UKC

Vibram Fivefinger Sprint shoes soon to be mine!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Lara Croft 20 Jul 2008
I am so excited!

A work pal is currently in the US on business. Whilst out there he will be picking up my new shoes from a US work pal who kindly ordered them online over there for me. £40 with no tax :O)

I shall be getting them on the 4th August.

I cannot wait as I tried on the basic model last month in a shop over here.

Look forward to climbing in them, my feet will be so happy, will of course keep my scarpas for difficult or more technical climbing (when I get to that stage).

Granted I shall have to adapt my climbing style with the new shoes. Shall write a little review when I climb in them.

My feet work best barefoot or in thin flip flops, I can walk on stones, rocks, pretty much anything when feet feel bare. I like to be able to feel where and what I step on. I prefer to balance on my toes than have them crammed into a point inside tight shoes.

Anyhoo thought I would share my excitement. :O)

x
 anansie 20 Jul 2008
In reply to Lara Croft:

Wish ye the health tae wear them! as my wee mammy would say

And..they're on my list of things to see about..will get around to it
 winhill 20 Jul 2008
In reply to Lara Croft:

Five Fingers Sprint? What an unfortunate name, when you don't have time to spoil yourself, maybe?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=five+knuckle+shuffle
Lara Croft 20 Jul 2008
In reply to anansie:

Thank you :O)

I shall be careful as risk of breaking a toe or few may result if I am not careful. But I have strong toes and with patience shall master the barefoot feel style of climbing.

:O) We must spread the news on how wonderful they are, hurry up

x
 anansie 20 Jul 2008
In reply to Lara Croft:

Aye aye lassie, i'll get roon tae it
Lara Croft 20 Jul 2008
In reply to winhill:

Indeed rather erm 'odd' name rofl.

They should have named them 'hobbit shoes'.

x
 anansie 20 Jul 2008
In reply to Lara Croft:

You kinda wonder..what happens if you've got especially fat toes or really skinny long ones?

Lara Croft 05 Aug 2008
In reply to anansie:

It means you are a mutant and therefore cannot wear them. Or you get the hack saw out.

Rather amusing update:

Shoes were ordered as website said they were in stock.

Turns out there were not in stock in that size, so they had to do a special order request to the manufacturer.

Manufacturer sends shoes to Chicago (place ordered from).

There is some kind of muddle with delivery and they get sent to west coast and back again to Chicago.

They then get sent to person ordering them for me, inland in the west.

Now I wait for them to be sent to the UK.

I may get them by the end of the week, if not next week.

Blimey I shall be hugging the darn things when I get them, they have been having a travelling holiday and all sorts!

Will post pics when I get them.

x

anansie 05 Aug 2008
In reply to Lara Croft:

Think you'll be framing them when they arrive! ha ha! Ooh, do mind and send me a pic when they come..i think they're going to be funkeee

Wish ye the health tae wear them me dear
 Chris F 06 Aug 2008
In reply to Lara Croft: So your small shoes have a large carbon footprint?
 Tall Clare 06 Aug 2008
In reply to Lara Croft:

I'll be interested to hear how you get on with them. They look, er, interesting, and like they might be good for wandering around in (for those of us who don't use orthotics) but for climbing? eeep! indoors might be okay but I can't see how you can push any force through your foot if your toes are all separate.
 mikekeswick 06 Aug 2008
In reply to Lara Croft: What on earth are those shoes all about???Don't waste your time trying to climb in them,if you take a fall i'd say broken toes would be a distinct possibility...
 Flatlander 06 Aug 2008
In reply to Lara Croft:

I think you would be better off buying climbing shoe slippers rather than these for climbing. The look more oriented towards water sports that someone decided you could jog in them and maybe scramble up a beach boulder. I'd stick to proper climbing shoes.
 Ade7 06 Aug 2008
In reply to Lara Croft:

I saw a guy climbing (read as trying to climb) in these at a wall once it looked pretty painful. There’s no edges to them and the force isn’t distributed out across your foot. Also I don’t think the shoes would last that long on an indoor wall the rubber looks pretty thin and soft compared to climbing shoes.

There’s a good reason why people climb in climbing shoes.
 dek 06 Aug 2008
In reply to mikekeswick:
> (In reply to Lara Croft) What on earth are those shoes all about???Don't waste your time trying to climb in them,if you take a fall i'd say broken toes would be a distinct possibility...
For fashion victims who won't be going outdoors much methinks?
In reply to Chris F:
> (In reply to Lara Croft) So your small shoes have a large carbon footprint?

As her friend is on business whether buying her shoes or not the Atlantic part of the carbon footprint is nil with respect to her. If she had bought them and travelled to the shop in a car etc then there would be a footprint to add.
 mikekeswick 06 Aug 2008
In reply to dek: Nail on the head methinks!
 Chris F 06 Aug 2008
In reply to grumpybearpantsclimbinggoat: It was a lighthearted comment. Chill out.
 MRJ 06 Aug 2008
In reply to dek:
On the contrary, I have loads of friends in the states who say hiking in these is amazing- well better then invo8's or walshes in many situations.
 dek 06 Aug 2008
In reply to MRJ:
> On the contrary, I have loads of friends in the states who say hiking in these is amazing- well better then invo8's or walshes in many situations.
I would hike along a wet sandy beach in them, but i doubt my feet would like a stony Cairngorm track after five minutes in them. Much prefer the inov8's for that!

In reply to Chris F:
> (In reply to grumpybearpantsclimbinggoat) It was a lighthearted comment. Chill out.

Will do - soz, it hit an argument I've had in the past with people about CF accounting.
J1234 06 Aug 2008
In reply to Lara Croft:
They are great for beach shoes or swimming in rivers or kayaking but rubbish for climbing in, and as a conversation piece.
Cheers Beds

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...