UKC

TRAGIC NEWS: Accident in the Alps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
In reply to Fredt: anybody more news?
 JBGee 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:

He was from Guisborough, Cleveland.
 Alex Roddie 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:
That's terrible.
 JBGee 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:

The local news has just named him as Ian Jackson. Our thoughts must go to his family and the friends who were with him.
In reply to JBGee: Yes of course, poor lad.
 brieflyback 08 Aug 2008
In reply to JBGee:

I thought it might be him. Christ that's so sad.

DaveWarb 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt: Extremely sad news, it was a shock when i heard this morning.

May i please ask this thread does not descend into speculation, im sure it wouldn't but it just wouldn't be acceptable.

thanks. dave
 brieflyback 08 Aug 2008
In reply to DaveWarb:

Seconded. Hope you're doing OK, lad.
 Tom Last 08 Aug 2008
In reply to DaveWarb:

Best wishes to you and your friends.

Very sad RIP.
 Dom Whillans 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:
aye, very bad news to start the day... thoughts and prayers to all concerned.
adderz 08 Aug 2008
In reply to JBGee:

that's terrible news, condolences to all
 dread-i 08 Aug 2008
In reply to DaveWarb:
Terrible news. My thoughts are with his family and friends.
 Tall Clare 08 Aug 2008
In reply to DaveWarb:

oh my word - so sorry to hear that. Thoughts are with you and Ian's other friends, and his family.
 Sredni Vashtar 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt: extremely sad, especially as through this site i can place a person to the name. Condolences to family and friends
 malc 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Sredni Vashtar: Very Sad News. My thoughts are with family and friends.

Malc
rich 08 Aug 2008
that's a real shame - i find myself really upset

my thoughts and best wished to everyone involved
 Crofty 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt: Very sad news, I saw Ian a couple of weeks ago in the Lakes at Pavey Ark, preparing for his alps trip. Condolences to all his family and friends. Crofty
In reply to Fredt: Terrible news. Condolences to friends and family. =o(
 sasmojo 08 Aug 2008
In reply to DaveWarb: Sorry to hear about this Dave, condolences to you, his friends and famliy.
 Zygoticgema 08 Aug 2008
In reply to DaveWarb: <HUG> I'm so sorry, condolences to you, his friends and his family.
 Owen W-G 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Zygoticgema:

That's really tragic. Thoughts to all friends and family of Ian.
 jkarran 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:

Tragic news. Don't know what else to say really

jk
satori 08 Aug 2008
In reply to DaveWarb:

such a shame.

i quite liked ian. in the brief online chats we had he seemed quite modest and humble for someone so young who climbed reasonably well.

thoughts are with his family and friends.
 liz j 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:
Terrible news, was he climbing with Franco, they did a lot together I believe. I was only thinking yesterday about how they were getting on. Sympathies to family and friends x
 lynda 08 Aug 2008
In reply to DaveWarb: Horrible news. My condolences to all.
 Al Evans 08 Aug 2008
In reply to liz j: Can I add my sympathy and condolences to this thread as I have asked the mods to pull my duplicate.
Anglesey Pete 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt: Sincere condolonces to his family and friends. It's a real shock when something like this happens.
 viking 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:

terrible news - my thoughts are with his family and the lads out there with him
 control freak 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt: Immensely sad. All my thoughts and best wishes to Ian's family and friends and to those here who knew him.
 Adam1973 08 Aug 2008
In reply to DaveWarb: Big Ian's just called to give me the news. Can't believe it ...
 Jack Geldard 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt: Terrible news. Condolences to his family and friends. Short report submitted by Franco Cookson here:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=08&year=2008#n45249

Best wishes to all.

Jack
 Chris F 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt: Really sad. Condolences to all who knew him.
 Andy Hobson 08 Aug 2008
In reply to DaveWarb:

Oh, f*cking hell.

So sorry to hear that Dave. Hope you're doing OK. I'd met Ian and chatted with him online quite a bit, a really nice and enthusiastic guy.

What a sad loss.
 Quiddity 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:

I'm utterly shocked. Condolences to his family and friends.

Monk 08 Aug 2008
In reply to DaveWarb:

That is terrible news. I can't claim to know Ian, but he always came across as very humble and a sound guy on here.

A terrible loss. Best wishes to everyone involved.
 Paul Atkinson 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt: what terrible and tragic news - my condolences to all his family and friends

Paul
 lithos 08 Aug 2008

Terrible news, condolences to family and friends.

Only met Ian v.briefly last year, nice lad
 Mr Powly 08 Aug 2008
Really awful news, utterly tragic. Spent a few evenings with Ian in Chamonix last summer, a really open and enthuastic guy.
T
 Simon Caldwell 08 Aug 2008
In reply to DaveWarb:
I never got round to meeting him, just exchanged emails about a shared love of Whitestonecliffe.
Lost for words, very sad.
In reply to Fredt: I didn't know Ian that well, I'd just climbed with him a few times in the Lakes and met up with him out in Cham.

He had an endless and boundless enthuisisum for climbing. Nothing ever seemed too much to ask.

We did the Cordier Pillar together last week. Ian stormed up the route putting my fittness to shame. When the ropes got jammed on the descent Ian prussiked up like a machine, with that cheeky grin he always wore. No blame was given to me, even though it was my fault they jammed.

Ian was clearly very driven and I have no doubt that in five years time he would have been one of the`leading lights of British climbing.

I have no bad memories or words to say about Ian.

A lot of wine was drunk last night in his memory.

I'm not convinced this climbing lark is worth it.
 Dave Todd 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:

Awful awful awful news. From his posts on UKC he seemed a fantastic young person – thoughtful and adventurous. my heartfelt condolences to his family and close friends. RIP.
 Psycho_Delta 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt: My condolences to friends and family.

Didn't know him, but there's clearly a lot of love on here, truly a sorry event.
 nigel pearson 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:
My condolences to friends and family.
 JB 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Psycho_Delta:

I didn't know Ian at all but was really struck by his love of climbing on the NY Moors and his wonderful sense of adventure. A very sad loss.
In reply to Fredt: That is very very sad news. My thoughts go out to family and friends.
 groovy_nut 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:

I don't really know what to say. A terrible loss, really, really awful. My thoughts go out to Ian's friends and family.
 brieflyback 08 Aug 2008
In reply to JB:

Likewise, had never met Ian, but his postings on here spoke volumes about his maturity, good humour, humble enthusiasm, and love of climbing. He was the kind of lad most of us would have liked to go cragging with.

My thoughts today are with his family, and with his mates both in the UK and coping with it all out in the Alps.
In reply to Fredt:

I find it very sobering that accidents like this can still happen to someone who was clearly experienced and talented. I can only add my condolences to the long list here.
 Garbh Coire 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt: This is shocking and terrible news. My heartfelt condolences go out to Ian's friends and family.

I met Ian just over two weeks ago at the Couvercle Hut. He had soloed the Whymper Couloir that morning. Myself and a friend were still recovering from our ascent the previous day.

I'm not ashamed to say I viewed this young lad with some envy and intrigue. His enthuisiam and ambition were clearly apparent. He was obviously an exceptional character and destined to do great things in the mountains.

A huge loss.
didn't know Ian either except through reading his posts on here. still a tragedy though.
thoughts with his friends and family
 jools 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:

A cold shock to hear his name on the radio this morning. Thoughts to all Ian's friends and family.

Jools
 Toby S 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:

Such sad news. My thoughts and condolences go out to Franco and the guys that were with him and his family.
 sutty 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC:

So sorry for his family and friends, stunned that the most experienced of the moors contingent was to die that way.
 Graeme Hammond 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:

Condolences to family and friends, I met Ian at the start of his gap year last summer at Shepherd’s crag, I hope he managed to achieve all of his aims he so enthusiastically talked about for this year before such tragedy. RIP
 JBGee 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Garbh Coire:

> I'm not ashamed to say I viewed this young lad with some envy and intrigue. His enthuisiam and ambition were clearly apparent. He was obviously an exceptional character and destined to do great things in the mountains.

