UKC

Tajikistan - Karl Marx, Engels etc.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Death Star Constructor 22 Apr 2008
We're planning a trip to the south eastern part of Tajikistan in July/August.

Is anyone else heading out there this summer? I was hoping on exchanging information etc.

At the moment I'm trying to figure out the safest yet cheapest way to get to Dushanbe.
 Tim Sparrow 28 Apr 2008
In reply to Death Star Constructor: I assume you have already read expedition report of the Alpine Club trip there in 2006? (Or the account in the current journal).
If you want further info, by all means mail me.
Tim
Lerxt 29 Apr 2008
In reply to Death Star Constructor:
There is a new treking guide out any day published by Odyssey called Tajikistan and the High Pamirs and a lonely planet guide out now that could be some use. As for getting to Dushanbe I thought via Istanbul was the easiest way to get there.

I'd be really interested to hear about your trip as I am going out there in 09.

L.
Lerxt 29 Apr 2008
Oh yes and I presume you have the Kopylov book on the mountains of central asia?
 G. Tiger, Esq. 29 Apr 2008

turkish air via istanbul, or something els via moscow (aeroflot?)

just to shit you up before you go, read "Storm adn sorrow in the high pamirs" (robert w craig) a pretty harrowign accoutn of loads of expeditions goign wrong because of earthquakes.....
 huntyclimbs 29 Apr 2008
I was part of an Alpine Club Expedition in 2006. We made a number of first British ascents from the Southern side including Karl Marx Peak and Nikoladsye. It was sponsored by First Acsent and the Mount Everest Foundation, so a copy our report can be obtained from the MEF and The Alpine Club Journal 2007, or ask for Steve Hunt at the Alpine Club.
We flew from Munich, via Istanbul to Deshanbe, using Tajikistan Airways. We also had help from Rick Allen at The Great Game travel company.
Pik Engels looked quite difficult, but possible from the South.
Watch out for the Red tape,
Good Luck
Death Star Constructor 29 Apr 2008
In reply to Tim Sparrow: Thanks for your reply. Thanks. I'm aware of the UK-expedition and will get hold of a copy of the report.

I've also emailed one of the Frenchmen who were there last year but haven't received an answer yet.
In reply to Lerxt: Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check out the new guide book.
In reply to G. Tiger, Esq.: Thanks. Turns out there's a page on Wikipedia about the airport in Dushanbe with an overview of the various airlines. I guess Turkish Airlines being a Star Alliance member is the best bet.

I might give the book a miss, and let's hope we won't have to write volume 2...
In reply to huntyclimbs: Thanks. I was hoping to get in contact with one of the members of that expedition. I'll send you an email when things are more definite.

Would you suggest Tajikistan Airlines? Or is Turkish a better bet?
ice.solo 30 Apr 2008
tajik air is one of the worst airlines on earth. go turkish. there are also options from tashkent with uzbek air (a good airline).

i was in tajikistan ealy last year. this climbing like it was 30 years ago - totally remote and self sustained. no chopper back to kathmandu here.
getting to dushanbe will be the easy part.

try and earn some russian
 Tim Sparrow 30 Apr 2008
In reply to Death Star Constructor: Nothing wrong with Tajik airlines. Most of the lockers were shut when we landed and most people had seat belts on too. I believe no one was injured either, so it can't have been too bad! They have (or did in 2006) a plane that was allowed to fly in Europe too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...