UKC

NEWS: Sonnie Trotter attempts E11 whilst MacLeod is on the Ben

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 12 May 2008
Dave MacLeod is digging away snow from his Echo Wall project on Ben Nevis whilst the Canadian climber, Sonnie Trotter, is back for a second round on MacLeod's Rhapsody E11 at Dumbarton Rock.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=05&year=2008#n44174
 Morgan Woods 12 May 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

respect to ST for coming back for another go...hope the weather gods play their part.
 GrahamD 12 May 2008

Out of all the places in the world to come and chose to re-visit !
 Hay 12 May 2008
It would appear that Dave has gone mad though.
Not content with a punishing regime of fingerboards and crazy soloing, he has now started shovelling the snow off the Ben.

http://www.davemacleod.blogspot.com/

Chris F 12 May 2008
In reply to Hay: good for fitness, but not very climbing specific. I shovelled snow on an almost daily basis for a whole winter. Was fit at the end if it, but couldn't climb a thing.
OP Michael Ryan 12 May 2008
In reply to Hay:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
> It would appear that Dave has gone mad though.
> Not content with a punishing regime of fingerboards and crazy soloing, he has now started shovelling the snow off the Ben.

Hmmm I wonder what the first line of the report says, with a link to Dave's blog,

"Dave MacLeod is digging away snow from his Echo Wall project on Ben Nevis "

Removed User 12 May 2008
In reply to GrahamD:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
>
> Out of all the places in the world to come and chose to re-visit !

Hopefully he will be lucky with the weather and be successful this time. I think this is quite a compliment, and a deserved one, for Scottish climbing.

Stuart

GrahamD 12 May 2008
In reply to Removed User:

Fair play to the lad. I'm not sure how typical of Scottish Climbing Dumbarton is - its certainly not my idea of a place of pilgrimage.

I'm going to be horribly parochial here and say I hope the weather is fine and he doesn't succeed ! Let the route build up an even bigger reputation.
 Justin T 12 May 2008
In reply to GrahamD:

When's Mr Steve Mac getting on it, that's what I want to know?
 220bpm 12 May 2008

Fair play to ST for coming back to Dumby for another crack at this beast.

Respect, and the very best of luck!
 spum 12 May 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: I've been watching a fit John Dunne and one james Pearson training together over the last few weeks.
Apparently they are going up to Dumbarton this week to try Rhapsody.
should be fun and games there this week.
 stevieo10 12 May 2008
In reply to spum: its going to be too polished to climb soon!
 GrahamD 12 May 2008
In reply to spum:

There will probably be an in situ top roper on it.
In reply to GrahamD: Well, I've not got much on this week so I think I might go down for a spot of bouldering and take a ring-side seat!
 stevieo10 12 May 2008
In reply to Alasdair Fulton: Let us know whos the first to do it (well second it anyway)
 Hay 12 May 2008
Sorry Mick,
I did not read that at all.

B
In reply to stevieo10: Do you want me to take down a camera and wireless laptop so I can give you up-to-the-second news feeds? Cory Richards was contemplating repeating Requiem too.....
 stevieo10 12 May 2008
In reply to Alasdair Fulton: If its not too much trouble Alasdair... Blimey queues on an E11!
In reply to stevieo10: I forgot the wink at the end I'll report back on anything interesting.
 Chris F 12 May 2008
In reply to Alasdair Fulton: Keep a camera at the ready at all times. The pics could be worth a few bob!
 Bill Davidson 12 May 2008
In reply to Alasdair Fulton:

The clash in personalities might be very interesting!
OP Michael Ryan 12 May 2008

Update from Trotter ... including his thoughts on our tabloid press.....

http://www.sonnietrotter.com/roadlife.php
 TobyA 13 May 2008

It's really great that they are so excited to be there on Rhapsody and Requiem. Dumby is a funny place, but there is no getting away from how impressive that headwall is. If you boulder there regularly you might stop noticing but the first time you go - wow, particularly with the evening sun on it. It's kind of funny to hear a well traveled North American call the routes "world class", but really great too. I even took my first big whipper on that face - or at least on the HVS that marks its left edge.

Strong skin, strong wires, soft landings, dry weather and best of luck to Sonnie and Cory.

Erik B 20 May 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: was watching sonnie doing this on the lead about 20 mins ago, I'll let you speculate what happened. Quite surreal sitting in my car listening to music while watching someone on this insane route, now thats what I call armchair climbing
OP Michael Ryan 20 May 2008
In reply to Erik B:

Spill it Erik... please.
 TobyA 20 May 2008
In reply to Erik B: So he's done it? If so - f*cking brilliant.

