UKC

Comp Pics into Calendar?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
John 13 Jul 2001
I posted this idea under the competition thread but noone seemed to be interested in the competition! ... unless they just weren't interested in my idea

Anyway, having looked at lots of the pictures entered in the photo competition, I thought there are plenty of high quality pics that would be great in a climbing calendar ... how about a UKClimbing calendar with profits going to charity? Thoughts?
OP Lancashire Lass 14 Jul 2001
In reply to John: I think that it would be a good idea to do a UKClimbing calendar and giving the profits to charity would be good publicity. I would buy one.
 Chris Fryer 15 Jul 2001
In reply to Lancashire Lass: Sound idea. Bit of a change the Hard Grit ones, which have been done to death and have got worse each year.
John 16 Jul 2001
In reply to Chris Fryer: JCT must have some ideas on this one .... come on Jude, what do you think?
 Ropeboy 16 Jul 2001
In reply to John:

I like the idea of calender made by climbers for climbers featuring the normal climbing public and the profits going to the MRT throughout the country.
John 16 Jul 2001
In reply to Ropeboy: Charles / AJ ... any thoughts from you guys? ... Is this type of thing at all commercially viable?
jude calvert-toulmin 31 Jul 2001
In reply to John: re:"JCT must have some ideas on this one .... come on Jude, what do you think?"

only just noticed this John sorry, if i dont reply to people talking to me on other threads it's cause i only get time to check out the two most stupid threads at a time.

i think this is a great idea John. i suggest you contact the photographers for their permission and contact a calendar publishing company and contact the climbing shops that would be stocking it and get going! remember with calendars though, if they dont sell, youre left with a lot of over-stock that will never be sold. unless you make it a perpetual calendar of some sort.

funny, someone who shall remain nameless asked me to BE in a calendar the other week. hur hur (i said yes, if i could take the piccies myself - get emailing me back u-no-who otherwise i'll get bored and lose interest! plus the weather will be too cold!)
OP john cox 31 Jul 2001
In reply to John:

Personally I doubt the commercial viability of this - there are lots of good climbing calendars and in my opinion the quality of the entries wasn't up to it.

For a really good climbing picture check out Tom Briggs' shot of Dave Ferguson on Curving Arete - it's on here somewhere, I think, but certainly on Jon Read's site. Great light and colours, captures the moment, shows the climber's position and the architecture of the route - brilliant. Would surely have won if entered.

The last on that list is where most of the entries fell down in my view. A great climbing photo has to be about the rock, the route and the crag as well as the climber. The winner was particularly short of this - made Troutdale Pinnacle look like the top of Stanage.
 Jon Read 31 Jul 2001
In reply to john cox:
Curving Arete shot.

Personally, I was going to enter this picture but couldn't get it down to under 100kb without it looking shite.
OP Anonymous 31 Jul 2001
In reply to John: Marks Slab?
 Chris Fryer 31 Jul 2001
In reply to Jon Read: Il ike the B & W Shot - do you do your own printing?
 Jon Read 01 Aug 2001
In reply to Chris Fryer:
Erm .. nope! Sorry. I was a pretty poor colour photo I scanned in and drained out the colour, and then it looked great. Hey, I'd like to get a proper picture of that anyway, so I'll find it out again and scan it in at higher res. Then you could print it off yourself if you wish. Ok?
 Chris Fryer 01 Aug 2001
In reply to Jon Read: Thanks Jon, but I was just looking for a kindred soul, who has spent many an hour in the dark fiddlimg with chemicals. I was also going to say that upping the contrast might improve it a bit, but that would be getting too geeky.
 Vdiff Dave 01 Aug 2001
In reply to Jon Read:

It might even better if you masked off the climber before removing the colour, so he would look very colourful and vivid against a B&W background.
 Jon Read 01 Aug 2001
In reply to Chris Fryer:
Ooh eck. I'll have a go.
 Jon Read 01 Aug 2001
In reply to Vdiff Dave:
You haven't seen that tartan lycra in colour.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...