UKC

Ways up Scafell Pike

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LastBoyScout 04 Jul 2008
Hi,

My sister wants to go and so Scafell Pike in August. I've only done it from the Wasdale side, but really don't fancy the drive round!

Any recommendations for nice routes up that aren't too long/strenuous? I think she's invited a lot of friends to come along, so should be interesting.

Thanks,
 Alex Roddie 04 Jul 2008
In reply to LastBoyScout:
The Wasdale way up is the shortest. I think the longest route is from Langdale.

Your best bet might be to go via Borrowdale up to Styhead Tarn, then take the Corridor route up to the Lingmell col. This is a really nice route that isn't particularly steep anywhere, and is much less busy than the major paths, at least until you get to Lingmell. It's been a few years since I've done it, but I seem to recall a short section of very easy scrambling.
 brieflyback 04 Jul 2008
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Probably the best known other way up is from Seathwaite at the end of Borrowdale (get there fairly early to get parked)

Up to Sty Head (big path), then straight up past Great End. Back the way you came, more or less. A decent day, but nothing too strenuous, although the final approach can be a bit of a stony slog. In August, you can usually follow the 100 other folk who will be heading up that way.
 graeme jackson 04 Jul 2008
In reply to Alex Roddie:
> (In reply to LastBoyScout)
> The Wasdale way up is the shortest. I think the longest route is from Langdale.
>
> Your best bet might be to go via Borrowdale up to Styhead Tarn, then take the Corridor route up to the Lingmell col.

Then when you get to Lingmell col, turn right and climb Lingmell. Looking up Borrowdale from here is (in my eyes) the best view in the lakes). retace your steps and climb scafell pike.
On the descent, make sure to visit the 'summit' of great end, again, fantastic views, especially looking down on sprinkling tarn. Go down via Grains Gill rather than going back to styhead.
 Paul Atkinson 04 Jul 2008
In reply to LastBoyScout: an idea for a way to avoid the weekend crowds a bit and good and interesting route if you're coming from the south: park at Cockley Beck and go up Mosedale round top of Eskdale (Great Moss - wet) and up Little Narrowcove. Good views of Esk Buttress en route and you can descend to Mickledore col and down to Esk that way looking at Scafell and Scafell East

P

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...