UKC

British Youth Climbing Championship Finals at Ratho

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 charlieg0pzo 29 Jun 2008
I'd just like to say that we had a brilliant day out on Saturday at Ratho. My grand daughter took part for the first time and really enjoyed it. Many thanks to the BMC for organising it and we look forward to next years competition. Anyone else got any comments.
from Charlie
 Bill Davidson 30 Jun 2008
In reply to charlieg0pzo:

Was the best organised one we've been to so far & Ratho is outstanding as a venue!
 Ade7 30 Jun 2008
In reply to charlieg0pzo: Anyone got any results?
 graeme jackson 30 Jun 2008
In reply to Bill Davidson:
> (In reply to charlieg0pzo)
>
> Was the best organised one we've been to so far

And the least advertised. I live 20 minutes cycle away by canal and there has been nothing in any of the local press. Edinburgh leisure should maybe think about promoting it's white elephant outside climbing circles.
 UKB Shark 30 Jun 2008
In reply to Ade7: Full listing of individual results here:

http://indoorsout.co.uk/index.htm#brycs2008results.htm then click national final individual results box in top left corner
In reply to graeme jackson:

Have to agree, I'm sure the local & not so local radio stations & press would have advertised it. 'White Elephant' ya think!
> 'White Elephant' ya think!
I'm in Broxburn and I think mine is one of the few families here that know about it. I suspect the same applies within edinburgh too. If they advertised the facilities a bit more they'd be sure to attract more punters, especially to the gym which is a class facility.

Well you missed some fantastic performances on Saturday and I think non-climbers would have enjoyed it. Have to admit it's great to have an arena that can accomodate 180 of the best young climbers in Britain (& their assorted families)and still have other climbers climbing at the same time! And that's without the new walls being open!!!
The gym is a class facility, no to many muscle heads there
> (In reply to graeme jackson)
>
> Well you missed some fantastic performances on Saturday and I think non-climbers would have enjoyed it.

If I'd known about it I'd have been there. In fact, I was ratho 2 weeks ago and don't recall having seen any advertising then either. Nothing at Alien about it last week - understandable perhaps.
Jazee 30 Jun 2008
In reply to charlieg0pzo: This was a thoroughly enjoyable series and a superbly organised final. Thanks to all who managed the event.

Thank you too to the BMC members who allow the BMC to provide our climbing youth with these opportunities and to the BMC for making it happen.

Julie

I dont know about Alien, I think overall Ratho has been very good for it. They complement each other & I know loads of peeps that use them both.
 Ian Jones 30 Jun 2008

Agreed.
Also it would be good to know beforehand when you go on the Sunday that you are going to be charged full wack for about 1/3 of the wall as the Comp wall is out of bounds and dozens of routes were stripped for the comp. Typical of climbing walls really; absolutely no respect for the paying punter but I expect better from an establishment which, I assume, is run by council professionals.
In reply to The Purple Pimpernel:

I believe in fairness it was on their website
 UKB Shark 30 Jun 2008
In reply to The Purple Pimpernel: Also it would be good to know beforehand when you go on the Sunday that you are going to be charged full wack for about 1/3 of the wall

I overheard them charging half price when I was at the reception desk in the afternoon. I dont know if they had reduced it in response to (your?) protest earlier in the day.
 Bill Davidson 01 Jul 2008
In reply to Simon Lee:

Wont be long before the new slabs open
Callums dad 01 Jul 2008
In reply to Bill Davidson: wow what a venue, and what a weekend, we all just got home tonight, the competition day ran so well, it's a credit to everyone who made it happen.

I could actualy have a thouroughly enjoyable day there as a spectator, even without having a kid climbing in the competition.

well done to all the kids who stepped up in the regionals, and a well done to all thoes who made it to the final!

thanks to the BMC, and everyone who made the day run like clockwork, and thanks to Ian Dunn and all the folks who made it happen at the northwest regionals.

Pitty its only once a year! callum's nagging me to find competitions allready.

Bill Davidson 02 Jul 2008
In reply to Callums dad:

Was talking to some climbers there last nigt who came into climb on Sat but just watched instead. They thought it was inspirational & have resolved to train harder as they were struggling on the climbs in the 8-10 category
Martin Hopkins (Eleanor's D 02 Jul 2008

I am sure we will always gripe about aspects of climbing wall management - after all aren't they lucky to have us as customers! Having said that, and despite the restrictions due to the new walls going up, we thought that they did a fantastic job at Ratho. After last year's final - which was good - the management stated that they had learned a lot and would improve things if/ when they had another opportunity - now how often do we hear that?

But this year registration was a breeze, ample viewing chairs laid out, stripped walls and boulders with just the problems/routes (sorry to guys turning up on Sunday), audible pa system, and a really slick belaying/ spotting team.

And we won a prize in the raffle!
rrfsteve 05 Jul 2008
In reply to The Purple Pimpernel:

It was half price from the moment they closed the main lead wall. Plus, if you were paying full price, you would still had the use of wall space twice as large as most walls!

It was a great event. The kids were awesome & a true credit to their sport. People keep going on that 'Britain is Broken' and kids these days are little b*****... this comp (year on year) proves this to be wrong. Brin on the 2010 world finals at ratho - perhaps, some of these kids will be climbing here then...
 Bill Davidson 07 Jul 2008
In reply to rrfsteve:

Do you think Ratho will become the 'Home' of the BMC Youth Series? I cant really see any other wall being able to accomodate 180 competitors + their entourage!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...