I had the same thoughts the only time I ever saw him and his friends climbing. Just seeing him that day had made me wish I had taken up climbing properly years ago so that I could (possibly) be more confident now.

A very sad loss indeed. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

paul lane 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt: Really sad, tragic news. The very deepest symapathy to all who new and cared for him.
 Lh88 08 Aug 2008
He was a good climber and a great freind. He will be remembered in our climbing. RIP.
 DaveWarb 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Garbh Coire:

> I'm not ashamed to say I viewed this young lad with some envy and intrigue. His enthuisiam and ambition were clearly apparent.

This speaks alot about Ian. I think everyone that met him, felt this way.
 Alex Roddie 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:
Jesus, I didn't realise it was Ian Jackson. What a terrible shock. I always liked him from what I had read on UKC. It really drives home a sense of awful perspective when something like this happens.
 DaveWarb 08 Aug 2008
In reply to luketheape: How are you doing Luke? YHM
 petestack 08 Aug 2008
My condolences and sympathy to all concerned.

In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:
> I'm not convinced this climbing lark is worth it.

While things like this are catastrophic for those most immediately affected and quite rightly make us all stop to think, I'd say it's still got to be worth it or we quite simply wouldn't still be doing it. But that doesn't make it risk free, and many of us here probably know people who've been killed or badly injured climbing. It's 22 years (which is half my lifetime up till now) since the first person I knew was killed climbing, but I still vividly remember my father (who also climbed, and had lost friends through the sport) reassuring me that, while it's likely to happen to someone you know sooner or later if you keep climbing long enough, that's no reason in itself not to climb. So I'm terribly sorry to hear about Ian, but hope he'd want you to keep climbing after quite rightfully questioning things now.

Wil Treasure 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:

I didn't know Ian personally, but I do remember him on these forums. I remember being very surprised to find out how young he was given the very knowledgable, calm and honest nature of his posts.

Tragic.
 Trangia 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:

Awfull news. My condolences to all his family and friends.
4712topo 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:

Very sorry to hear this although I am not currently a climber and had not met Ian but I have lost friends in the past and it is particularly sad when someone dies so young and with such a promising future. Condolences to his family and friends.

Steve
 Rob Naylor 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:

Terrible news. Condolences to his family and friends.
 Al Evans 08 Aug 2008

Tom its worth it, this was a tragic accident, almost a silly one considering what Ian had done, but these thoughts have happened to me when I have lost friends in the mountains, just say to yourself, what would Ian have wanted me to do, give up, stop crossing the road, of course he wouldn't, his memory will be better served by you carrying on climbing , and taking care.
 MrDobs 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt: Terrible news, my condolences to the family. I grew up climbing in the moors and hearing Ian and his pals talk about it so glowingly on here warmed my heart.
 Rich Guest 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:

I met Ian once at Raven Crag while I was climbing with someone else but we ended up doing a route together. He seemed a totally committed and enthusiastic lad.

My love and sympathy to those who were close to him, family & friends.
In reply to Fredt: It seems such a shame that one of a bunch of enthusiastic climbers has been lost, in what is normally considered a relatively safe activity.

Considering you lot have been off to the Alps, up in Scotland and loads of other places, doing pretty adventurous, committing and difficult routes, it seems such a waste for it to all end while sport climbing.

Tom, it'll take a bit of time and strength and a lot of soul searching, but as others have said, I'm sure the last thing he would have wanted is for any of you to be put off climbing.

A friend of mine died a couple of years ago while scrambling in Glencoe, and now whenever I'm on easy ground it makes me go a little slower, take a bit more time, but there's no reason to stop. Take care out there!
 Frank4short 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt: Condolences to his family friends & especially to the lads that were with him that day. He always seemed nice & i have to say i particuarily like the way he was able to put Franco in his place when Franco was showing his over exuberance.
 Pete Ford 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:

Condolences to family and friends,especially to those with Ian at the time.
Pete
I've just uploaded a load of recent photos of Ian... they should be in my gallery pretty soon.
 AndyH1710 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:

I can't claim to have ever met Ian or even chatted directly to him but just recognising his name off here has given me an odd feeling.

Deepest sympathies to the family and all those involved.
 PDL 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:
Very sad news, sympathy and condolences to his family and friends.
 Henry Iddon 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:

Thats a real tragedy. I was out in Cham when I was 18 and remember phoning home for my A level results. There but for the grace of God....
 thomasadixon 08 Aug 2008
In reply to AndyH1710:

Same, he came across as a really nice enthusiastic guy to me from reading his posts. My deepest condolences to all those involved, such a shame to see a life cut short.
 erikb56 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:

Like many others didn't know Ian directly but from reading the forum he appeared a helpful, knowledgable and pleasant guy.

Deepest sympathies.
 Tobias at Home 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide: Utmost sympathies to friends, family and, especially, those out in Chamonix with Ian.

I didn't know Ian but those photos and his posts bring him across as an extremely happy and enthusiastic chap.

I have no doubt he was starting along a very successful and enjoyable career in the Alps.

A very sad day.
 David Hooper 08 Aug 2008

Thanks for sharing those photos Tom.........ahh the golden carefree days of youth..............shocking and so sad that this should have happened.

My condolences to friends and family.

To Tom, Franco, Dave and all the other "young turks" on this site. Give your friend a bloody good send off. If you are going to have a party/wake mail me and I will send you a cheque for some booze or maybe you could start a memorial fund for Ian - something like the Conville Trust? - I'm sure UKCers would contribute.

I kinow you will all be soul searching about your own climbing now, but please try to learn something from this tragedy and get straight back out there into the mountains and crags that you all so obviously love. Im sure thats what Ian would want you all to do.

Ian probably packed a lot of life into those 19 years , so celebrate that.

My love and best wishes to you all and to Ians family.
 popebenedictus 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:

I had the pleasure of meeting Ian earlier this year as he was soloing a bit on Stanage. Condolences to Ian's family and friends.
 JimR 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:

Utterly tragic!
 JDDD 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt: That is really sad. My condolences to the family.

It brings to mind a near miss that happened during one of my uni trips at Les Gaillands where the climber reached the top but confusion in comminications lead to the leader sitting on the rope at the same time that the belayer took him off belay. The climber was ok but there were a lot of pale faces at the camp site that night. I guess it just goes to show how innocent mistakes can result in tragedy.

A tragic loss.
In reply to Fredt: Utterly terrible news. Condolences and thoughts to Ian's family and friends.
 anansie 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:

Oh he was only a lad still My deepest condolences to his family and friends and , don't quite know what to say..

Slugain Howff 08 Aug 2008
In reply to anansie:

Very sad - very sobering. I've spent the day reliving all my climbing near misses over the last 30 years.

Slugain
 RocknRoll 08 Aug 2008

I'm sorry you young men had to experience this. It is so tragic that a teenager embarking on such a wonderful time of his life should die so suddenly. I hope there is some solace in knowing that your camaraderie and adventurousness would have made his time with you more rewarding. My thoughts and sympathy are with you and Ian's other friends and family.
 kevinknights 08 Aug 2008
Rest in peace Ian.
Cat Best 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:
Hi.. urm
Can i just say thanks to everyone for this, Ian was my cousin, he was great, we wern't exactly close but i looked up to him, he was outgoing and smart. god i miss him

So thanks for all the condolences. we all need to pull together at a time like this. we all appreicate this.

dinkypen 08 Aug 2008
> Recent photos of Ian doing what he loved:

I can't look at those photos without bursting into tears Probably something to do with me being the mum of a similarly aged, enthusiastic and talented young climber who I thought I was going to lose 3 years ago in a climbing accident. However, I can only start to imagine the awful awful feeling of loss that his parents will be feeling right now. His mates that he was climbing with will need a major amount of support on their return too, having witnessed such an horrific accident. Hopefully something positive can somehow be brought out of this tragic event.
I Falafelot 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:

This is really very sad.

