UKC

Bet Blair is laughing his socks off

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 23 Apr 2008
Was Blair the best leader that Labour ever had?

And is Brown resenting taking the job he always wanted?

Got a feeling Labour is going into melt-down which they won't recover from for probably a decade.
 Wibble Wibble 23 Apr 2008
In reply to The Lemming:

Blair might have been the most successful, but not the best.

Labour seem to be an object lesson that power corrupts.
OP The Lemming 23 Apr 2008
In reply to Wibble Wibble:
> (In reply to The Lemming)
>
> Blair might have been the most successful, but not the best.

He kept the lid on the squabbling that Labour are good at. Admittedly the Tories are streets ahead at stabbing leaders in the back though.
>
>
>
> Labour seem to be an object lesson that power corrupts.

Haven't noticed any Labour MP's doing porridge or real sleaze compared to 18 years of Tory rule, can you?

Wibble Wibble 23 Apr 2008
In reply to The Lemming:

I meant morally rather than criminally corrupt!
>
> I meant morally rather than criminally corrupt!

Ah, so you'd prefare to sweep criminal convictions under the carpet in the favour of moral corruption?

Care to point out some of these moral corruptions before somebody mentions the actual convictions or sleaze that the opposition excelled in?
 John Wood 23 Apr 2008
In reply to The Lemming:

I'd say Attlee. Blair's right up there though (and would have been very fondly remembered if not for the Iraq debacle)
mikey 23 Apr 2008
In reply to The Lemming: When you give up your basic principles in the pursuit of power you get the non desript politicians we have today - it's power first, principles second. Blair was elected but that was his his fundamental aim/principle - As a lifelong labour supporter he turned me off politics and away from labour.
Pan Ron 23 Apr 2008
In reply to The Lemming:

Perhaps Broon has decided, what with the globe being a bit screwed up at the moment, being the head man isn't such a good idea right now.

Blair was certainly the best man when he came in, but his very short shelf life was masked by the convenient political situation on Earth at the time.
 thomasadixon 23 Apr 2008
In reply to The Lemming:

Blair is/was very likeable as well as being a good leader, Brown's just not very charismatic.
In reply to John Wood:

To call it simply 'the Iraq debacle' is not good enough. It suggests that they got entangled with something they didn't fully understand. Tony Blair's hands are dripping with blood (totally unnecessarily).
nonymouse 24 Apr 2008
In reply to The Lemming: > (In reply to Wibble Wibble)
> [...]
>
> real sleaze compared to 18 years of Tory rule, can you?

Mandelson, Vaz, Robinson, Irvine, Byers, Jo Moore, Millburn, Hughes, Paul Corrigan, Blunkett.......

Blair
 simonty1 24 Apr 2008
In reply to The Lemming:
Thats cause labour keep giving them bungs what about George Galloway helping Saddam Labour are masters of spin
 GrahamD 24 Apr 2008
In reply to The Lemming:

He's a very good leader. But then so were Thatcher, Stalin and Hitler.
Anglesey Pete 24 Apr 2008
In reply to The Lemming:

> Haven't noticed any Labour MP's doing porridge or real sleaze compared to 18 years of Tory rule, can you?

Plenty of them involved in illegal practices over donations for their 'campaigns', under legislation that they passed themselves!
Anonymous 24 Apr 2008
In reply to The Lemming:

A fair assessment was that, having exhausted or squandered rather more than Labour's fair share of goodwill and fair time in government, Blair left his accomplice to carry the can
johnSD 24 Apr 2008
In reply to Anonymous:
>
> A fair assessment was that, having exhausted or squandered rather more than Labour's fair share of goodwill and fair time in government, Blair left his accomplice to carry the can

I like the "Blair was Mr. Teflon, Brown is Mr. Velcro" way of looking at it.
cragtaff 24 Apr 2008
In reply to The Lemming: I can't wait to see the hammering Labour are going to get in the local elections. Thatcher was brilliant, but overstayed her welcome, this Labour government have overstayed their welcome now and I think the majority of the electorate just want rid of them.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...