and not 15-20mm was taken based again on feedback from Matt and the team here that it could result in racked screws/gear coming in contact with legs/knees whilst climbing.

Glad you’re finding time to get out and about with the pack, please keep us (as you are doing) updated on your progress.

Cheers again

Tom

Osprey Packs 02 Jun 2008
In reply to Dan Goodwin:

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the positive feedback about the ease of packing. One of the biggest design features to get right was indeed the overall shape of the Mutant so as to aid ease of packing and reduce dead spots within. It’s great to hear you found the shape of the pack helps with packing/throwing things in, especially when running late for last orders.

With regards to the internal Bivi Mat, we wanted this pack to appeal to a general audience, so we decided (again from testing and Matt’s feedback) that a small/minimum sized bivi pad would offer the end user a few options. As you mentioned you can remove if needed, but personally I don’t feel any difference in weight once removed (it also supports the pack a little). I have a ¾ length mattress and I use the bivi pad for my feet sometimes, as it’s already there in the pack for using and it saves a little weight. As everyone’s different, people will find their optimum use for it whether it’s a sit mat for lunch on top of Tryfan or as you said a minimum for a winter alpine assault.

Thanks for the recommendation and good to hear peoples positive response whilst on the hill.

Keep in touch Dan,

Thanks

Tom
Osprey Packs

Osprey Packs 02 Jun 2008
Hello to Everyone,

Many thanks to all those who have posted / contributed to this Mutant 38 Evalutaion thread so far. I think you will all agree that we have so far had some very interesting points raised and subsequent discussion surrounding the new Mutant 38! This is exactly what we are looking to achieve with this evaluation, so please keep up the good work and keep the posts coming.

Thanks to the chosen evaluators for their feedback to date, all very interesting! For all those of you who have been posting who are not evaluators, thanks for all of your in-put also. We really value everyone's thoughts, questions and opinions on this evaluation, so evaluator or not, please feel free to join the debate!

Keep up the good work! Looking forward to more feedback from the hills during the coming weeks....!

Cheers,

Martin
Osprey Packs
tim blakemore 02 Jun 2008
In reply to Osprey Packs: I’ve had the sac for a little under two weeks now, mainly cragging, but have a couple of comments.
I’m 6’ and for me the fit is like a glove, very ‘tight’. One thing I have noticed though is because of the shape (wider at the top, narrower at the bottom) you do have to pack it well or it feels top heavy (if things are left floating on top rather than packed tight). This shape is definitely a plus point in my eyes though and makes stuffing bulky stuff in easy.
The gear attachment points are too far back (as has been noted) but not drastically so. I can get to the first loop (and that is all I’d need for screws?) so don’t really see the need for more. I personally wouldn’t use them anyway as the hip belt would get stowed when climbing.
I would like the lid zip to be larger, though the lid itself is fine.
My girlfriend says the colour is nice………
 Luke01 03 Jun 2008
chembhoysh 10 Jun 2008
In reply to Osprey Packs: I'm finally back to my comfy sofa after an amazing ten days out. Climbing for a weekend in Loch Avon, then my ML training course with the Lodge followed by Savage Slit in Lochain.

Used my Mutant every day apart from the two day expedition on my training.

I had tried climbing with the sack before and felt that with the waist straps clipped back that it wobbled loads from side to side: climbed clean sweep with the straps clipped normally and above my harness and the fit was snug and comfy, nearly forgot I was wearing it in fact. The back is small enough that it could sit on top of my harness and I was still able to look upward (this is always an issue with my Osprey Ceres 50).

Not at all sure how useful the gear loops are, maybe I'll use them in winter - but I can't picture it really...

Again, I prefer having proper sidepockets or none at all. At the size they are, what have people actually used them for???

Really pleased to be able to pull out the back of the bag and pack it up really small into partners rucksack when we did the needle and second carried the one bag... also the small bivi mat was very welcome when we stopped for a break (although its pretty hard to replace if the bag is packed quite full!)

Someone was saying about the back being a little bendy: I found this over the week, I do like using my top pocket, and even it its only light stuff, if its full the support does crumple: this left me with pretty sweaty lower back... when the pack is fully packed or not packed at all the whole back shape does look like it should be good for maintaining air flow, but in practise, I've found it doesnt always happen like that.

The top pocket zip size is good, coz its a little smaller it stops stuff falling out as easily! Used the side compression straps - almost as effective as the system on the Ceres 50...

Over and out
Osprey Packs 11 Jun 2008
In reply to chembhoysh:

Hey Chem

The Needle has to be one of the best mountain E1's in the UK, nice one!

