UKC

What's your kayak?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 wushu 03 Aug 2008
I was just wondering what other people paddle with?
I've got a Bliss stick huka at the moment
 ring ouzel 03 Aug 2008
In reply to wushu: NDK Explorer. A proper sea kayak, with hatches and everything. And its long, like 17 feet long. And its gorgeous red above with a snowy white hull. As you can probably tell wushu I like my kayak but at the Kayak show I saw that Rockpool do the Alaw Bach with a black glitter gel top deck with a burnt orange cockpit. Lust at fist sight!
OP wushu 03 Aug 2008
In reply to ring ouzel: It looks like a very nice kayak that NDK Explorer. I need to try sea kayaking it looks fantastic.
 ring ouzel 03 Aug 2008
In reply to wushu: But you're only 18! You cant go sea kayaking young man, you'll lower the average age by ooooh, lots!

Sea kayaking is a fast growing sport and its not hard to see why. Many of the people who do it used to go climbing (some still do) and they say its the same sort of buzz, I'd agree with that. Its not a real extreme sport its more an adventure sport, bit like trad climbing. It can be extreme but most of the time its an adventure. Epics are also not unknown! Get yourself some TITS (This Is The Sea, its Justines sense of humour!), in fact get all of them; TITS 1, 2 & 3 and let Justine show you some amazing places and amazing people. See you out there!
 Billy the fish 03 Aug 2008
In reply to wushu: The blue one here http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=39319 which was called out of retirement last week because it holds more gear than my current Dagger redline. I don’t like the redline but it surfs better than the blue one. A composite P&H or Nordkapp look very appealing just now, lovely sleek lines and plenty of carrying capacity.
 woolsack 03 Aug 2008
In reply to wushu: a spud or a rotobat. Go on, say 'whats that?'
OP wushu 03 Aug 2008
In reply to woolsack: Ah i know what a rotobat is, not too sure on the spud though!..

What's that?

Pids 03 Aug 2008
In reply to woolsack:
> (In reply to wushu) a spud or a rotobat. Go on, say 'whats that?'

I have a rototbat, a topo duo and a reflex barcelona slalom boat.

Also may still have a C1 somewhere, but not seen it for a good few years, think it is still in a boatshed in Glasgow.......
 mrcog 03 Aug 2008
In reply to wushu: Hopefull soon a Wavesport Diesel 75
 golfbuggy2000 03 Aug 2008
my weapon of choice is a dagger crazy 88 6.3 gr8 for play but also run rivers with ease (upto grade 4ish) however after that or for long river trips then its a pyranha H3 245
 LastBoyScout 03 Aug 2008
In reply to wushu:

Riot Trickster, used mainly for surfing, occasionally instructing.

If I had the space/money, I'd also have a Dagger Showdown and a dedicated surf kayak.
 Ryan Atkinson 03 Aug 2008
In reply to wushu:

Liquid Logic Pocket Rocket all the way

x
crisp 03 Aug 2008
In reply to wushu:

Wavesport Diesel.
 woolsack 03 Aug 2008
In reply to wushu: spud aka topolino
 zephr 04 Aug 2008
In reply to wushu:

Dagger g-force recently... nice little thing- but havent seen much White Water on it yet... spent far too much time on the rock.
 Matt Vigg 04 Aug 2008
In reply to all:

Could anyone give me any pointers as to what I might buy as a first sea kayak? This would be to use in northern Greece where it's pretty flat and usually fairly calm just for exploring the coast line. Ideally I'd like something as small as possible as I'd potentially be taking from the UK to Greece. Ta!
Jonno 04 Aug 2008
In reply to Matt Vigg:
> (In reply to all)
>
> Could anyone give me any pointers as to what I might buy as a first sea kayak? This would be to use in northern Greece where it's pretty flat and usually fairly calm just for exploring the coast line. Ideally I'd like something as small as possible as I'd potentially be taking from the UK to Greece. Ta!>>>

For what you describe.Probably one of these....

http://www.teksport.co.uk/Rh340_Rockhopper_%27Coastal%27.htm
 Alyson 04 Aug 2008
In reply to wushu: I've got a Wild One. It's a good all-rounder although I suppose it would struggle on harder white waters (but then so would I!) I've had it on the sea and it was brilliant.
 kathrync 04 Aug 2008
In reply to woolsack:
> (In reply to wushu) a spud or a rotobat. Go on, say 'whats that?'

Ooh, I used to have a rotobat when I was about 14. I don't have anything now though, in fact I can't remember the last time I went paddling. I do quite fancy this sea kayaking malarkey though.
 KieranT 04 Aug 2008
In reply to wushu:
Liquidlogic Hoss (for river running) and Dagger Kingpin (for playboating).
 Matt Vigg 04 Aug 2008
In reply to Jonno:

Ta, don't seem to be any prices on there, what sort of price would something like that be?
 raphael 04 Aug 2008
In reply to wushu: I paddled my creek 280 on the upper dart last year. I got a dragorossi mafia and the cockpit was too small. I sold it so sticking with the creek unless I go grade 5.
adamtc 04 Aug 2008
In reply to wushu: I'm not really a sea kayaker but I paddle a Wavesport Forplay in the surf.

