UKC

NEW REVIEW: DMM Bouldering Mats by Jenn Pacyna

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 25 Jul 2008
"I fall. A lot. In fact I fall much more often than I top out. Given this my bouldering mat takes a beating; thereby saving the NHS tons of money in knee replacement surgeries.

At odds with this fact, was the notion, which I held until recently, that a mat was for life, not just for Christmas... ...I needed a new mat..."

Jenn gets to grips with two bouldering mats from DMM

Looking for a new mat? Read More: http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=1144
 Flatlander 25 Jul 2008
In reply to UKC Gear:

Jenn,

Have you fallen on the BIT yet does the extenson do much? Would it be better to compare this matt with a new drop zone rather than your old used one?
 Jenn 25 Jul 2008
In reply to Flatlander:

Oddly enough, last night I discovered Southern Sandstone bouldering (it’s actually not that bad!) and as I didn’t fancy the traditional descent path gained by doing a boulder hop, I decided instead to downclimb a warm up problem. I left my Bit bouldering mat at the base of the descent beforehand in case I got it wrong and I did end up having to jump on it a few times.

My conclusion is that the Bit doesn’t absorb anywhere near as much shock as the Highball, but saying that it is a lot better than nothing! From what I gather it isn’t designed to be a primary mat, rather its uses extend to ‘traverse & up’ style problems where you can place the ‘beefy’ mat under the ‘up’ section and use the Bit to protect stuff nearer to the ground. I used the Bit mat mostly to pad out uneven surfaces on rocky ground as commonly encountered in the Llanberis Pass and for sit starts. Until last night, I hadn’t taken any significant falls onto it.

If I had a new BD Dropzone to hand I would have compared the Highball to it :-D
 TRNovice 25 Jul 2008
In reply to Jenn:

FWIW the Bit is also hany for constricted roof starts, where it would be difficult to fit a deeper mat between the ground and the climber.
 Flatlander 25 Jul 2008
In reply to Jenn:

Thanks Jenn, I wondered about the use of the bit, but can't help thinking for the price spent on the two wouldn't it been better to buy a larger matt? or is this also taking inconsideration the size of the boot? wonder how the DMM system holds up to snap pads?
 Jenn 25 Jul 2008
In reply to TRNovice:
> (In reply to Jenn)
>
> FWIW the Bit is also hany for constricted roof starts, where it would be difficult to fit a deeper mat between the ground and the climber.

Yep - forgot about that!
 TRNovice 25 Jul 2008
In reply to TRNovice:

"handy" even :-o
 Jenn 25 Jul 2008
In reply to Flatlander:
> (In reply to Jenn)
>
> wouldn't it been better to buy a larger matt?

I think the size of our car precludes from having a bigger mat :-D

>wonder how the DMM system holds up to snap pads?

Never used one...
 withey 25 Jul 2008
In reply to Flatlander:

> Thanks Jenn, I wondered about the use of the bit, but can't help thinking for the price spent on the two wouldn't it been better to buy a larger matt? or is this also taking inconsideration the size of the boot?

As mentioned the Bit is really good as a subsidiary pad (somewhere to clean your feet at the start of a traverse, but then use the full pad to protect the high section), but is also much more comfy to sit on to start overhanging problems where you move outwards a long way (Klem's Arete at the Sheep Pens is a very good example). The major benefit is that it fits inside a lot of pads very easily, and you have a much greater floor coverage, without the problem of a bigger heavier pad.
 Jenn 25 Jul 2008
In reply to TRNovice:

I liked 'hany' better :-P
 Morgan Woods 25 Jul 2008
In reply to UKC Gear:

i like how you mentioned the attractive colour but you didn't say what it was like to recline on :p
 Michael Ryan 25 Jul 2008
In reply to Jenn:

Excellent review Jenn.

Thank you.

Mick
 Jenn 25 Jul 2008
In reply to Morgan Woods:

It's quite comfy actually!

When random people ask me what it is I feel very inclined to reply that it's a portable bed that I have to carry with me in case my narcolepsy acts up.

It was fun having it on the Tube at rush hour last night
 Jenn 25 Jul 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Glad to be of service

I really enjoyed doing it!
 Morgan Woods 25 Jul 2008
In reply to Jenn:

or could have been for your padded cell at home.
 TRNovice 25 Jul 2008
In reply to Morgan Woods:

Morgs, you are confusing reality and fantasy again aren't you - and I had thought that the new medication was helping!
 Tall Clare 25 Jul 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

seconded. Super-clear, and answered any question I could care to think of. Good stuff!
 Jenn 25 Jul 2008
In reply to Tall Clare:

Cool - glad you liked it

I just think it's a bit sad that I can write over 2,800 words on a bouldering mat, lol!
 Tall Clare 25 Jul 2008
In reply to Jenn:

I could probably only fit 500 words on one but then my writing's immense
 Jenn 25 Jul 2008
In reply to Tall Clare:

It all comes down to font choice!
 TRNovice 25 Jul 2008
In reply to Jenn:

Enough puns - Ed.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...