UKC

One-man tents and trekking poles?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
4712topo 15 Jun 2008
OK - trying to regain some fitness after a lengthy absence I'm doing some lightweight backpacking over the higher stuff in the Lakes. I've been using an old Phoenix goretex bivvy bag which is adequate for keeping me warm and dry but not for much else. My old tent (a Sherpa Peak 2) is a little too heavy for backpacking so I am looking around for something else. Trying to keep weight down to a minimum.

I have recently tried trekking poles and have taken to them much to my surprise as I thought probably like many that they were not necessary and an added burden. I have noticed that some tents or tarps can be used with trek poles rather than dedicated tent poles so am looking at this option. I realise that a proper single tent is the best option but they all seem rather expensive.

I have looked at the Shangri-La 1 which at 490g and £90 is attractive - more so than tarps because it does provide more protection. If I combine this with my bivvy bag then I do have more options for a variety of weather conditions. The only disadvantage is that it will not be midge-proof like proper single or double-skin tents and also that using trekking poles might not provide the best protection in high winds but then I probably wouldn't pitch it then and use the bivvy bag instead.

http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/shop/shop.php?c=viewproduct&pid=...

Anyone have any experiences with tents/trek poles or with the Shangri-La?

Regards

Steve
 mikehike 15 Jun 2008
In reply to 4712topo: Im a great Fan of Henry Shires products.
Ive got the Double Rainbow
and the Contrail

Ive recently done the West Highland Way with my bro in law we used the double rainbow. My pack weight without food n water was 6.4kg very comfortable. My sleep bag was a very light summer comulus quantum. just in case of cold weather i took lightweight rab bivvy (not required, neither were waterproofs for that matter)
Photos here
http://whw.notlong.com/

My contrail here, which makes dual function of your walking pole.
http://picasaweb.google.com/mrgent/Contrail?authkey=4bfupqK5qho

My bro in law was so impressed hese ordered a contrail too.

Both off the above are completely midge proof

Feel free to ask more questions.

mh
4712topo 15 Jun 2008
In reply to mikehike:

Hi Mike

Is there a supplier in the UK - the Contrail seems exactly what I'm after if a little more expensive than the Shangri-La but the benefits of being fully-enclosed and midge-proof are attractive. I have always used double-skinned tents in the past and am loathe to try a straight-forward single-skin type. The Contrail seems to have good ventilation to overcome the condensation problems. Thanks.

Steve
 mikehike 15 Jun 2008
In reply to 4712topo:

No supplier in the uk that im aware of.
You Buy direct from Henry Shires online.
Drop him an email. Their service and after sales service is very good.
Ive made 3 purchases without problems.

Ive never used a conventional tent.
Depending on weather conditions you do get condensation, but you MANAGE it, it is not a problem. Always have a mini pack towel to hand.
I think im correct when i say double skin tents suffer condensation also. you just dont notice it. Which means when you pack the tent away it may not be dry and you end up carrying even more weight.
Note you will need to seam seal the contrail. Its very easy to do and do not let this little job put you off making a purchase.

Ive never yet been in a situation when ive thought i wish i had a conventional tent.
If the weather looks to be marginal then i use the rab bivvy over my summer bag this is a big insulator allowing you to maximize through tarp ventilation.

mh
almost sane 15 Jun 2008
In reply to 4712topo:
I have the GoLite Hex (now called the Shangri-La 3).

It is very stable and roomy in all sorts of wild Scottish conditions.

The official weight includes a pole, but I use two trekking poles with a joining piece I hacked together.

It has an insect-proof inner tent as well. I haven't used this in anger, but in theory you could do your coking inside a midge-proof zone.
 winhill 15 Jun 2008
In reply to 4712topo:

I fleabayed a new terra nova argon 900 for £100, you can use your trekking poles but the supplied poles only weigh 100g so never bothered. All up weight is less than the shangri-la.

Two man so much bigger, spent two weeks in it with my 6 year old son, no problem (although it was south of france in august so we didn't have to spend time in the tent).

Trekking poles can be surpisingly effective in bad weather cos you can plant them in the turf and get them very rigid.
4712topo 16 Jun 2008
In reply to mikehike:

My memory is returning. You're right of course about the condensation - I can remember the amount that I got when cycle-camping in France - but then the weight wasn't too important. I'll have to work out how much I can afford - the Contrail seems a good option at the moment. The bivvy bag has never given me condensation issues and is the lightest option as long as I don't have to do any cooking - which I think will come inevitably!

Steve
4712topo 16 Jun 2008
In reply to almost sane and winhill:

Thanks. Will look at these - so many tents so little time . Not sure if I can manage with just an outer (the Shangri-La 1 outer only weighs 480g) and put up with the midges or I should go for the full tent option. I suppose the trekking poles should be sturdy enough - they are mostly larger than most pole sizes for tents in this size. Seems a shame to waste them.

Steve

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...