UKC

best footwear in the wet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sutty 18 Nov 2002
Looking at some whitewater canoeing on tv the other day I got to wondering what footwear is best for greasy rock nowadays. The canoeists seemed to have a light, cleated sole boot/shoe on for hauling over wet rocks, what do the wet weather afficionados use now?
 ben b 19 Nov 2002
In reply to sutty: Socks, I'd asssume.
 Al Evans 19 Nov 2002
In reply to ben b: I think its still socks Sutty, but I have some Tika canoeing shoes that are only one step from wet suit boots but with a 'sticky in the wet' sole that I've done VS in.
OP sutty 19 Nov 2002
In reply to Al Evans:
It was the canoeing type shoes that attracted my attention, something that worked on greasy rock all day rather than for the odd pitch. I WANT MY TRIKES BACK
 Gus 19 Nov 2002
In reply to sutty:
Check out Five Ten's range of water shoes, with sticky rubber on them!
 JasonG 19 Nov 2002
In reply to Gus and Sutty: Good idea Gus ...

Sutty ... maybe something like these would be what you're looking for?

http://www.fiveten.com/products/index.php?action=item&id=25
It's a canyoning shoe.

Or perhaps this other one (apparently used for adventure racing)
http://www.fiveten.com/products/index.php?action=item&id=26

No personal experience of either ... but do like the look of the canyoning shoe
Nigel Mackwood 24 Nov 2002
The canyoning shoes look OK but I doubt if they are the best thing. They're certainly not the first ever shoe designed for canyoning. I go canyoning frequently in the South of France and I've tried a few "canyon shoes" over the last couple of years which look very similar to the Five Tens and, therefore, suffer from the same problem - the sole isn't supportive enough for the extremely awkward terrain. This summer I used a pair of Merrel Exotech which were ideal because they have a proper Vibram sole which is plenty grippy enough. You don't need sticky rubber and it would help anyway on mud,lichen etc. Also, you don't need extra ankle protection if you are wearing a wetsuit.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...