"Oh Canada!..." etc.
 Erik B 20 May 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: do UKC pay for field journalist reports?
 UKB Shark 20 May 2008
In reply to Erik B:

Tell Mick Ryan nowt
 Fraser 20 May 2008
In reply to Erik B:

Didn't realise you were there Erik - it was fun up close too!
 Oli 20 May 2008
In reply to Simon Lee: Karma eh?
In reply to Simon Lee:
> (In reply to Erik B)
>
> Tell Mick Ryan nowt

Good route by all acounts, FA Chris Sowden.

I am thoroughly enjoying this.

Erik B 20 May 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: surely you must be willing to pay for up to the minute reports Mick? I hope your site isnt taking advantage of the kind and unselfish climbing community for the sake of profit?

Erik B 20 May 2008
In reply to Fraser: Im everywhere mate, hoping to get that big scoop for uncle Mick
 Caralynh 20 May 2008
In reply to Erik B:

Ooh a bidding war between you and Fraser
Until it drags on so long that it's reported elsewhere first!
 Will Hunt 20 May 2008
In reply to Erik B:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=301725
Spill it or Nick B's gonna get you.
 Erik B 20 May 2008
In reply to Simon Lee: i see from your profile pic that you could do with getting some wages from mick
 Erik B 20 May 2008
In reply to Will Hunt: what you on about man?
 Will Hunt 20 May 2008
In reply to Erik B:
Nick chastising the money chasers ergo you.

Im sure you're joking when you asked for money as the story will be told be others for nothing anyway.

This "I know something you dont know" bollocks is bullshit. Grow up and tell the tale.
 Fraser 20 May 2008
In reply to Erik B:
> (In reply to Fraser) Im everywhere mate, hoping to get that big scoop for uncle Mick.

Good luck - I just didn't think I should tell the story when the guy leading the route has a good blog and is capable of doing it much better himself.

Plus, I owe you still for all that Peillon beta. ;P

Cheers and night-night!

In reply to Erik B:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com) surely you must be willing to pay for up to the minute reports Mick? I hope your site isnt taking advantage of the kind and unselfish climbing community for the sake of profit?

profit? there isn't any

Alex Roddie 20 May 2008
In reply to Erik B:
I hope you're having a joke when you say you want to get paid for it.
 Fraser 20 May 2008
In reply to Will Hunt:
> (In reply to Erik B)

> This "I know something you dont know" bollocks is bullshit. Grow up and tell the tale.

Calm down kiddo. It's all good, as they say.
 Erik B 20 May 2008
In reply to Will Hunt: hmm, nick seems to survive a living from cimbing does he not?
 Erik B 20 May 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: £ a word you say?

adecentwhipperwastaken

£1 please uncle Mick

Erik B 20 May 2008
In reply to Will Hunt:
> (In reply to Erik B)
> Nick chastising the money chasers ergo you.
>
> Im sure you're joking when you asked for money as the story will be told be others for nothing anyway.
>
> This "I know something you dont know" bollocks is bullshit. Grow up and tell the tale.

are you sure youve spelt your surname correctly?

Alex Roddie 20 May 2008
In reply to Erik B:
Right. So you're saying he took a fall but did not finish?
 Erik B 20 May 2008
In reply to Alex Roddie: Im a corporate hoor, of course I want paid
 Erik B 20 May 2008
In reply to Alex Roddie: nae idea, but he would have needed a good spec head torch if he did
 grumsta 20 May 2008

What's with all this 'ooh I'm not telling'? Why bother posting at all then?
 Erik B 20 May 2008
In reply to grumpsta: lighten up man, im just taking the pish
 Alex Roddie 20 May 2008
In reply to Erik B:
So you don't actually know what happened, then?!
 BOOGA 20 May 2008
In reply to Erik B:
> (In reply to grumpsta) lighten up man, im just taking the pish

Well pish off then! Thought there was some actual news there...thats a real let down. tw*ts.
 grumsta 20 May 2008
In reply to Erik B:

Dunno it just seems very childish when people want to know what happened, and you apparently know, but find it amusing not to tell. Personally I am not that arsed.
 Erik B 20 May 2008
In reply to BOOGA: I am taking the pish about wanting money, not about watching a lead attempt on rhapsody which I did watch

feckin hell this place is infested with humourless climbing geeks
 Alex Roddie 20 May 2008
In reply to Erik B:
> (In reply to BOOGA) I am taking the pish about wanting money, not about watching a lead attempt on rhapsody which I did watch
>
> feckin hell this place is infested with humourless climbing geeks

