UKC

Any midges on N.west coast of Scotland yet?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Pylon King 07 May 2008
Any of the F@ckerz out yet?
 blueshound 07 May 2008
In reply to The Pylon King:

A resounding yes, just back from lochailort and they were bad at dusk the last 3 nights. Ticks are everywhere too.
 1234None 07 May 2008

I'll be watching this thread with interest as I'm heading up to NW Scotland on Monday...
 peterd 07 May 2008

they were about on Seana Braigh on Monday
In reply to 1234None:
> (In reply to The Pylon King)
>
> I'll be watching this thread with interest as I'm heading up to NW Scotland on Monday...

Whereabouts?

Fiend and i are in Torridon Fri - Thurs
In reply to blueshound:

Bugger
In reply to blueshound:
>
> A resounding yes, just back from lochailort and they were bad at dusk the last 3 nights. Ticks are everywhere too.

Bugger
 Colin Moody 07 May 2008
They might be a problem at night but I would think they will be OK by day.

Forecast (that I saw) is looking good.
Iain Forrest 07 May 2008
There were a few biting at the campsite at Strontian on Sunday evening, but they weren't swarming.
 dek 07 May 2008
In reply to Iain Forrest: Temps of 24 forecast in NW tmorra! Not surprised the biting buggers are out!
Iain Forrest 07 May 2008
In reply to dek:
It's like Summer, isn't it? No more frosts to kill them off now, I suspect.
 jonnie3430 07 May 2008

How do they survive winter?
 dek 07 May 2008
In reply to Iain Forrest: Rain for Sat/Sun then back to glorious weather next week, Looks like the early annual west coast high pressure spell is settling in for a bit? mind you i'm looking at metcheck.com
Anonymous 07 May 2008
Anonymous 07 May 2008
In reply to Anonymous: oops- that was last year
Iain Forrest 07 May 2008
In reply to dek:
Fingers crossed!
Iain Forrest 07 May 2008
In reply to jonnie3430:
They don't, but their eggs do.
Anonymous 07 May 2008
In reply to Iain Forrest: the midge forecast site says 'they have left our shores for warmer climes'
Iain Forrest 07 May 2008
In reply to Anonymous:
It's a beautiful thing to watch the bi-annual midgie migration, their graceful V shaped flocks gliding across the sky.
 dek 07 May 2008
In reply to Iain Forrest: Strontian and the Onich area can be bad, i must dig out that Midge net!
Yrmenlaf 07 May 2008

I have half a dozen bites from last week

Y.
 anansie 07 May 2008

My mum phoned earlier from the west coast of Scotland. Her first words were 'The flamin' midgies are eating me alive!'. Safe to say they're out in force :oP
Yrmenlaf 07 May 2008
In reply to anansie:

I think my aiming for the gap between the midgie and the winter (which I judged to be last week) worked well.

Y.
 anansie 07 May 2008
In reply to Yrmenlaf:

Indeed! I Think you got off lightly My mum said there was an inch of her leg that she could see didn't have a bite but..'give the wee buggers time!' was her reply to this ! Not a happy bunny me thinks
In reply to The Pylon King: Been out lots in torridon, applecross, poolewe and a little at reiff, all in the last week. Got bitten once, by one midge at Diabaig. Weather has been very warm and still. Midges don't seem to be out here yet, but probably soon will be.
Ticks, however, are now coming out in force and I've numerous itchy bites from ankle to waist.
In reply to The Pylon King: I think I climbed with fiend in Wilton once, years ago. Give me a shout if you're near Applecross on monday.
Charlie.

A few of the little Barstewards appeared at my allotment at Leyland last night just as the sun was setting. I buggrd off sharpish!
 Chris F 08 May 2008
In reply to blueshound: Rat cocks. Heading for Torridon for the w/e too. Will probably see you PK, have a habit of intentionally bumping into Fiend.
In reply to jonnie3430:
>
> How do they survive winter?

No. They always first appear each year around May 5.

