UKC

Carnmore crag

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Can anyone tell me how far in it is possible to bike to Carnmore? Apparently the path has been improved. Don't mind pushing a bit.

Also other than Dragon and Gob and the big VS which seem to get all the stars, any other must do routes to E2?

Any recommendations on best route on lower tier?

Thanks
Graeme
Geoffrey Michaels 22 May 2008
In reply to graeme gatherer:

I think there are some arrangements in place to not use bikes so that the path doesn't get trashed. You can bike to near the end of the forrest.
 LakesWinter 22 May 2008
In reply to Donald M: that's right
 220bpm 22 May 2008
In reply to graeme gatherer: I've only done "the big VS" on that crag but I have heard that Carmore Corner is an excellent E2 (upper tier).
 SonyaD 22 May 2008
In reply to graeme gatherer: Yup, you can chain your bikes pretty much at the end of the forest. Still a fair wee walk, but it's all flat and easy enough and the bikes will be welcome on the way back.
 tony 22 May 2008
In reply to Donald M:
> (In reply to graeme gatherer)
>
> I think there are some arrangements in place to not use bikes so that the path doesn't get trashed. You can bike to near the end of the forrest.

so a wee bit past Kernsary?
 Gary Latter 22 May 2008

Have taken mountain bikes in about 1.5km or so beyond the forest, until path starts downhill. Have to carry them across gate/stile at end of forest, but worth taking them bit further than the forest.

The new path was built (with public money!) in 1997, and is regularly used by estate ponies during the stalking season. As a bike causes a lot less damage than a pony, then see no reason why can't take bike as far as practical?

Gary
 David Lanceley 22 May 2008
On the lower tier I remember Balaton as being pretty good at HVS / E1. Big VS is I think Fionn Buttress, not sure it really deserves ***
In reply to GL: Thanks a lot everyone. Hoping to blast in and out same day and get a few things done. Cheers.
 Jamie B 22 May 2008
In reply to David Lanceley:

> Big VS is I think Fionn Buttress, not sure it really deserves ***

cough, splutter, choke... Each to their own I suppose but I thought it was tremendous, one of the best routes I've ever done. Sure, not every pitch is VS and some passages are a bit scrappy and dirty, but for overall sense of scale and committment, and a couple of highly memorable cruxy bits I'd reccommmend it to anyone.

Jamie B 22 May 2008

> Hoping to blast in and out same day and get a few things done. Cheers.

I reckon a night at the barn is an integral part of the experience. There's loads more in the environs than you can get done in a day; Wisdom Buttress on Ben Lair looks good and Maiden Buttress is also worth a visit; possibly the most idyllic spot I've climbed on in Scotland.

When we climbed at Carnmore, we (there were 6 of us) paddled across Loch Maree in 2 open canoes, hid them on the far side of loch and walked in from there. It was rainy so me and my mate were the only ones that climbed, we did Dragon.
 Colin Moody 22 May 2008
In reply to Jamie B.:

After doing some of the other routes at Carnmor we thought it was poor.

Might have been different if we had done Fionn Buttress first?
In reply to Jamie B.:
> (In reply to graeme gatherer)
>
> [...]
>
> I reckon a night at the barn is an integral part of the experience.

I know, but we want to climb somewhere different the next day. Also means travelling much lighter and faster.

Have had a better look at the guide now and Balaton sounds like the route to do on the lower tier.
 Colin Moody 22 May 2008

I thought Penny Lane, Trampoline, Balaton and Hyena Corner were good. Dragon and Gob were brilliant.

I haven't done Abomination but it looks great.
 m dunn 22 May 2008
In reply to David Lanceley: Fionn Buttress certainly deserves its 3 stars; and then some.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...