UKC

Jetboil: At what altitude?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bengough22 23 May 2008
Has anyone used a jetboil at the 4000m mark? Does the performance deminish with ignition, boil timings etc? Any opinions on the max altitude this stove can be used at?

Cheers
 Damo 23 May 2008
In reply to bengough22:

I've used one up to 6400m at C2 on G1. Though there are exceptions, usually the Piezo lighter won't work above 4000m (sometimes lower). Performance definitely diminishes as you go up, especially over 4000m. Even worse if you don't use the regular cup/pot but the larger one - they're rubbish.

Canister stoves are nice and simple at altitude but performance really suffers - on all models - so they're crap for melting lots of snow. I also used a little Kovea titanium stove with a aluminum pot at 6300m in Tibet a few years back, in very cold temps, around -20C, and that was worse than the Jeboil on G1. In each case boiling a litre would have been both impractical, unwise and impossible so I have no time I can quote.

D
OP bengough22 23 May 2008
In reply to Damo:
Thanks for the info
Removed User 23 May 2008
In reply to bengough22:
I've used one about 4000m in European Alps, about -5ish temps.
Seems to work fine. (obviously not as well as SL, but fine for melting water.)
Paul F 23 May 2008
In reply to bengough22:

Andy K, who might know a thing or two,has a few tips on his site.

http://www.psychovertical.com/?altitudestoves
OP bengough22 23 May 2008
In reply to Paul F:
Thanks Paul
stupot 23 May 2008
In reply to bengough22: I should think that the biggest performance factor for a canister stove at altitude is the temperature of the canister itself. Analysis and graph for various temperatures (at sea level) at http://www.scunnered.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Low%20Temp%20Gas%20Stove.htm
The reduced atmospheric pressure should actually help in this respect, however there is a risk of increased carbon monoxide due to incomplete combustion and of course the boiling temperature of water is reduced.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...