Incidentally, I think each midge only lives for one day.
 el diablo 08 May 2008
In reply to Gordon Stainforth: When unable to fly in very wet or windy conditions at temps below 7 degrees Culicoides may only live for a few days. In more favourable conditions they may live for two weeks. In late summer, following a blood meal large numbers of eggs are laid on the soil surface and the larvae live within a few centimetres of the surface feeding on decaying animal and plant matter. Without the blood meal they lay much smaller numbers of eggs. Flying adults start to hatch the following May (give or take), or when triggered by lengthening daylength and warmer temperatures.
jd
In reply to el diablo:

Ah, thanks for putting me right. It strikes me that if some way of killing a lot of the eggs was found the midge problem might be eased. I know/well, think there is a whole department at Edinburgh University tackling the problem!
 aln 08 May 2008
In reply to The Pylon King: We were at the S end of Loch Etive last weekend. No midge bites.
 220bpm 08 May 2008

No bother in Kintail Mon/Tues.....slept with the tent fully open. It's about that time tho for the first introduction to the midge season. In a fortnight they'll be a nightmare..........
 Jonny Tee 69 08 May 2008

Camped out in Glen Shiel at the weekend, and then did teh Forcan Ridge - not a midge in sight. Pure great!
 k2ted 08 May 2008
In reply to Jonny Tee 69: agree they are lots of bother. But pretty essential for the food chain and all beasties up would suffer if we removed them.

You can always drive the car fast and splatt a few. A9 is ideal
In reply to The Pylon King: Midges don't seem to be out in Glen Nevis yet and its usually a hotspot.
 1234None 17 May 2008
Sorry - just saw your response. We were at:

Monday - Etive
Tuesday - Diabaig
Wednesday - Stoer
Thursday - Reiff
Friday - Ardmair

I saw your logbook update earlier and notice you did the Pillar at Diabaig. What a route huh!? I did it on Tuesday and loved every minute.

Hope the rest of your trip was as good...

And the midges weren't too bad at all!
In reply to 1234None:

> I saw your logbook update earlier and notice you did the Pillar at Diabaig. What a route huh!? I did it on Tuesday and loved every minute.
>
> Hope the rest of your trip was as good...

Yes was well nice. we stayed in Torridon all week,doing stuff in Torridon and round Gairloch way.

Even developed a new "craglet":

http://www.ukclimbing.com/databases/crags/craginfo.html?id=8841

Midges not much of a problem as it was pretty windy at the campsite!

A few at the crags in the evening though

cant wait to get back up there

1234None 17 May 2008

Nice one - sounds like you had a good trip.
 Wee Davie 18 May 2008

That wee crag looks good. Nice and clean. What grades did the lines go at?
Got fairly badly eaten in when the wind dropped two days ago in Glen Etive. It can only get worse from here!

Davie
Geoffrey Michaels 18 May 2008

Looks like a good discovery but does it not have a name on the map already or could you not have chosen a name more in keeping with the other names nearby?

Too late to rename?
 Chris F 19 May 2008
In reply to Wee Davie: We were in Etive yesterday. Fortunately hot sunny and breezy, but as it got cooler and wind droppoed in late afternoon you could see them swarming at ground level.
Slugain Howff 19 May 2008
In reply to Chris F:

You too! Standing room only doon the Glen for a tent pitch on Saturday night. The Great Unwashed were out in numbers.

3/10 on the midgie richter scale on Saturday night.
In reply to Donald M:
>
> Looks like a good discovery but does it not have a name on the map already or could you not have chosen a name more in keeping with the other names nearby?
>
> Too late to rename?

Not too late to rename but:

theres no names on the map and all the other crags in the area are called things like "path crag" and hairpin crag" so i thought "fence crag" was in keeping with the others!
 Chris F 19 May 2008
In reply to Slugain Howff: We were surprised how many campers there were. We were good little freaks and stayed in Glencoe Campsite (was about 9:30 and too tired to drive any further). Glencoe Campsite - 5/10.
 Colin Moody 19 May 2008

I thought the name was fine.

Path Crag and Hairpin crag also didn't have names (why would the locals bother to name bits of rock? Hairpin crag was Creag nan Cuileann for a while (a name I made up) but Hairpin seemed a better name so it was changed. Creag nan Leumnach was also made up.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...