It's awful that it takes something as tragic as this to remind us that the dangers of our chosen sport, that we sometimes deny are there, are ever present and just waiting for our mistakes.

My thoughts go out to Ian's family and friends.
 IanJackson 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide: everyones kinds thoughts are so warming, and although it will never take the pain away from our loss it helps us as we know Ian was the person describe in all these threads. please can any pictures of Ian be sent to either, Ian's email address or that of mine emmaejackson@hotmail.com. (his sister). thankyou again all his family.
Andrew Donaldson 08 Aug 2008
Ian Jackson was a great person of Guisborough, for those who don't know of him he was always optomistic, extremely caring of those around him and could never be seen without a smile. He was a good friend and an even greater friend of my brother Ben and his other close friend Rob for which he'll be greatly missed in Guisborough.

However as my brother said to me today, with a smile, "He died whilst doing the one thing he loved" which is how most people would want it to end.

Like everyone else, my heart goes out to him, his family and all his friends.
 practicalcat 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:
This is such sad news. My deepest sympathies to his friends and family.
 jas wood 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:
as a friend i,m totally devastated.
 Jenn 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:

Shocking and terrible news. Condolences to family and friends.
 TRNovice 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:

Can I add my condolences as well, very sad news.
 James Oswald 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:
Condolonces to everyone who knew him. Awful news
 gingerdave13 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Andrew Donaldson:

> However as my brother said to me today, with a smile, "He died whilst doing the one thing he loved" which is how most people would want it to end.

i almost posted this earlier. Condolences to the Family, friends and those involved.
In reply to Fredt:

Terrible news!! I met Ian at Lawrencefield back in Feb and he seemed incredibly keen and quite bold on the sharp end... He took a massive lob off Billy Whizz and just said "Don't worry, I usually bounce!"

My condolences to his friends and family.
 mmmp4tb3 08 Aug 2008
I met Ian two weeks ago, i wandered onto the Argentier campsite, vaguely recognised ian from UKC photos, and having heard his name through friends got chatting. Ended up giving him a space in the tent that night.

He had loads to say, and was full of ideas, quite inspiring. As another guy with me said, he made us feel very old, which is difficult considering i'm 22.

Last night a group of the people who had climbed and camped with him over the last couple of weeks got very drunk late into the night. Remembering him made us not only miserable but also to laugh a lot.

The last copuple of weeks hve been some of the best i can remember. I think Ian would have said the same.

Tom Brookes
In reply to gingerdave13:

My main worry is that Ian's family won't understand the reason's behind his climbing.

He truly loved all the experiences we went through and was always completely without ego, climbing for the line and for enoyment, rather than grades.

The trip up the cordia pillar was the best climb of my life. The great sence of friendship, between all five of us and the shared expeirence was truly something only climbing can give.

He was a far more rounded climber than me, climbing for the love of it.
 James Oswald 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Franco Cookson and mmmp4tb3:

Both amazing but sad stories of him.
Sorry to hear about it.
 ClimberEd 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Franco Cookson:

Maybe they'll ask and you can try and gently explain all the positive reasons for climbing.

Greatest sympathies to all who knew him.
 Martin Wright 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt: My family and I were climbing at Les Gaillands the week before last and we absolutely loved the whole "holiday climbing" atmosphere of the place and the stunningly beautiful setting. Events like this provide a stark reminder of the dark side of climbing and of the need to be careful at all times. It is such a tragedy for a young, talented and clearly much-loved member of the climbing community to be taken in this way, and my condolences and best wishes go to his family and friends.
 gingerdave13 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Franco Cookson: it's probably always going to be hard for them to understand why he chose to do something so dangerous. But i'd hope my parents would understand the pull of mountains and climbing..
anthonyecc 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt: I am totally shocked and saddend by this terrible accident. I had met Ian at the lakes festival and bumped into him at stanage not long before he went to chamonix to meet Tom and everyone. My deepest thoughts extend to Tom, Franco and Ian's family.

RE: david hooper - your Idea sounds great I for one would certainly contribute to some kind of memorial fund.

Be safe lads and don't let this stop you from doing what you and Ian loved so much. I have no doubt that Ian wouldn't want it anyother way.

Ian, you will be very dearly missed and you will be remembered for your cheeky smile and your ability as a climber/mountaineer for eternity
 Ian McNeill 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:

I never met Ian, may I offer my sincere condolences to his family and friends.

The rest of you out there take care...
 Lemony 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt: A great shame. Sounds like he'll live on in a lot of climbers' memories for all the right reasons.
 Michael Ryan 08 Aug 2008
Lost for words and deeply saddened. Met Ian at the Lakes Climbing Festival a few weeks a go with the rest of the young turks. So much laughter and enthusiasm. Sincere condolences to his mum and dad, Angela and David, and the the rest of Ian's family and friends.

In Memoriam: Ian Jackson

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=1199
 Tiggs 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt: Just read the report in the Times and then came on here. My deepest condolences to this young man's family & friends, such a tragic accident.
 Red Rover 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:

Very sad to hear about Ian, I hope his family and friends manage.
 Rubbishy 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:

Little I can add to what people have already said. My thoughts to his family and friends.
 skeev 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt: Tragic indeed. My condolences to all who knew him. He sounds like a great guy, someone his family can be very proud of.
 robdan 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt: terrible, terrible news, my thoughts are with his family and friends at this awful time. RIP.
 SCC 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:

Very sad news.

My condolences to Ian's family and friends.

Si
Removed User 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:

Really sad to hear this about a young guy giving his all in the Alps, livng his youth in a way that a lot of the more mature on here, me included, would love to be able to re-live.

To Tom, Franco et al: thinking of you guys here. I hope you all get back into the mountains that, like Ian, you clearly love.

Stuart
 Kate 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt: Terrible news. Condolences to his family, friends and anyone that knew him.
 TN 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Removed User:

I didn't know Ian but it sounds like he touched the lives of many. He sounds like he was a fine young man and I think I'd've liked to have know him.
I can't imagine how his friends and family must be feeling right now but I'm thinking about you all.
 ro8x 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:
Condolences to all his friends and family. Terrible accident, I hope Franco and the rest of the lads can still get out there and do what they enjoy the most.

Karl

1234None 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:

Very sad news - condolences to his family and friends.
In reply to Fredt:

I've never met Ian, but through his UKC posts he stuck me as an enthusiastic and obviously sincere young man, and I've little doubt he would have become a great climber and mountaineer, had not destiny been so unkind with him.

And as a parent of two kids of more or less Ian's age, I can just imagine the grief and sense of loss that Ian's family is experiencing now.

I think I can speak for all Italian climbers when I send my most heartfelt condolences to Ian family and friends.
 Skyfall 08 Aug 2008
I saw this in the news this morning and exchanged emails with Mick and was terribly shocked when I found out it was Ian. Haven't got it out of my head all day and have been pretty upset reading all the tributes above.

I was climbing at Les Gaillands a few weeks back at the end of a trip. Lovely place to climb with great views and I'm sure Ian and his friends were enjoying themselves. But it brings all back to me and I almost feel there with them when it happened. Such a shame at such a young age.

As Al said so well (thanks), it's not a reason to give up climbing but to reflect and celebrate Ian's life and love of climbing. And to take care out there, particularly you youngsters

Thanks Tom for uploading those photos. Had a hard job looking at them but they're great and I'm sure his friends and family will treasure them in years to come.