Also have a Wavesprot Ace and an Acrobat 270. Both are for sale if anyone's interested.
 Dom Whillans 04 Aug 2008
In reply to wushu:
i had a day in a kayak for the first time in 10 years last week. i'd quite forgotten how ace paddling is (even though i was paddling a cyphur with no footrest!). I'm very jealously reading this thread, anyone selling a decent boat for little money? ex-owner of a very old mountain bat
 Matt Vigg 04 Aug 2008
In reply to adamtc:

How much dyou want for them and what sort of size are they? Are you based in Bristol?
 thustler 04 Aug 2008
In reply to wushu: Liquid logic pocket rocket, love it to bits.
 Paul at work 04 Aug 2008
In reply to wushu: Currently I'm paddling a Pyranha Burn and a Rev. A Prodigy Squirt Boat as well as a We-no-nah Prospector 16 and Dagger Occee.
 pat m 04 Aug 2008
In reply to Paul at work: I take that and raise you:

A Rockpool Alaw in flame glitter finish.
An Ammo
A prospector 16
A Bob Special
An Occee
 Jaffacake 04 Aug 2008
In reply to wushu:

An ammo for rivers and a pocket rocket for attempting to play in

Maybe we need a ukc paddlers meet :P
 Paul at work 04 Aug 2008
In reply to Jaffacake: More than happy with that idea. Tomorrow? I planning on heading down to the Upper Dart with a couple of my long term students.
adamtc 04 Aug 2008
In reply to Matt Vigg: Yes I'm based in Bristol.

The Acrobat is 270cm, orange/green. Had it since new, mostly been surfed but has the usual scratches. Looking for £150.

The Wavesport Ace is about 240cm I think. Hardly been used and in excellent nick. Never been in a river - only been surfed and used in the pool. Paid £800 new, looking for around £300

I've got some photos but as I'm at work I can't post them until this evening.
adamtc 04 Aug 2008
In reply to Matt Vigg: oh... I'm five eleven and 73kg... just to give you an idea of dimensions.
OP wushu 04 Aug 2008
Bloody hell, i didn't know there were this many paddlers on here!

Maybe there should be a ukkayaking.com...

Well i took the Bliss stick out for the first time on some flat water at the weekend, and i cant believe how fast it turns, just need to get out on white water now.

Paul at work 04 Aug 2008
In reply to wushu:
> Bloody hell, i didn't know there were this many paddlers on here!
>
> Maybe there should be a ukkayaking.com...
>

There is ukriversguidebook.co.uk which does the same thing.

Anglesey Pete 04 Aug 2008
In reply to pat m:

I'll raise you further, I've got:
Burn
I4
Rev
Prospector 16
Quest
Capella RM
Scorpio
Cetus (on order)
AND a Move, sit-on-top.

That's just my personal boats!
OP wushu 04 Aug 2008
In reply to Paul at work: Aye im already a member on there, was just thinking of the web address being like ukc.
 Matt Vigg 04 Aug 2008
In reply to adamtc:

Ta, will send u an email.
 SteveOc 04 Aug 2008
In reply to Matt Vigg:

Rotobats, now we're talking! Has anyone still got the zenith of kayak design, the Stunt Bat? In crosslink plastic of course. If anyone still paddles them then kudos.
Jonno 04 Aug 2008
In reply to Matt Vigg:
> (In reply to Jonno)
>
> Ta, don't seem to be any prices on there, what sort of price would something like that be?...

I think they're about £400.

Gooey9340 04 Aug 2008
In reply to wushu: A Riot Glide & Riot Sniper until they got nicked just before easter.
OP wushu 04 Aug 2008
In reply to Gooey9340: Ah unlucky, how did they get nicked?
 Pids 04 Aug 2008
In reply to Jaffacake:
> (In reply to wushu)
>
> Maybe we need a ukc paddlers meet :P

Have it in winter, combined paddling and climbing meet - paddle the Orchy and ice climb at Ben Udlaidh (directly above the Orchy)
 Jaffacake 04 Aug 2008
In reply to Pids:

Sounds like a plan batman. Although I can think of a few rivers up that way I'd like to do with some water in (we keep going at easter and enjoying a week of lovely sunshine)
 Paz 04 Aug 2008
In reply to wushu:

It's a red fiber glass one, with a slight leak and lots of attractive pink fibre glass `repairs' on it. Made By Palm, possibly called ` beach bum' or `sunbather'. It might be a canoe, I don't know the difference.
 sam@work 05 Aug 2008
In reply to wushu: i have a riot disco . . . .old school
thinking of changing it for one of these new fangle type but don't know which boat will do the same as my faithful disco.

just love paddling around grade 4 and being able to play everywhere . .
 mrcog 05 Aug 2008
In reply to Anglesey Pete: You, sir, are a very lucky man.... And i'm bloody jealous
Anglesey Pete 05 Aug 2008
In reply to mrcog: Nah, I've just got too many toys, because I write them off against my tax bill!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...