The "gear tubes" on the hip belt are really for winter usage. They work really well for racking screws, as you can remove them one handed with this system. The reason we did the "tube" thing is because it keeps screws, draws etc in one place. The problem with having a gear "loop" on the hip belt is that the rack bunches and falls forward into your lap, espcially if you are on easy angled slopes. With the tubes you can set the gear forward if on steep ground or set it back to stop it hitting you in the legs. If you never rack on the hip belt, then having tubes means less stuff flapping about, which is what a loop would be doing! Hope that makes some sense!

The Channels on the side of the pack are not there as pockets, they are for holding an axe spike or a walking pole in position if carrying these tools through side compression, very useful if pack is half empty, to stop them sliding out.

I have never found the pack to be "bendy", only soft, which is just what you want in a climbing pack to aid movement.

Have fun, im going climbing now before it rains

Matt Helliker
Osprey Sponsored Athlete

Luke01 13 Jun 2008
In reply to Osprey Packs: Went up to Skye on a less than perfect forecast this week. Packed the Mutant for two days on the ridge, food and fuel for a night and an emergency night, walked up to the bivvi in the coire before the ridge, bivvied and then came down because of high winds on the ridge.

I love the shape of the pack, it feels quite small and compact, even when you have quite a lot in it. I obviously didn't get to test the pack on the ridge, but on the slabby scramble on the approach to the bivvi it felt non-restrictive and moved well with my body.

Skye is an awesome place, hope to get back up there soon!

There's a couple of photos in my gallery of the Mutant in the Cuillin.

Cheers,
Luke
 Caralynh 25 Jun 2008
In reply to grit-addict:

OK all, sorry for the non-posting, I've been hectic with new job etc. However, managed to get out to a rainy Lakes on Saturday, so here's an update.
The plan was to climb on Pillar, but due to rain stopping play, it ended up being a matter of taking the ropes for a walk. It was the first time I've walked any significant distance with the Mutant, and I was pretty impressed. It's very stable for load carrying, and somehow manages to make a fairly heavy load feel reasonably light. I seem to have got the packing issues sorted now since it remained solid throughout the day (even with a water bottle in the top). It was fine over rough scrambly ground, so no problems there.
One of my initial questions was answered though - I had wondered how waterproof the sack was. Initially I thought it was fairly good, since I saw water beading on it, but later, reaching inside the top lid, everything was sodden. Not a problem since it's not marketed as waterproof, and there was no reason it should have been, I was just interested! I'll carry on using a cover with it in future, as I do with my older sacks.

CHeers
Cara
tim blakemore 26 Jun 2008
In reply to Osprey Packs: I’ve had the Mutant 38 on test now for perhaps 30 days or so. During that time I’ve used it as a cragging sac in the UK and for guiding in the Alps.

Durability wise I think its going to be fine. I have seen tougher fabrics but at a cost of weight. I think Osprey have got the balance right (though I have picked up a hole in it today on the Gouter Route thanks to a French Guide using me as a foothold). Other than a few cosmetic scuffs it’s still looking good and the reinforced base is holding out well.

Many of the features seem to be working well. In particular the floating lid system is excellent and stows away quickly and neatly. I personally wouldn’t have bothered with the ‘powder skirt’ (mine stays permanently rolled out of the way) and I don’t see the need for adding a hole for drink systems. I like the two main grab handles and again would probably have done away with two small ones.

The main difference for me is this is a dedicated climbing sac and is designed around that brief. If you pack it right it fits like a glove and is very stable. Not having a frame will feel weird for some who are not used to that feel but most alpinists would religiously strip it out anyway as a matter of course.

The acid test for me I guess is would I buy one? At the suggested retail price definitely. I am lucky enough to get a number of trade deals on kit and have definitely paid more than that for similar sacs at cost.
 vincentvega 27 Jun 2008
In reply to Osprey Packs: im in the market for a new pack and wouldnt mind having a closer look at the mutant. any update on a date i can find them in the gear shops?? cheers
Osprey Packs 30 Jun 2008
In reply to vincentvega:

Hi vincentvega,

The Mutant 38 is due in stores from late July 2008 and will retail at £70.

Thanks to all for the recent postings, looking forward to seeing more...!

Martin

Osprey Packs
 Luke01 09 Jul 2008
In reply to Osprey Packs: I've been using the mutant for about six weeks now. Over this time I've used it mainly for cragging, and also a bit of scrambling and walking.

For cragging it's great because it's so easy to use. It's got a wide opening so it's easy to pack, and the buckles are retained high up on the front of the pack which is good when your opening and closing the pack alot. I really like being able to stow the hip belt away so neatly too.

For scrambling and walking it's very comfortable and stable, even when I don't have the hip belt on. It's a good size for a few days on the hill, but compresses down well too to work as a day sack. The bivi pad has been used a couple of times and it's adequate for a semi planned night out.