I'm really pleased to see the lack of speculation as well. It was a tragic accident, enough said I think.

I will raise my glass in celebration of Ian's life though I did not know him other than through UKC. If talk of a fund of some type is serious, I would like to contribute.

Jon
emma jackson 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Franco Cookson: just to say thankyou again for all the kinds words and thoughts that are shared about Ian as my little brother i truely do understand his passion, and however i feel for selfish reasons i know he died doing what he loved best and i just hope people remeber that. he was good at what he did, a little clumsy and accident prone at times but that is what made him Ian Jackson. some people may think how i could write here, but doing this i feel a little closer to my little brother who is i a different country. i believe all his friends out there will give him the send off he deserves. that mean lots of garlic, red wine and cider. thanx again to all please stay in touch. x
 tanssop 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:

Shocked and saddened to read this news.

Condolences to all that are close to Ian.
 danny 7a+ 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:
very sad to hear this terrible news my thoughts are with all his family and friends. i didnt meet him but he seemed a great guy from what i know off him on here.
franco and co just please dont let this stop you doing what ian loved so much just stay safe.

danny x
 pottsworth 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:
I heard about this this morning on the radio, but have only just realised Ian was the climber I met one night at the argentiere campsite.
I wondered over to sit with a few guys who I was doing the conville course with, and Ian instantly introduced himself with a massive grin and a warm handshake.
We chatted quite a bit that night, and he came across as a brilliantly genuine guy who was absolutely in his element, and doing just what he lived for. I have no doubt he would have gone on to be a brilliant ambassador for our sport. Although it is tragic that he is no longer with us, I have no doubts from chatting to him that night, and seeing what he said about climbing, that is was an activity that deeply enriched his life, and that without it he would not have been the same grinning, full of life guy that I instantly warmed to.

Ian is the first person I have known in any way who has been killed climbing, and the slow realisation that it was him , initially hoping that it was just someone similar looking, then slowly realising that it wasn't is kind of hard.

Franco, tom, et al - My thoughts are with you guys. Loosing a climbing partner is something no one wants to have to think about, and to do so can't be easy for anyone. I really hope you can make some sense of climbing, and what it all means. It would be a real shame if you guys lost your passion for what seemed to be the love of Ian's life. It sounds like you guys had a bit of a heavy night last night, and may well have a few more, but hopefully you can smile at Ian's memory, how much he achieved and who he was. From my short time spent with him, I really got the impression that he would have it no other way

The last time I saw Ian was at the bus stop leaving the argentiere campsite, when he game me another massive toothey grin, a wave, and a shout of "have fun mate"

Ultimately, a proper, genuine climbing gent.
Condolences to all his family and friends. Hopefully that can at least take some comfort from the fact that he was in his element during the time he was out there.

Have fun mate
In reply to Fredt: I didn't know Ian but I'd like to add my condolences to everyone who did know him. Those pictures show someone young, happy and full of life and I hope that those images of him can remain for who all who knew and cared for him.
 vincentvega 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt: rip ian, my thoughts are with your freinds and family.
 Alan Taylor 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt: rip Ian, our thoughts are with your friends and family.

Alan & Lillian

jas wood 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:
unbelievably sad news to hear today and finding it hard to come to terms with what has happened. deepest and sincere sympathy goes out to family and friends of ian who was a very gifted climber and very passionate about it,

rest in peace mate.
jas

i,ll see if i can dig out a picture or 2 of ian and put on site.

maybe next years lakes festivel could be the ian jackson memorial ?
Rosie A 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:

I met Ian briefly when he was soloing at Stanage. He came up and introduced himself in a really open friendly manner just because he recognised me off the forums. I was quite startled but really taken with his charisma and obvious love of climbing, and I thought when I was watching him that he would be a name in climbing one day. I'm really saddened by his death.
 sjbutterworth 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:

Very sad to see a promising young life lost too early... doing something he clearly loved.

Condolences to all his family and friends.

antwan 08 Aug 2008
I thought I recognised the name on the radio, Bit of a sad day.

As everyone else has said, My thought are with his family and friends
 MNA123 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:

Condolences, this is terrible news.
In reply to Fredt:

To Franco, Dave, Tom and the rest of you young guns out there I always enjoy reading your posts from the sidelines and can only ever dream of achieving what you all have so far! My thoughts are with you, be safe, but never give up on the spirit of adventure!

La Sham
 Caralynh 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:

Just been alerted to this. Sincere condolences from CiderNut, climbingpixie, Dan (dpmUK), James, and myself. sad news indeed
mm548 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:

Just adding to all that has been said, condolances to friends and family.
Had shared a few emails with Ian in the past, and he always seemed like a top guy.
 jonnie 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt: I read this news with great sadness. Although I only knew him through the forums he was an inspiring lad who conducted himself with grace, humour and maturity.

My thoughts and condolences to those who were with him and to his friends and family.
 Sandrine 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:

In tears reading this, although I had never met him. RIP Ian.
violentViolet 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Sandrine:

My condolences to all his family and friends.
Stuart Jarrett 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Franco Cookson: Franco - I'm sure you're having a pretty rough time out there at the moment. In my roles as both a fellow Cleveland climber and as one of your ex-teachers, I want to let you know I'm thinking about you and hope you are all looking after each other.

To me - and I doubt if I'm alone in this - Ian was a breath of fresh air on the climbing scene; particularly of note were his boundless enthusiasm and his ability to relate to fellow-climbers of all ages, from 15-70+

As a - dare I say it? - middle-aged climber and a jaded school-teacher, Ian did a lot to restore my faith in British youth.

I hope that you and Dave W. will carry on as you were doing - aiming high and living life to the full.
Stuart Jarrett
 Ybot Htulk 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Stuart Jarrett:

Heard about this on the radio this morning. Deepest sympathies to all his family and friends.
 deacondeacon 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt: A very sad day for the British climbing community.
Condolences to friends and family.
Deacon & Lauren
 davefount 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:

I didn't know Ian, but as a climber of the same age...

Rest in peace

but for the grace of god...
The Boy From Space 09 Aug 2008
In reply to davefount: My thoughts are with Ian's family and friends.So very young, but probably lived more than most..

Take care

Dan Walker 09 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt: Really sad new. Very sorry to hear about it. Best wishes to Ian's family and friends.
 Paul Atkinson 09 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt: Franco and friends if you need any material help getting home for the funeral or anything else please PM me

Paul
Lesley Burke 09 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt: we met Ian very shortly before he died, he was clearly a bright lad enjoying life and it is a terrible loss. my heart went out to his friends who were in deep shock as he was airlifted away. I prayed he would survive but very sadly he did not.
climbing is a very worthy sport and should always be done with care no matter how experienced the climber, so keep on doing it in his memory...
our thoughts are with his family and friends who have to live with this tragic loss.
 TonyG 09 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:
This is very sad news indeed. Sincere condolences to the Jackson family and all of Ian's friends at an impossibly difficult time.

Tony
Rosie A 09 Aug 2008
In reply to JonC:

A fund would be good. I was cut up last night, and I still can't stop crying this morning thinking about him and what his friends and family must be going through. Emma you're one brave person, it sounds like you two are from the same mould.
 owlart 09 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt: What can I say, my most sincere condolences to Ian's family and friends. A promising career cut tragically short
 CarolineMc 09 Aug 2008
In reply to emma jackson: Sincere condolences to you and your family. It's a tragic loss and though I didn't know Ian, it shows from the tributes here that you had a wonderful brother who lived life to the full. Remember the good times, it helps a little. Caroline
 Michael Ryan 09 Aug 2008
Alan James is away at the moment but I contacted him yesterday and he sends his condolances.

Alan had met Ian last year up at the mighty Wainstones.

