UKC

what is the worst month for midges.................

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AdCo82 13 May 2008
............ in scotland?

Is it August September time or are they bad in June?

ADJC
 elephant0907 13 May 2008
In reply to ADJC:

In Scotland?.......All the time!
OP AdCo82 13 May 2008
In reply to elephant0907:

well not really because I have never suffered with Scottish midges in winter conditions.

I am talking summer here. I know the breeze and being away from still water helps but in general, is June a bad month?

ADJC
 Al Evans 13 May 2008
In reply to ADJC: Yes.
In reply to ADJC:

Very bad from early May to early September. Can therefore be insufferable at any time from mid-May to September ... on any fine day when the wind drops.
monkeynuts 13 May 2008
In reply to ADJC: they start building up around now and will go through to sept + u can avoid the areas where their in high concentration, have some smoky fires try sweating out booze and garlic... keeps them at bay
OP AdCo82 13 May 2008
In reply to monkeynuts:

CHEERS

Will just have to suffer a little. Can't stay away all summer just because of the crazy midges.

thanks everyone
 CurlyStevo 13 May 2008
In reply to ADJC:
In order normally the worst months are:
July
August
June
September
May

Outside these months it is unusual you'd find any/many midgies and if you did they wouldn't normally be that annoying.

Generally midgies are not really annoying until at least mid may, they continue being bad until either a very long dry spell or the first set of frosty mornings.

During the very hot dry summer 2 years ago many people were reporting virtually no problem with midgies even on Skye!
 Jim Fraser 13 May 2008
In reply to ADJC:

Sometimes they might appear in May and often there will be a significant number around in the end of June but July and August are definitely the peak times.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...