UKC

Mortgage life insurance?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BenTiffin 02 May 2008
I'm moving house soon and trying to sort out a quote that will cover me for my mortgage life insurance.

HSBC will cover climbing/mountaineering but will only cover three diseases - AIDS, cancer and something else.

Legal & General will cover the diseases but not the climbing/mountaineering. When I moved house last time - they weanted to charge me £95 per month for climbing/mountaineering.

Who do people use that cover climbing + an acceptable amount of illness.

Thanks in advance

Ben
ceri 02 May 2008
In reply to BenTiffin: we have the BMC based one from fortis, cant remember exactly what it covers, illness wise though.
What eactly is this disease cover? Surely if you die of anything e.g. heart attack/cancer/road accident they will cover you? Is the illness cover a "pay out when ill not dead" thing? if so- how many other illnesses are likely to seriously incapacitate you?
johnSD 02 May 2008
In reply to BenTiffin:

Norwich union cover climbing in the UK without adding anything on to the premium. I'm not sure what diseases they do or don't cover, but they didn't mention not covering any - so I expect that if I die or am diagnosed with a terminal illness then they will pay out (not that I expect to die)

We are paying less that £8 a month I think for joint cover on £110k
OP BenTiffin 02 May 2008
In reply to ceri: Cheers guys - as well as life insurance, I was always wanting critical illness cover. HSBC used to cover virtually all incapacitating illnesses but now cover 3 - HIV/AIDS, cancer and I think the third was one of the muscle wasting ones - can't remember which.

Ben
 D.Musgrave 02 May 2008
In reply to ceri:
> (In reply to BenTiffin) we have the BMC based one from fortis, cant remember exactly what it covers, illness wise though.
> What eactly is this disease cover? Surely if you die of anything e.g. heart attack/cancer/road accident they will cover you? Is the illness cover a "pay out when ill not dead" thing? if so- how many other illnesses are likely to seriously incapacitate you?
I have a deal whereby if I die, they pay out to my wife. There is little small print, as long as I hadn't commited suicide they pay. However they don't pay a lot.

andy 02 May 2008
In reply to BenTiffin: Do you have any dependents? If not, I wouldn't worry about the details - if you die they'll sell the house and get their money back...
 Trangia 02 May 2008
In reply to andy:
> (In reply to BenTiffin) Do you have any dependents? If not, I wouldn't worry about the details - if you die they'll sell the house and get their money back...
>

I'd second that. Life insurance is over-rated if you are single and don't plan to have children or both partners in a relationship have a good income with the survivor being able to meet the repayments or sell if the worst happens.

Richard ff 02 May 2008
In reply to BenTiffin:
> I'm moving house soon and trying to sort out a quote that will cover me for my mortgage life insurance.
>
> HSBC will cover climbing/mountaineering but will only cover three diseases - AIDS, cancer and something else.
>
> Legal & General will cover the diseases but not the climbing/mountaineering. When I moved house last time - they weanted to charge me £95 per month for climbing/mountaineering.
>
> Who do people use that cover climbing + an acceptable amount of illness.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Ben

Hate to disapoint but Legal and General won't cover AIDS/HIV *(Except if transfered in a sexual assualt) well that was as of around 9 months ago at least, but will charge more for climbing if you climb over S4b....Not much help over all sorry. Other than try 'summit' as previuosly advertised in the BMC for Life Insurance which wont hurt for climbing.
OP BenTiffin 03 May 2008
In reply to Richard ff: Yes, I have dependents - wife + 2 kids. Legal & General have clearly stated that "no critical illness claim shall be admitted in respect of the disablement resulting from mountaineering, rock climbing, fell walking, skiing, caving or pot-holing"

There won't be a problem with HIV/AIDS unless I am raped or get a contaminated blood transfusion.

I'll try those listed.

Ben

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...