This from Alan's blog with a mention of Ian:

Windy Wainstones
Tuesday, September 18th, 2007

"As luck would have it the CMC (Cleveland Mountaineering Club) had planned a meet for the Wainstones on that same evening - now that’s pretty damn keen: an isolated and exposed crag with a 30 minute walk-in, for an evening meet when the weather might be a bit dodgy! Anyway we were just packing up when most of the members arrived since it was too cold for us southern softies (more of that later). Having just bottled out of West Sphinx Direct - my excuse is that I didn’t have the required micro-wires to protect the bold move over the initial bulge but it was probably lack of motivation and cold fingers - we were leaving the crag since it was way too cold to actually climb. So when I later found out that keen CMC member Ian Jackson had not only climbed at the Wainstones in that freezing wind, he had also managed West Sphinx Direct, I was pretty damn impressed. He is not that tall either which I understand from shorty Jon Read’s comments makes the top move even harder."

http://blog.rockfax.com/alanjames/2007/09/
Profanisaurus Rex 09 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:

Very saddening news indeed. It's never nice to hear of the passing of someone so young. RIP Ian, and my thoughts and sincere condolences to all who knew him.
iain roberto 09 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:

I didn't know Ian, only through reading his posts on UKC. He seemed like a bright, upcoming light in the climbing world and reading of his adventures certainly brought a smile and memories of carefree days among the hills. My deepest sympathies to his family, his friends and all those who knew him.
loopyone 09 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt: Condolences to Ian's family and friends. I saw, spoke and joked with him at the Argentiere campsite. Didn't realise it was him though he seemed to be lugging a whole families worth of bags around.
 sjbutterworth 09 Aug 2008
A short, sympathetic article in this mornings Guardian

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/aug/09/france
 J0 09 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:

Our sincere thoughts and prayers are with Ians family and friends at this time.

With our deepest sympathy

Jo and Nick

crieff427 09 Aug 2008
In reply to David Hooper:

I did not know Ian but I have been in contact with franco over the last few weeks with a view to getting some stuff done, i am out in cham from 19th aug. I want to extend my sympathies to Ian's friends and family. I would also like to pledge something towards Ian's friends out in cham just now, to have a send off. I have a mate out there who can meet with the guys to give him something on my behalf.
 kmackenzie 09 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:

Really sad news. I was out there only the other week and the news was sobering. Dont give up the sport you love because of such a tragic accident, be aware of your vaunerability but use it to enjoy life all the more, live for the moment and climb in Ians memory.

RIP mate, you will clearly be missed by many
 Yanis Nayu 09 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt: I would like to add my condolences to Ian's family and friends. I didn't know Ian, but I recognised the name from the forum and that made it seem closer to home. I can't really think of anything to say that hasn't been said on previous posts, but would echo the general sentiments expressed.
 rusty_nails 09 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:

Looking at the memorial on here, no matter what anyone says, his life has not been wasted.

Some of the pictures of Ian on his adventures are awe-inspiring!

A sad loss...
 SebCa 09 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt: Just got back from Cham, was at Les Gaillands while all this went on. A great effort by the rescue team and as someone with aviation experience a superb piece of flying by the helicopter pilot to hover as close as he did.My condolences to his family and friends.
wcdave 09 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt: Sincere condolences to all Ian's family and friends. Really sad news.

His enthusiasm for the hills he obviously loved was very inspiring, his posts on here are testament to that.
 mat098 09 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt: Shocked to hear his name on the radio yesterday. Condolences to his family and friends especially those who were with him when it happened. Tragic
 wushu 09 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt: I didn't really know ian either except for on here, but rest in peace mate.
 markfairbank 09 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:

I was shocked to hear the news yesterday, my sincere condolances.

As a fellow North East based climber i didn't know Ian personally but i had shared a crag with him afew times when i was starting out. Obviously very talented and came across really well.
Anonymous 09 Aug 2008
In reply to markfairbank:

As with the rest of the RT community, I can only offer sincere sympathies. As someone who gave his own family quite a scare through climbing, at about the same age, I realise that his loved ones will always struggle to understand why we do this thing. As a parent, I have come to wonder whether I can justify continuing to climb. What an awful loss - but never a waste of a life. He obviously did some marvellous stuff and touched a lot of people - a life well lived, however short.

Martin Jones
 Ray Sharples 09 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:
RIP Ian. Your enthusiasm was infectious and epitomised what climbing is all about. Thoughts and condolances to family & friends.
Removed User 09 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:

cant say anymore than what has been said other than heartfelt condolences to all concerned.
Franco's mum 09 Aug 2008
In reply to mat098: Up here in Cleveland and North Yorkshire we're all very saddened. Alan Hinkes spoke on the regional news last night about Ian's skill and promise. He made it quite clear that Ian was excellent, as a climber and as a friend. I have been at pains to emphasize to the non-climbing community that we are not talking about just a bunch of 'teens on holiday' but - in the spirit of Stuart Jarrett's posting - that Ian was an example of how inspiring young climbers can be. What a loss. The regional newspaper has a full tribute to Ian (Northern Echo, front page, today).

We will be helping Ian's family in any way we can, and also of course the 'youth team' with their arrangements.

Neil Cookson (plus Franco's Mum)
 victorclimber 09 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt: sounds like he was a good lad,
 laurencehicks 09 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt: Truley awfull news, Ian sounds to be a wunderfull young man who lived his life to the full, my thoughts to all who he touched.
 leeangell 09 Aug 2008
In reply to laurencehicks:
Deepest sympathy and condolences to all concerned.
Michael 09 Aug 2008
In reply to emma jackson:
I was too distraught to post anything yesterday and most of what I could post has already been said. (My son Luke is one of the group of young lads who was out there with Ian).

Ian stayed at our house in the Peak District on several occasions or popped in for a brew. He would spend hours going through my guidebooks or climbing library researching routes and ways up mountains. We spent lots of time chatting about routes late into the night and drinking wine. It was amazing that unlike most other lads of his age, Ian would be up early (7am) back into the books, drinking coffee whilst the other lads would still be in bed.

His enthusiasm for climbing and appetite for routes were truly amazing. He never had a bad word for anyone. I remember one discussion we had after there had been some negative comments about one of his “adventures” on UKC forums. Ian was humility itself, totally able to put his hands up and say he got it wrong, something extremely rare in a teenager.

Ian’s track record of ascents both in the U.K., the Dolomites and Chamonix is amazing and British climbing has certainly been robbed of one of its future stars.

Ian, I was glad to have known you.

Rest in peace mate.
Ray Daykin 09 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:
What a lovely,lovely young man Ian was. Whenever he called into the shop he was always full of beans about where he had been or where he was going, whether it was local (just up Highcliff) or over to the lakes or further afield.
He would just call in for a chat telling me of his adventures in France and New Zealand always smiling, always polite.
The last time he called in was to get some chalk for his upcoming trip to France before he settled down to his studies at a University in Wales.
'Why Wales' I asked. 'well it's really good for climbing!' he replied with his cheeky grin.
My condolences go out to his family and friends at this sad,sad time.
Ray Daykin

emily ward 09 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:
having left chamonix on thursday, this is pretty grim news to return home to... although i didn't know him, i think we were on the same bus out to cham a few weeks ago. (?) he's certainly a familiar face and i saw him about a few times after that. my thoughts are with the family and those of you still out in france emx
timcs1968 09 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt: I met Ian on the bus up the Chamonix valley 2 weeks ago at the beginning of a climbing trip. He just sat down and chatted very nonchalantly about the climbing around Aiguille d'Argentiere, including soloing the Whymper Couloir while waiting for his friends to come out and join him. Struck me as a friendly, sound, and incredibly enthusiastic climber. I envied his experience relative to his age and thought he had a fantastic climbing career ahead of him.
All my sympathies go out to his friends & family.
 Duz Walker 09 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:

Sincerest condolences to all family and friends at a time of shock at such a tragic and heartfelt loss.

