UKC

MSR whisperlite and lighting

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
alanb 16 Jun 2008
not sure if this is the right place but....
i bought myself a MSR whisperlite and...lighting it isnt that gr8.....i would have little bonfire in the tent portch in bad weather ...not good
someone told me about priming past?
i have tried everywhere to get some...any idea anyone plzzzzzzzzzz

ty Joe Brown's shop ll ..
 54ms 16 Jun 2008
In reply to alanb:

I got mine in Outside when I got it, but it was a few years back. Have you used multi fuel stoves before. It took me a little while to get the priming right, you really don't need much fuel. I'm still nervous about using in my very small porch so in bad weather I tend to prime it outside, then bring it in when its running.
alanb 16 Jun 2008
In reply to Duncan_S:
ah...when i first lit i absolutely pooped my self....
been scared since..lol
thought the fuel bottle was gonna go bang aswell....
i suppose its a case of playing around at home in the garden alot
Dnwsmith 16 Jun 2008
In reply to alanb:

Literally all yo need is to wet the cloth and no more, if there is a puddle in the priming cup then there is too much!

best of luck and mind those eye brows.
 Sam Ash 16 Jun 2008
In reply to alanb:

Try it in your garden until you get the hang of it. Better still, get a Dragonfly - much better.
alanb 16 Jun 2008
In reply to Dnwsmith: ty..
 TobyA 16 Jun 2008
In reply to alanb: you could even use chips of normal firelighter if you wanted but best to just take the stove out the tent and use just a wee bit of fuel to wet the wick.

I've had my whisperlite international nearly 20 years so I know this is not the easiest thing to do! But once they're going they're crackin' stoves that will last you a lifetime.
 ng1273 16 Jun 2008
In reply to alanb:

i've used that water-free handcleaner gel stuff (alcohol-based) which is so common now to prime old paraffin stoves and my coleman, seems to work ok and you don't have to bother washing it off your hands after :->

i also found this clip on youtube when i was looking for tips on servicing my coleman...seems genuine enough - check out the guy's hair at the end!

youtube.com/watch?v=NLMw-vqjbKc&
 Nigel Modern 16 Jun 2008
In reply to alanb: Let through less petrol during lighting but I must say I wouldn't light one in a porch, unless it's a big tent. Once lit it is fine.

btw I don't agree with using tiny amounts of meths...I think it needs to be good and hot when you let the petrol through. Practice...I guess we all find our favourite way.

Priming paste is easier but expensive...or used to be.
 Nigel Modern 16 Jun 2008
In reply to ng1273: i've used that water-free handcleaner gel stuff (alcohol-based) which is so common now to prime old paraffin stoves and my coleman, seems to work ok and you don't have to bother washing it off your hands after :->

Classic tip, thanks
 naine 16 Jun 2008
In reply to alanb:
you can also use methylated spirit to prime - is warm enough even in winter, no explosive flame and cheap.
i found the whisperlite a pain to get the timing right... am much much happier with my primus multifuel!
 Nigel Modern 16 Jun 2008
In reply to TobyA: 'nearly 20 years'

Me too, they're bomb proof...only use it as 2nd stove now because it clogs unless you only use coleman fuel. First stove is now the newer version with the Shaker Jet. Fine on lead free (and I'm told virtually everything else) so costs very little to run...getting more expensive all the time tho'

To the OP - It is worth investing in the maintenance kit if you rely on it in the mountains...'o' rings, lubricant grease etc Learn how to strip the stove and re-assemble - it is simple once you know how.
alanb 17 Jun 2008
In reply to alanb: thanks for the great advice people....ill try the gel idea and practice with it...
if it all goes pete tong....you will see me in the camp site with no hair lol

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...