Err no, you led people to believe you had possibly witnessed the second ascent of Rhapsody. I'd say that's a pretty big deal, actually, if it turns out you haven't got a clue what happened and don't have any news to report at all.
 Erik B 20 May 2008
In reply to Alex Roddie: can you not read son?
 Alex Roddie 20 May 2008
In reply to Erik B:
Yewhatnow?
 Mikkel 20 May 2008
In reply to Erik B:

Think you have just invented some new form for Trolling here Erik.
 BOOGA 20 May 2008

> feckin hell this place is infested with humourless climbing geeks

Oh come on man, it's important news to alot of climbers. Personally, I'm hanging out to see if Dave McLeod manages E12, E13 or whatever his next project is when finished. Would've been happy for Trotter if he pulled off E11. Cant imagine how fit and dedicated I'd have to be to do something like that..but it shines a light towards what is possible...

Alex Roddie 20 May 2008
In reply to Erik B:
Just read through your posts again and I think it's perfectly clear, you led people to believe he might have made the ascent, then (jokingly?) asked for money for the news, before admitting he took a whipper but that you didn't even see if he finished the route or not. Bad form I say.
 Erik B 20 May 2008
In reply to Mokkel: what? upsetting young southern english types?

Sonnie is doing well, good cool conditions tonight but maybe left the lead a bit late in the evening? as the light was getting pretty bad, not sure if this affected him but hes started collecting his Vale Of Leven Airways airmiles anyway

good luck sonnie
 Erik B 20 May 2008
In reply to Alex Roddie:
> (In reply to Erik B)
> Just read through your posts again and I think it's perfectly clear, you led people to believe he might have made the ascent, then (jokingly?) asked for money for the news, before admitting he took a whipper but that you didn't even see if he finished the route or not. Bad form I say.

Im speachless
wcdave 20 May 2008
In reply to Alex Roddie: Yeah Erik, bad form....highly entertaining though mate!!
 Alex Roddie 20 May 2008
In reply to Erik B:
Good for you, take some cough medicine.
 Mikkel 20 May 2008
In reply to Erik B:
You ruined it now.

Those bight ligts they have pointing up at the Castle walls, couldnt they be turned on the route if it should get late?
(actualy never seen if they actualy work, just that they are there)
 pottsworth 20 May 2008
I'd be inclined to agree with eric about the number of people demonstrating a sense of humour failure!
 Erik B 20 May 2008
In reply to Mokkel: are you no thinking of the anti burglar floodlights in the new scheme next door?
 Mikkel 20 May 2008
In reply to Erik B:

Right by Eagle Boulder that big box, i recall that beeing a big light?
 JLS 20 May 2008
In reply to Alex Roddie:

I've posted a picture on my gallery tonight which may be of intrest and should appear shortly. It's of very poor quality as the light was fading fast when I took it.
 Luke90 20 May 2008
 JLS 20 May 2008
In reply to Erik B:

Going on Erik, tell them.
 Erik B 20 May 2008
In reply to JLS: i allready have mate
 JLS 20 May 2008
In reply to Erik B:

Looks like you've been taking lessons from Norrie in how to tell a story.
 Luke90 21 May 2008
In reply to JLS:
It's up on the news page.
 Erik B 21 May 2008
In reply to JLS: this internet mularkey is far too easy for the geeks though isnt it mate? what they should do is what I did and not get off my fat arse and drive to watch from my car the canadian hotshot do battle with the volcanic rugosities of the mighty dun breton

thomasadixon 21 May 2008
In reply to pottsworth:

Agree, total overreaction!
 Niall 21 May 2008
In reply to JLS:
> (In reply to Erik B)
>
> Going on Erik, tell them.

It was me, I'm Sonny's stunt double.
 grumsta 21 May 2008

'Well there seems to be a bit of buzz about our arrival in Scotland. Our friend Paul introduced us to a website, which I have seen before but forgot about until recently, it's called ukclimbing.com...

In Canada we have a few blogs and websites for the community, but unfortunately, more often than not the threads quickly turn to rubbish. Because it's funny and easier to rip on something than it is to praise, many people are just witty and cleaver with words and want to be heard or get a rise from the readers, that's cool sometimes, but I find here in the UK, the community is a lot more cheerful, enthusiastic and friendly about climbing, it's a shame North America couldn't be more united. Truly.'

Is he talking about the same website? ;P

Graham T 21 May 2008
In reply to grumsta:
Sounds like somewhere else to me, especially considering some of the stuff on this thread

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...