Basically it's a great all round sack, there's nothing on it that doesn't work or doesn't have a use. I would definitely buy one!

Cheers,
Luke
 dan cowley 11 Jul 2008

Hi again,

Just another post to let everyone know how i'm getting on with the pack.

Basically after using it mainly for cragging, hillwalking and some mountain routes, I have found the pack to be stable, comfortable and easy to use. The only issue I have is when the pack is only half full it is difficult for the back panel to stay flat and fit my back. This may be due to the back length of the pack or my error in adjustment! The softness of the back panel will however be a real plus in winter but it can be a bit annoying so far in practice!

The compression straps work really well, both the side and the rope one under the lid. This pack does have many really well thought out features to it and there are reasons behind why everything is the way it is, which all becomes apparent through use.

The wide opening is really useful when trying to stuff things in when you've over run a bit and trying to get away from the crag or the in-coming night!

Basically, if your looking for a dedicated climbing pack, this is it. Don't forget that at £70 its actually pretty cheap in the scale of things and you are getting features that are missing off more expensive and not as good packs.

I would probably have bought one of these when they were released if Osprey hadn't been so kind to me!
 beardy mike 12 Jul 2008
In reply to Osprey Packs: On a bit of a tangent I thought I'd give you totally unrelated feedback on the Exposure 36. Different pack but...

I bought this as an alpine and scottish pack in January. Previously I had viewed osprey packs as being vastly overspecced and heavy because of it so I was pleasently surprised by the exposure and noticed that the features matched what I wanted. So I took the plunge and have to say I don't regret it at all. The back system is the comfy-est I've used to date. There are however a few foibles which if you could convey back to the pack design team might help.

1) the hightech releasable cinch buckle on the top compression strap... why? Its a total pain as all you really need is a normal bogstandard and dare I say it cheaper buckle.
2) the lack of external bungee attachement points was a small issue but easily solved...
3) why cross the axes? Could the axe head holder loops be slightly modified to allow a more vertical (and conventinal) arrangement of the axes and use a simple bungee arrangement... it packs more cleanly like this... I've modified mine so its easily feasible...

Other than that a top notch pack and will definately be thinking of Osprey again...
 mattbell 12 Jul 2008
In reply to Osprey Packs: Hi really thinking about getting one of these, i wondered though if it's too big for hand luggage, the current regulation size is 56cm x 45cm x 25cm. Would it squash down? Cheers
 Dan Goodwin 12 Jul 2008

Well now I have spent quite a lot of time out on the hills and crags with the new sack this has been scrambling, cragging and general walking. I have to say that I was a bit sceptical of this sack when it arrived things looked good but I prefer a simple sack that has no faff to it and at first glance I was worried that it may turn into the type of sack that I would avoid. I can safely say that it’s turned out to be just the ticket.

Material wise and design wise its been very well thought out. The material its tough and has not shown any signs of damage its been thrown around on Skye gabro and wriggled around on Cairngorm granite its got a few scuffs but the material has not worn out or broken. Its also stayed waterproof this is something that I have struggled to find in a rucksack but its not leaked yet and I have been out on a few grim days. The one thing that it has not done though is keep the midges away so perhaps Osprey could work on that!!

One thing that I have found very good is the ease of packing the wide top as you can easily pack it, when its starting to rain and you want to make a quick escape from the crag you can quickly shove the rope in and go there is no trying to squeeze things in!

Its also very comfy to wear the material that Osprey have made the padding from is very good its also seems to take some of the sweat away from the back. The straps and waist belts are very comfy and also very simple and effective to adjust.

As for the features some I like and some I don’t. I think that the waist belt loops on the back are good, I always when climbing with a sack will clip the waist belt around the back of the sack as I prefer just to be able to see the harness without things in the way. The racking system will suit some people but not me, on that note though they take up no space or weight so if you want them they are there if not clip it round the back!
The bivvy pad is something that I would not use as if I where to bivvy then I would have something more e.g. a full mat. But I think this is where Osprey have done very well they have added a few extras that I personally would not go for but in testing the sack they are extras that you can take or leave without making the sack heavier, if you want the gimmicks then they are there and well thought out but if you don’t then you can remove the mat and clip the waist belt behind and the sack is clean and simple or you can use the extras!!

For the price this is a very good sack and one that I would recommend highly it seems to cater for lots of styles of climbing and mountaineering. Get One

Dan
Osprey Packs 14 Jul 2008
In reply to mattbell:
Hi Matt,

This is a question we get all the time for our range of travel luggage and packs. The short answer would be that, due to varying levels of forgiveness from different airlines/airports, we can’t really give a definitive answer. Some carry-on I’ve seen recently should have definitely been in the cargo bay!

