UKC

Nearest indoor climbing wall to Skipton

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jason livesey 02 Jun 2008
Im new to the area and looking for the best/nearest wall.
Any suggestions?
Thanks for any replies
 dirtbag1 02 Jun 2008
In reply to desperate: Leeds Wall or Malham, I'd have to recommend Malham though as the routes get changed there more often (every ice age).
dafsdafdsf 02 Jun 2008
In reply to desperate:

There is a wall search facility on here which will give straight distances. I tend to look west rather than east though. That means Ingleton (about 35-40 mins), Burnley (about 30-35 mins), West View in Preston (about 45 mins) and perhaps Rochdale/Blackburn, which are reachable although I've not visited them.

There will be folk on to recommend the Leeds walls, no doubt, in a minute. Skipton is pretty equidistant from most of the options.
taffmahoney 02 Jun 2008
In reply to desperate: I go to West View in Preston and find it very good value. £4.50 for a full day and lots of climbing to be had. The main lead wall is very challenging and there are bouldering walls and other top-rope/lead walls available. A really good mix of routes from 3+ right up to 7c+.

The best times to go are friday/saturday evening around 6.30pm. I went there last friday at 6.30pm and me an my brother had the entire place to ourselves until it closed at 10pm.
 grumsta 02 Jun 2008
In reply to desperate:

Kendal isn't that far away and is really good imo. Ingleton is pretty good. Preston is ok and cheap.
 gingerkate 02 Jun 2008
In reply to desperate:
Btw looking ahead, I think Skipton will be getting its own wall fairly soon, but not up to date on what stage that's at. Someone will reply knowing more.
anon7655 02 Jun 2008
In reply to gingerkate:
> (In reply to desperate)
> Btw looking ahead, I think Skipton will be getting its own wall fairly soon, but not up to date on what stage that's at. Someone will reply knowing more.

No sign of any progress on that one, although planning is dealt with, I think. The original opening date of Autumn/Winter 08 is looking a tad optimistic. If anyone knows different, I'd be interested to know.
mark 7 02 Jun 2008
emma l 02 Jul 2008
In reply to desperate: Hi, I too am new to the area and climbing! Would love to find someone to go with, reply if you are up for it!
In reply to anon7655:

Planning has been granted for Skipton but there is still a problem financing the whole leisure facility AFAIK (see skipton web forum). Definitely not opening this year!
 brieflyback 02 Jul 2008
In reply to S i'm on & on:

Couldn't find the bit on Skipton Web you're talking about, though I did stumble upon the longest press release ever about nothing at all.

http://www.skiptonweb.co.uk/press_releases/press_release.asp?pr=282

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...