Reading this thread it seems in his short years he touched many in such a positive way.

Rob Naylor 09 Aug 2008
In reply to sjbutterworth:
> A short, sympathetic article in this mornings Guardian
>
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/aug/09/france

And in the Telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2523181/Teenage-British-climber-plunges-160...

Both refreshingly free of uninformed speculation.
Roger Baldwin (CMC) 09 Aug 2008
A very sad and tragic accident.
Ian was a much thought of member of The Cleveland Mountaineering Club.
He will always be remembered for his cheerful, laid-back nature and his burning passion for climbing. He will be sadly missed.
Our deepest sympathies go to his family
 LewisDale 09 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt: Really awful news, i was shocked when i heard what happened whilst watching the news. Ive met him a few times and he was very friendly and kind as well as having impressive climbing talent, he'll be deeply missed. My thoughts are with his family at this truly tragic time.
 DNS 09 Aug 2008
I did not know Ian; but I get the impression from the many tributes above that I missed meeting a fine lad with a bright future. RIP.
 Messners Yeti 09 Aug 2008
I met him in the campsite at the Molliasses last summer. He had so much going for him, such ambition and drive. He was the most enthusiastic climber i've met. I was very envious of him, as try as i might i couldn't keep up.
He will be missed and his death is a great loss.RIP.
Pete
bomb 09 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:

Huge condolences to all his friends and family. Having lost friends to "sport" whilst abroad with them I can understand what the young lads are going through, and can only wish them all the best. It is very, very difficult. Ian sounded like a top lad, and very much psyched for his climbing, and literally there are no words.
 Chris the Tall 09 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:
Never met the guy, but it sounds like he was a throughly nice guy who simply loved climbing and loved being in the mountains

My condolences to all who knew him
 Rob15 09 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt: Sounds like an amazing guy and an amazing climber, wish i'd had a chance to meet him
R.I.P Ian
 Pete 09 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt: That is awful, especially at such a young age. I never met him, but shared several discussions on here, mainly concerning the Dolomites. His enthusiasm for climbing and zest for life shone through in every comment he made. My condolences to all who knew him. I am sure he will be sorely missed.
 DebJ 09 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:
How very sad, a young man who lived life to the full an inspiration to us all.
Sympathy to friend and family.
In reply to Fredt:

I never got the chance to meet ian, but read many of his posts on here.

He was without a doubt, an exceptional man, who touched many lives.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.

Rest in Peace Ian x

Emma x
 jas wood 09 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:
have spoken to franco today and understandably he,s devastated and upset can i ask anyone out there to keep an eye on those obviously effected by this tragic incident.

jas
 AlisonS 09 Aug 2008
I didn't know Ian, but I'm gutted by this. I want to pass on my condolences to his friends and family.
I know how awful it must be for those who were with him. It's exactly a year since my friend Rick was killed in the Alps and this is bringing it all back. Ian was much younger and no words can express the magnitude or complexity of this.
It's been so good up until now; to hear and read about Ian, Tom and Franco and their adventures, enthusiasm and talent. Wanting to encourage them. Trying to forget that things can go wrong, even though as older people we know that and have seen it all before. Now I don't know what to say. I'm so sorry.
Trevor Bentley 09 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt: Ian is my nephew, and all I can say is Ian has done so much more in his short life than I have done in mine, and I wish he could have lived a lot more years because he had so many ambitions,the only solace we have is that he died doing something he really enjoyed.
Rebecca Evans 09 Aug 2008
You have had (and will continue to have) such an impact on mine, and many other people’s lives. You inspired so many people and that’s what you are to me, an inspiration. I admire the way you found that one thing you lived to do and pursued it to the fullest.

I wish I could have witnessed you climbing, the experience looks amazing, you are unbelievably brave! No matter how many falls/mistakes you made, you never saw them as a barrier, but a reason to carry on; you carried on because you were truly devoted.

I’m glad I had you to grow up with and I’m glad I have you to set an example for me, it is one I am proud to follow. Remember when all four of us (me, you, Anthony and David) used to dress up in our army clothes and build dens up the woods. We used to take it so seriously, setting traps so no-one could go near our den. I’ll never forget all the happy memories.

You were always happy, always optimistic and that’s what made you such a fun person to be around. I’m proud to call you my cousin.

I’m not surprised god chose you to join him up there, who wouldn’t want to be in your company. As nanna said “god only takes the good ones”. You just confirmed that.

Always in my thoughts,
All my love,
Rebecca.
 SonyaD 09 Aug 2008
My thoughts go out to Ian's family just now and Franco et all. I enjoyed reading on here about your guys exploits, this is very sad.
 SuperstarDJ 10 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:

I met Ian at the end of June at Stanage, where he was easily soloing various routes that were beyond my abilities.

I chatted to him between routes found him a very likeable and down to earth young guy. I found out that he'd been taught by my friend's wife in Guisborough and looked forward to telling her that I'd met one of her 'old boys' and what an impressive young climber he was.

I felt as if I was in the presence of a 'proper' climber, someone who was doing routes that I never would and who was committed in a way that an aging bumbling punter like myself never could be. Watching him made me feel old and scared and out of my depth. But talking to him he made me feel like part of the gang, an equal.

I snapped a few pictures of him on Flying Buttress Direct with his camera, trying to lead it, taking the 'dangle of shame' and them completing the route. I envied his technical ability, his calm head, his relish for the moves and his desire to enjoy the route and not the grade.

He seemed a good guy. I liked him. I'm so sorry he's gone and I'm so sorry for his family and friends. Rest in peace Ian.

David.

the abmmc 10 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:

Been in the Outer Hebrides until today and only saw this in the paper this morning. It's had me shaken all day. I met Ian with his pal another Ian in the CMC hut in February this year. On a day of howling gales in which I could barely stand up and my dog was blown off her feet, the pair of them were going for a stroll up Sharp Edge. I was worried for them but subsequent postings on here the next day told me of their safe survival. I formed the opinion that here was a guy with massive enthusiasm as well as lots of skill.

It's a bloody shame. Of course, I can only imagine what his family and friends are going through. My thoughts are with them. RIP Ian.

Tom
 justjump 10 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:

A huge loss to the climbing community.

Best wishes to his family and friends.

Ben Cunnington, Notts.
 Piacenza27 10 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:

Tragic news to hear.

Ian, along with some of his friends in the CMC, were the first to teach me to climb outdoors, a few years back. He was always incredibly enthusiastic and never seemed disappointed to lead a Diff or VDiff (despite climbing with the others at a higher grade), so I could second it.

This Thursday, I was just flicking through the Rockfax guide to the area and noticed a photo of him climbing E3. Whilst I haven't seen him for a few years, it didn't particularly surprise me to see how he has progressed I am still happy on Severes!

Taking up a hobby at such a late stage, he was an inspiration (being younger than me) that egos could be set aside and the sport could be enjoyed for the routes and the outdoors, irrespective of ability.

A sunny morning at Scugdale today was a good reminder of my beginnings.

Thanks Ian,

Fred Parkes
 Rob Askew 10 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:
Ive known Ian since secondary school, When he wore his jam jar glasses. He introduced me to climbing at our school and even then had great enthusiasm for the sport. Soon after we bought our first rope and a set of old nuts and stole some carabiners from school (we gave them back) and set off to Highcliffe crag. After vigourous top roping sessions we started leading and our climbing blossomed.

We learned from our mistakes early on, for example the lakes is not often sunny no matter how much you will it and the last day is always best. We met Luke Hunt in college and he took us to the dolomites Ian and Luke climbing the Rosengarten Spitze me and ben sitting this one out =). They sat out a huge storm at the top me and ben quivered in our tents, they arrived finally at 1am.

