UKC

scrambling on madeira

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mattf77 22 Apr 2008
my non climbing girlfriend has booked us a holiday on madeira. she enjoys walking and some scrambling. has anyone been out there and can recommend anything? we are staying on the west coast
 Reach>Talent 22 Apr 2008
In reply to calvomatteo:
I would avoid the rock on madeira, it is not very solid. If it is steep it will fall down. If you want some lovely walks then just head up the hills following a levada but expect the weather to change very quickly. While you are there make sure you try some black scabbard fish, they taste amazing but are spectacularly ugly.
&y_Gee 23 Apr 2008
In reply to calvomatteo:
I went there about fifteen years ago just for a walking holiday. I used a Sunflower walking guide:

http://www.sunflowerbooks.co.uk/madeira.htm

The rock is very chossy, not particularly good for climbing and scrambling, but some of the high mountain paths in the Sunflower guide are very spectacular. The guide is updated regularly, so make sure you get the latest edition if you decide to buy one.

Have fun.

Andy.
 Neil Henson 23 Apr 2008
In reply to calvomatteo: I was there last November. There is rock everywhere, unfortunately it all looks horrendous. Think there may be some better rock up near the the highest point on the island (forget the name), but cannot be too sure as I didn't really view it from close up. Some very nice Levada walks though.
 ChrisJD 23 Apr 2008
In reply to calvomatteo:

The scenery is just fantastic and unlike anything else in mainland Europe.

The levada and high mountain walks are just great (and a bit scrambling in places - some really big drops on some). Mountains often covered in clouds mind. Forget climbing, its 99% choss!

The driving is also pretty mad on the non-motorway roads - never had to thrash a hire car so much in first gear before!

Search on amazon for guides - but mainly aimed at crinklies.

Recommend trips to the north coast - more isolated and less touristy.
 ChrisJD 23 Apr 2008

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...