UKC

medical help - strange pain in bicep - muscle/tendon problem?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Si dH 01 Jun 2008
Ive got a funny pain in my left arm. When I stretch up with my left arm above my head, and only when my arm is straight, I get a slight ripple of pain from my underarm up to half way up the middle of my bicep. There is actually a just-about discernible little ridge of stuff there, looking like a colourless vein about about 10cm long, that wasnt there before, and it feels kind of taut.
Weighting it doesnt make any difference, it seems ot be stratching it that does it. The pain is only minor and I have climbed through it today fine, but since I can actually see and feel that something is wrong it concerns me.
Will probably go to the doctor when Icn get an appointment -but anyone think they might know what it is??

Cheers
Si
OP Si dH 02 Jun 2008
In reply to Si dH:
bump
 TeaGirl 02 Jun 2008
In reply to Si dH:

Might be biceps tendinopathy - does contracting biceps against resistance hurt? Alternatively could be rotator cuff impingement as it only hurts at full abduction - better off seeing a physio than a doc anyway, or get your GP to refer you for ultrasound.
 TeaGirl 02 Jun 2008
In reply to TeaGirl:

Diagnostic ultrasound rather than treatment, btw.
OP Si dH 02 Jun 2008
In reply to TeaGirl:
Nope, weighting it makes no difference, and contracting it actually stops it hurting as it is no longer stretched - I can do pull ups and climb on it fine, except when it is fully stretched above my head.
OP Si dH 02 Jun 2008
In reply to Si dH:
PS cheers for the response
 TeaGirl 02 Jun 2008
In reply to Si dH:

Above your head the humeral head is pressed against the acromion which can cause impingement of the rotator cuff or of the subacromial bursa. Ultrasound-guided injection can be helpful along with exercises to prevent it recurring.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...