Ian has always been the bravest of us, often being the first to lead we looked up to him, I was often jealous of how easy he made things look. Except on slabs on which he made it clear how much he hated them "I hate slabs" often being shouted down and this became his method of coaxing me up climbs "go on i cant do slabs, you love them" "shut up! im climbing!" i often replied =) even this fear he soon conquered.

In 2008 we visited cham for the first time, the first day we saw...clouds and rain and a bit of lightning. the next morning gave us our first glimpse of the auguille du midi. we plodded around in the snow a bit near the petite verte, ian far more competent than me (i had only climbed snow once before) and ian slid down shocking some french climbers and i plodded after him. the next morning we were up at 6ish cought the earliest lift up and climbed the frendo spur, ian showing no fear and pushing me up the last few hundred metres (I hadnt eaten my mars bars) Ian stormed up the last pitches me in tow. However if it hadnt been for my really good impression of a really tired person looking like they wanted nothing mre than to lay down and die we may never hav got wine and food in the cable car station =).

Last year i never climbed with him much, finding excuses not to go but secretly scared. I took a few months out of climbing and i feel i held him back, he often never had a climbing partner but he always believed in me even when i didnt. I'll never forget all the times we had together Ive done my best climbs with him i hope he thinks the same of me. I still think i can just ring him up and say 'Ian your photo's in the news =)'. He was my best friend and he will always be missed I hope a little bit of him can always live in us. Theres so much more to say but its difficult to find words Im sorry Ian that i didnt climb with you more and im sorry i never went to Chamonix. I will always value the memories.

Rob
gaynor 10 Aug 2008
In reply to Emma Jackson:

I took Ian to the Dolomites when he was 16 with my son Luke and friends
I was priveledged to have spent three weeks with such a lovely selfless lad.He was an example for us all to follow.He was always willing to help out and poured oil on troubled waters.

It would be just great if next years Lakes Festival could be an Ian Jackson memorial. I am starting an Ian Jackson Memorial fund here in Guisborough and hope to put up a bench above his home at High cliffe
I saw his mother yesterday and she said they are thinking of scattering his ashes up there at a place he loved.

Thank you for every ones thoughts and condolances .He was a truely outstanding lad
Please can anyone in Chamonix look out for the lads

Gaynor (Ians friend)

In reply to robeverybody: That was beautifully expressed Rob. Its good to know he knew people like yourself.

Im truly touched.

Kind Regards

Guy
Aunty Jackie & Uncle Mike 10 Aug 2008
Thank you all for your kind words . Ian was a lovely lad, with not a bad word to say about anyone, always smiling and happy go lucky. going back to his childhood climbing was in his blood, He would come round with David to play with Anthony and Rebecca all dressed in army clothes ready for their next mission up in the Guisborough woods climbing trees, making dens, then coming home to empty my tins as he loved home baking. I could go on for ever with stories but for now Ian I am going to be that nagging aunt and say don’t you be pestering god for more and more bigger clouds just so you can get that ultimate climb. Hope you find some good crags and not so many slabs x x .

You will always be in our thoughts
Love always
Aunty Jackie & Uncle Mike X
 kevin k 10 Aug 2008
In reply to emma jackson: as with everyone else, you have my sympathies, may he rest in peace.
i belive he is the sort of man who the climbing comuntiy will miss greatly.

Kev

Bogsy 10 Aug 2008
In reply to all:
What a terrible loss of such a wonderful person at such a tender age.

The testimonies on here are, what I imagine we all would wish for at the end of our lives.
R.I.P Ian & condolences to all that feel the loss of this guy
Bill
 nz Cragrat 10 Aug 2008

> We did the Cordier Pillar together last week. Ian stormed up the route putting my fittness to shame. When the ropes got jammed on the descent Ian prussiked up like a machine, with that cheeky grin he always wore. No blame was given to me, even though it was my fault they jammed.
>
> Ian was clearly very driven and I have no doubt that in five years time he would have been one of the`leading lights of British climbing.
>
> I have no bad memories or words to say about Ian.
>
> A lot of wine was drunk last night in his memory.
>

Sorry to hear that Tom (Ripley)

Unfortunately it reminded me of a similar thing that happened at the same crag when I was on my first trip there in 1986. Someone fell the length of the crag and wrapped themselves around a block - I heard they died the next day in hospital.It was worse because one of the watching tourists came over with their video camera and was filming the attempts to help the victim.

As for the risk. ... You need to make that choice, and I think if you manage the risks you can - and it seems you have the skills you will likely last a long time. You can't really manage some things in the hills any more than you can manage that drunk driver coming the other way on the road.

I started climbing in the Mountains in country with a small climbing community and was involved in Mountain Rescue so it was quite usual for me to know almost everyone who died in the NZ mountains and the NZ Alpine Club obits section was seldom empty of friends or acquaintances. It is hard to deal with. I don't mountaineer much these days after a close call made me reappraise why I was climbing in the first place - and I found I had been drawn into the "hard climbs vortex" rather than my original reasons to get to beautiful places and take pictures. You don't need to stop, you just need to remember.
 Flying Monkey 10 Aug 2008
In reply to all:
Sincere condolences. From what I've read Ian was a talented young climber and a respected and well liked bloke. A terrible loss. My thoughts go to his family and all his friends.
 kevin k 10 Aug 2008
In reply to Fawksey: it just goes to show, that it does not matter how go a climber you are, or how carefull, a simple mistake can be costly, with the passion of climbing comes a calcuated risk of injury or death, we must make our own minds up if the risk is worth it.
i myself have had the feeling that sometimes its not worth the risk, and sometimes, it is.
Franco & Tom etc- i hope you are all keeping your chins up and are not too downhearted ( a silly notion i know)
have a drink and a toast from me, and try and remember why you are in cham, and not let this tragedy ruin your passion for the hills.

Kev
 LakesWinter 10 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt: I'm gutted that it happened, sincere condolences to all Ian's family and friends.
 Panda 10 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt: I have read through this thread several times, each time being brought to tears. I did not know Ian, but like many have said, I think I have missed out. It has been moving to read how many lives Ian had touched. My thoughts are with his family and friends, particularly those who were present, feeling helpless, as this all happened.

I am sure that Ian is aware of all our thoughts and I smiled when I read his aunt's comments about Ian pestering god for bigger clouds to climb. That is an image to retain! I have a feeling there might be quite a good climbing community up there!

Best wishes to all affected by this loss. xx
 IanJackson 10 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt: Hi, I Am Ian's Mum. I am much grateful for all of your kind messages. Ian was doing something that he loved, and I never could have stopped him from climbing. He was a wonderful boy and I will miss him deeply.
Angela Jackson
 sutty 10 Aug 2008
In reply to Angela Jackson:

Sorry I could not say more in my earlier posting, I was lost for words, stunned that someone who seemed the stabilising influence of the moors lads should die that way.

Other friends I have lost have been the same, the last person you would think would go get killed protecting others.

Nearly 50 years ago, another lad called Bob Jackson got killed in the alps, someone I had taught and I decided then not to teach anyone else and bring heartache to other parents. Later I realised that they would still climb so now I encourage, but try to instill some safety into their climbing.

Reading all this, I hope it shows that he was well thought of and liked by all who met him. A fine obituary testament.
philnorv 11 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:
Unbelievably sad news. He was such a driven and passionate climber, and was such a positive influence on those around him.
Lez Lloyd 11 Aug 2008
A great sadness has engulfed us all here in Australia with the news if Ian’s tragic and untimely passing. We are all in awe of Ian’s short yet “lived” life. For such a young person to have made an impact on so many is testament to a life truly embraced. They say greatness shows itself in many forms-this time it showed itself in Ian.

