UKC

Ape index

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James Oswald 30 May 2008
I just measured mine and i have a ape index of -1!!!!
How big is yours? It's your Hand span (inches) minus Height (inches).
 McGuinness 30 May 2008
In reply to james oswald: +4, I'm an ape!
 CarolineMc 30 May 2008
In reply to james oswald: -1.5. Gutted. C-:
 howlingbaboon 31 May 2008
In reply to james oswald: I'm +3.5
 Metro_Cowboy 31 May 2008
In reply to james oswald:

I'm guessing you mean arm span, in which case mine is 6! (6ft tall with a 6' 6" span).
 @ndyM@rsh@ll 31 May 2008
In reply to james oswald: Using your criteria, -5'4'', using ARM span, +1.
 BelleVedere 31 May 2008
In reply to james oswald:

I look like some weird genetic mutation
 Al Evans 31 May 2008
In reply to CarolineMc:
> (In reply to james oswald) -1.5. Gutted. C-:

From Wikipedie
"Ape index is an informal measure of one's armspan relative to height. Among some rock climbers it is seen as desirable to have an arm span that exceeds one's height.[1] It is calculated either by subtraction (armspan − height) in which case the desired result is a positive ape index, or by division (armspan ÷ height) in which case one desires a ratio greater than 1.

Despite the assumed desirability of a larger value, several scientific studies failed to demonstrate a correlation between the ape index and rock climbing ability. [2][3]"

Al Evans 31 May 2008
In reply to es: A more accurate and comprehensive measure here
http://windowseat.ca/item.php?id=404
 Al Evans 31 May 2008
In reply to Al Evans: Using the described method mine is 0.896 so fitting it into the table
(0.85 - 0.9
You've crossed the gangly threshold and live in simian territory. You likely have little use for objects such as stepladders, high heels, or stools.) Which is complete rubbish!

Range Value
Below 0.6
Your stumpy arms make you more like a fish than a human.

0.6 - 0.7
Still on the stumpy side, but at least you can reach for the magazines on the top shelf.

0.7 - 0.8
Plain ol' human. There is nothing special or unique about you.

0.8 - 0.85
You are gangly, but not yet apeish.

0.85 - 0.9
You've crossed the gangly threshold and live in simian territory. You likely have little use for objects such as stepladders, high heels, or stools.

0.9 - 1.0
You are an ape.

Above 1.0
You can probably scratch your knees while standing up without bending over. You can probably punch someone sitting 5 feet away from you. You probably have to make your own clothes. And you probably need someone to shield you from the cruel world that stares dumbfounded as you walk down the street.

BelleVedere 31 May 2008
In reply to Al Evans:

It would be even worse then - My broad shoulders make up for my stumpy arms.

it really would be "smack my ass and call me Bubbles"
 Richard Sutton 31 May 2008
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to CarolineMc)
> [...]
>
> Despite the assumed desirability of a larger value, several scientific studies failed to demonstrate a correlation between the ape index and rock climbing ability. [2][3]"

A very breif study of my weak puntering would confirm that my +4 ape index is no advantage when it comes to climbing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...