UKC

climbing in Peru - is Malaria a real risk?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ianto 11 Jun 2008
Hey
I'm off to the Cordilleras in a few weeks time and wondered what people's experiences were of the Malaria risk out there.
I've had the Yellow Fever and other usual jabs and discussed the rsk of Malaria with the nurse (in light of the usual info available on the web) but we both concluded that since I'll ether be in Lima or above 2300m the risk is minimal and so Malaria tabs may be over the top.
Any thoughts people?
Cheers.
 KeithW 11 Jun 2008
In reply to ianto:

That's what I've concluded, following advice from several sources.
Removed User 11 Jun 2008
In reply to ianto:

Research we did indicated that there was no risk at that level and the at risk Peru areas were the jungle (funnily enough). We never bothered and never saw a mozzie. The fly that makes the puma weep on the other hand is a total nightmare. We had to get anti-histamines in Huaraz for the missis after one got her leg.
 mountainbagger 11 Jun 2008
In reply to ianto: Yep - agree with other posters. Was there a couple of years ago. No probs in Lima, Inca Trail, Cusco, Puno, Lake Titicaca. Just needed some protection for visiting the jungle, for which we took Malarone, but only enough to cover those specific days.

Never got bitten by a mozzie in jungle anyway due to covering skin and using repellent, but a millipede fell onto my head, which was nice.
 Nevis-the-cat 11 Jun 2008
In reply to ianto:

No malaria jab needed. You might if you head into the jungle. I neglected to do this prior to heading into the Bolivian jungle and becoming a big freckly feast for all and sundry.

OP ianto 11 Jun 2008
In reply to ianto:
thanks guys
almost sane 12 Jun 2008
In reply to ianto:
Lima is generally way too dry for mosquitos, and at this time of year its too cold.
I met a taxi driver in Lima who told me about his first visit to Cusco when he was 18. He noticed that water fell on the pavement, and then the bits of water joined up and formed little pools on the street. He was 18, and seeing puddles for the first time.
In Lima you get a coastal mist for months on end during our summer (if you know east coast Scotland, you will recognise it as haar). But he had never experienced rain until he went to Cusco.

In the mountains its too cold for the mossies.

What you plan is very benign from a disease viewpoint. Apart from tummy bugs, of course.
Removed User 12 Jun 2008
In reply to almost sane:

Times have changed!! It was pishin' doon when we were there in 2001. Spent a soggy day and evening mooching about Miraflores. It was the last day so I risked the ceviche(could see the sea so I went for it). Delish. Pished doon...
 David Hooper 12 Jun 2008
In reply to ianto:
Deffo no malaria stuff needed for the Andes.

If you are stuck in Lima for a few days get yourself to the arty little suburb of Barranco for some Al Fresco eating, drinking and general latino partying on the sea - lovely bohemian little area.
 gimmer 12 Jun 2008
In reply to ianto:
Zero risk! Lima and the coastal strip is a desert and the rest of the time you will be too high up for mosquitos. This is a good website for info:
http://www.fitfortravel.scot.nhs.uk/destinations/malariamaps/peru.htm
Even if you are going down to the jungle where there are mosquitoes, that doesn't mean there is malaria present, get the local knowledge rather than blindly taking anti-malarials like alot of travellers do.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...