UKC

Gorges du Tarn info

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
petewimbush 30 Jun 2008
Hoping to climb at the Gorges du Tarn this summer.Can anyone recommend a good campsite? also, is it easy to pick up a guidebook down there? Any info appreciated.
 Pyreneenemec 30 Jun 2008
In reply to petewimbush:

Hell of a big area !

I prefer the Jonte valley, much quieter;damn good climbing,too !

Camping "a la ferme" a Meyruels.
 johnwright 30 Jun 2008
In reply to petewimbush:
> Hoping to climb at the Gorges du Tarn this summer.Can anyone recommend a good campsite?

We stopped a few years ago at St Emimie, it's a lovely village and there are a few campsites. The canoeing was a laugh.
 martin heywood 30 Jun 2008
In reply to petewimbush: It is no problem getting a guidebook. I cant remember name of campsite but it is near to the bidge , just slightly back towards the climbing sectors. The owner/manager is an English bloke called Peter. Be prepared for extreme heat if you go in July.
petewimbush 01 Jul 2008
In reply to Pyreneenemec:
Thanks for that. We might have a look.
 cragspud 06 Jul 2008
In reply to petewimbush: Going to be very hot by now. Was in Languedoc at beginning of June and it was hitting the high 30s. We were having to come off the crags by 10/10.30am s you will probably be limited in what you can do
 Dave Reeve 06 Jul 2008
In reply to petewimbush: I've just got back from a 2 week trip to Gorge du Tarn/Gorge du Jonte. We camped in Le Rozier as it's handy for both the areas and used the municipal site, which has a swimming pool. There are 2 sites next to it which may be cheaper as well as another one the other side of the river. It gets very hot this time of year, so you'd be advised to climb early morning and in the shade, assuming its sunny. The tabac and souvenir shop in Le Rozier both had guides to the area at 22 euros per guide. The Gorge du Jonte tends to require longer walk-ins and as the guide books only have rather poor black and white photos it can take a little while to find some of the climbing spots.
petewimbush 09 Jul 2008
In reply to Dave Reeve:

Cheers for the information. We had intended to climb in the shade! I'll check out the campsite.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...