I am sure you can appreciate that this is a very subjective matter, but I have travelled with a Mutant as my hand luggage with spare clothes, fleece, laptop and files/folders and it has been fine. Obviously if you’re packed for a two day mission in the Alps then they may raise an eyebrow or two!

I hope this helps, even though it doesn’t actually give you a yes/no answer. The Mutant 38 can roll up if you take the framesheet and bivi pad out and maybe pack them into your check-in luggage?

Thanks

Tom

Osprey Packs
 Caralynh 15 Jul 2008

OK, I understand a final evaluation is needed.
The pack has been used for cragging, hillwalking and general messing about for the summer. In summary:

Comfort
Stability
Compression system
Back system
Large opening

Dislikes:
Need for careful packing to maintain stability
Gear loops too far back
Back length a bit long for me (Martin, can I have a medium please??)

Other:
It's not at all waterproof - you need a rain cover
Fabric is light and tough and I haven't managed to rip or scuff it yet, despite deliberately not being that careful with it.

In general, I'd say £70 is VERY good value for money for a sack that can be used for summer wild camps, and year round walking and climbing. Nice one
 chris_s 16 Jul 2008
Can any of the testers comment on how much headroom there is when wearing a helmet? Does the sack sit low enough that you can tip your head back fully?
 Luke01 17 Jul 2008
In reply to Osprey Packs: It's coming to the end of the evaluation period and my conclusion is that I would definitely buy a mutant rucksack. It does everything I need it to do very well - it's comfy, it's stable, it's easy to use, the size is good for a day cragging or for a few days out, the features are all sensible and functional.

If I was buying a new 'sack, this would be it.

Luke
 saz_m 19 Jul 2008
In reply to Osprey Packs: Checking back in now that I'm settled in Wales - I've been working for 4 weeks now at an outdoor centre in the outdoors for 6 days of the week doing all sorts... and I'm still impressed with the bag.

Would I buy one for seventy pounds? Possibly not: It is clearly a very lightweight bag, it is very very comfortable and sits well. It is certainly the best bag I've had. But personally - shaving 100 grams off any gear isn't something I hold too much importance to... If I wasn't still effectively still a student and I could afford nice things then YES I would consider buying a Mutant.

It is an extremely well fitted bag, the ease of packing has been mentioned numerous times above, there is a very effective compression system down each side (though I will be shortening some of the straps) little or no fuss with bits and pieces (I'll probably remove some of the gear loops on the waist belt)... I do wish there were side pockets, but thats personal preference.

Many thanks to Osprey and I'm sure anyone that gets the Mutant will thoroughly enjoy it... tennis racket is an extension of your arm, the mutant is an extension of your back - think kangaroo belly pocket thing, but on your back!

Chris
 saz_m 19 Jul 2008
Not saz_m above - Chembhoysh signed in under gf account: Oops!
tim blakemore 26 Jul 2008
In reply to chris_s:

Hi Chris

The Sac sits low so you can tilt your head fully back with a helmet on (I'm 6' and have a size 'L').

Tim
 chris_s 27 Jul 2008
In reply to tim blakemore:

Cheers, Tim.
lesalpes 05 Aug 2008

Are their possibilities/features to mount skis on the pack. I'm currently looking for an allround climbing/skiing pack
Osprey Packs 06 Aug 2008
In reply to lesalpes:

Hello,

Thank you for your enquiry regarding ski carry possibilities on the Mutant 38. The pack doesn’t have specific ski loops (generally found underneath the bottom compression) it has ‘z’ compression which is quick-releasable for attaching sleeping mats and tidies up nicely into the bottom wand pockets. This is more of a conventional/proven method of compressing the pack when you remove gear i.e rope etc. Matt Helliker (our sponsored climber) had attached skis to the Mutant during trips to Scotland and Alaska using the compression.

Another option would be the Variant 37, which is our winter orientated/ski mountaineering pack. This pack does indeed have ski loops for carrying skis over extended periods of time. If it’s 10-15 minutes of ski carry whilst touring/skinning into routes then I think the Mutant 38 would still be OK, but if it’s for actual ski mountaineering use were carrying ski’s may last for 30-45 minutes you may find the Variant is better.

Variant 37 Stockists Include –

Ellis Brigham
Tiso’s
Braemar Mountain Sports
Cairngorm Mountain Sports
Paul Braithwaite’s, (Mountain Feet) Oldham

Thanks again for your interest,
Tom
Osprey Packs
ozzie 16 Aug 2008
In reply to Osprey Packs: hi so i am getting my sister to buy me an osprey mutant this week when she is in scotland, my question is what are the measurements for the back length ( i already own and love an osprey Exposure 50l with medium harness) i am 6'4 thanks in advance

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...