UKC

MSR Hubba HP Tent. The Holy Grail or Fools Gold?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TMM 05 Aug 2008
MSR Hubba HP Tent

http://www.msrgear.com/tents/hubbahp.asp

Two porches

Less than 1.3Kg

The Holy Grail or Fools gold?

littledave107 05 Aug 2008
I have just bought a Hubba Hubba (the 2 man version) for long distance walking, not used it yet however first impressions are that it does what is says on the tin. Very light, not very strong, not very durable.

I will let you know what I think after a couple of weeks use if I remember.
The best thing is to bear in mind that light weight means compromises elsewhere.

Dave
 mark burley 06 Aug 2008
In reply to TMM: I had an MSR zoid. What the picture didn't show me is that the fly was cut quite high which I presume helps with ventilation in the U.S but doen't help with windblown rain over here. If you see one let me know if that's the case.
I'm going to stick with tents designed for European conditions in the future. BTW do you change your tents even more often than me,
OP TMM 06 Aug 2008
In reply to mark burley:

He, He!!

I must confess to being a bit sad when it comes to tents.

The cut of the MSR flysheets has been altered on the 2008 versions so they come much closer to the ground.

Sadly the Hubba HP has now rules itself out of the running due to the following issues.

1. Despite what the floorplan shows there is just the one porch and only one door to the inner tent.
2. It is very, very narrow. It is the width of a Thermarest!
3. No guylines
4. Slab sided.

It looked too good to be true and sadly this has proven to be the case.

Looks like I should never have sold my Akto!

Any other suggestions?
 chris_s 06 Aug 2008
In reply to TMM:

What about the Hubba Hubba HP? Not that much more weight and plenty of room for two, and it has two porches.
 BigMac 06 Aug 2008
In reply to chris_s: I have one and it is very good... highly recommend it.
 BigMac 06 Aug 2008
In reply to BigMac: that is ... I have the Hubba HP tent..
OP TMM 06 Aug 2008
In reply to BigMac:

How does it cope with high winds given it's height and lack of guys?

Is it really as narrow as I was warned? The word 'coffin' was used to describe how it feel in terms of width!
 BigMac 06 Aug 2008
In reply to TMM: You can guy it out, and it was good in high winds... if someone can vouch for you that I know, I will send you mine so you can have a look if you want, not going to be using it again for a few months...
OP TMM 06 Aug 2008
In reply to BigMac:

That's a very generous offer but I don't want to put anyone to any bother. I think I have read enough comments from others elsewhere to persuade me that it's not the one for me.

Thanks once again though, a real rarity to find someone offering to be so helpful!!
 BigMac 06 Aug 2008
In reply to TMM: no problem, the offer is there if you do.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...