Walk on sunshine Ian

With all our love, forever in our hearts

Lez, Brett, Michael, Andrew, Kate, Richard and Tanisha
 Skyfall 11 Aug 2008
I am planning to go out this weekend coming on my own and if anyone out there wants to meet up, give me a shout
Removed User 11 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:

So sorry for this news. Condolences to friends and family.
Lez Lloyd 11 Aug 2008
Treasured memories of our dear and cherished nephew Ian

Aunty Irene and Uncle Geoff

xoxo
 Postmanpat 11 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:

I never met Ian but was always struck in his posts not only by his talent and enthusiasm for climbing but his common sense and maturity.
I remember being really impressed when I discovered his age.

My condolences to his family and his friends.

Mike Hosted 11 Aug 2008
In reply to IanJackson:Ian visted us in New Zealand last year it was a pleasure to have him stay with us he did you proud. I would like to send our sincere condolences from our family to you all.
 chassy 11 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:

I never knew Ian in person, only here on the forums. I was so shocked and shaken to hear his name in the news...I dont know what else to say except that he is an inspiration to me and he will be clearly missed by the climbing community. My deepest condolences to all his family and friends, I'm so sorry x
Peter Killick 11 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt: My Son, Jake died climbing at Symonds Yat almost three years ago. My sincere condolances to Ians family and friends at yet another climbing tragedy. I share your grief and will be thinking of you.
BE DOUBLY SAFE climbers everywhere. Peter Killick.
Peter Killick 11 Aug 2008
In reply to IanJackson:
> (In reply to Fredt) Hi, I Am Ian's Mum. I am much grateful for all of your kind messages. Ian was doing something that he loved, and I never could have stopped him from climbing. He was a wonderful boy and I will miss him deeply.
> Angela Jackson

Dear Angela, it is no consolation to you to know there are others who have experience of your tragedy, my son Jake died at Symonds Yat while climbing three years ago. My thoughts and condolances, Peter.
In reply to Peter Killick: thanks to everyone for their kind words. We're ok here and have since done another route up in the Cham aguilles, but i am intending on returning to england at the end of this week.

My thoughts are still with Ian's family and rob.
emma jackson 11 Aug 2008
In reply to Franco Cookson:
I'm so glad you have carried on with another climb Ian would be so proud. I spoke to your mum this morning Franco which was really comforting. enjoy the rest of your week and take care.
I hope to catch up with all you boys on your return to hear some happy stories of Ian.
 punter 11 Aug 2008
I was very sorry to hear about this. He was too young. My thoughts go to his family.
Jacqui Payne 11 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:Our thoughts and prayers go to David and Angela, Emma, Sarah, David and Simon and families, at this sorrowful time. You nurtured Ian into becoming an adventurous, life loving person, whose bubbly and funloving personality touched so many lives. You should be very proud of the person you made him. Cherish the memories of that big beautiful smile. Ian will be forever in our hearts.
With Love from your cousin Jacqui, Rob, Melinda, Justin, Abi, Nick, Sandrene, Isabelle, Matthew and Kimmy.
GregGrace 11 Aug 2008
I had the pleasure of meeting Ian on Ben Nevis this Easter, and bumped into him again at the Couvercle Hut, and my climbing partner and I climbed the Aiguille Verte alongside him about 3 weeks ago.

Ian was a great person to be around, and was one of the most modest and down-to-earth mountaineers I have ever met. He was extremely competent and had a great sense of adventure which rubbed off on everyone he talked to.

Rest in peace mate, my thoughts are with your family and friends.
 climbingpixie 12 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:

Sad and shocking to hear about Ian's death. We raised a glass or two for him on Friday night. I met him at the Lakes festival and he seemed such a sound and enthusiastic guy, the same as he came across on here. Can't look at Tom's pictures without crying. My deepest sympathies are with his family and friends.
This is such sad news. My deepest sympathies to his friends and family.
pwhiteside 12 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:

Came back from sport climbing in France myself yesterday and was shocked and saddened to hear the news. My deepest sympathies to his family, friends and all that knew him. He seemed a fantastic guy and an incredible climber.

Paul.
 MttSnr 12 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:

I read about this in the paper last week and didn't realise it was someone from the forums. Its strange, I've never met Ian, but I've read his posts on here, and it feels very much like we've lost one of our own.

Deepest condolences to his family and friends; its such a terrible loss of a young life.
 Guy 12 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt: My thoughts go out to Ian's family, friends and to all the lads who were out there with him.

To Ian, I congratulate you on infecting so many people with your enthusiasm, a rare gift.
 GarethSL 12 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt: Deepest condolences to his family and friends.

I'm in awe of the response on here, it shows just how much his contribution to the climbing world will be sorely missed.
 Mike Hartley 12 Aug 2008
Deepest condolences to your friends and family Ian, you were a good guy, one of the few genuine good guys left in the world. I used to have some good chats with you on MSN about climbing and your enternal enthusiasm and optimism for the sport was something I could never match. You're an inspiration to climbers, and people in general everywhere and there will be a huge whole left in everyones lives without you here to fill it.

Rest In Peace mate, you deserve that at the very least.

Yrmenlaf 12 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:

Can I add my condolences?

I never knew him face to face, but on line he seemed a great bloke.

My thoughts and prayers are with his friends and family.

Y.
 beardy mike 12 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt: Only just seen this as normally I don't click on links about this sort of thing. It is such a shame - after the Ben debacle I exchanged a few e-mails with Ian and he seemed an absolute sterling bloke - down to earth, enjoying life, new experiences and the company of is awesomely over enthusiastic mates! To all his family and friends - when you feel sad about him, think of his cheeky grin and hopefully you will feel his spirit with you whereever you go.
claire watson 12 Aug 2008
you were always smiling i rememeber the days you went to the woods and came back black as the ace of spades. i will miss your tap on my shoulder when you met me in the street and said hello. i just cant believe i wont see your lovely cheeky face with that lovely smile.
we will miss you Aunty Joan Uncle Bill and Family, Rita, Mike & family & Claire XXXX
Our love and thoughts are with all the family
 IanJackson 12 Aug 2008
In reply to JonC:
are you from sailsbury
 IanJackson 12 Aug 2008
In reply to Jacqui Payne:
thanks for the lovely flowers and thoughts i have been over whelmed by the people ian knew it has been a big comfort even though the truth hasn't made me believe he wont be coming back he was a lovely son who i loved deeply as well as my other children i thank every body for there support no words can say any more i will miss him so much and it hasn't sunk in yet love you all
In reply to IanJackson:

The Rowan Tree

Though I cannot lie down with you
I will lay beneath the rowan tree
that protector against unseen harms.

and though I cannot smell the scent of your hair
I will breathe deep the perfume of the heather
and it shall be my pillow.

Though there is no sound of our voices
I will hear the running stream
as it journeys to the sea.

and though I cannot feel your touch
I will rest embraced upon the soft mosses
and the sun shall be your smile.

Fawksey

IanJackson 13 Aug 2008
In reply to Fawksey: Ian was a very comforting and enthusiactic brother who always looked out for me,I just remeber the good old memories of me and him having a unreal time on holidays ,he would always get a nice tan and i wud be jelous because i just burn =[ not only that though he was always going snorkerling with me and doing crazy things like free diving to very deep depths and he taught me how to control my breathing and pressure points.
Ive recently looked into his climbing and its very moving for me as i never knew he was that famous and obsessed with such a dangerous sport,i suppose it was the adrenalin rushes he got from it though.
I am currently making a memorial cabnet with his main climbing gear in and a quality picture of him in the alps,Ian is going to be greatly missed and i am thankfull for all these comments which have been sent.
 anansie 13 Aug 2008
In reply to IanJackson:

I feel this lovely young man shall be in our thoughts for a good long while yet. My heart truelly goes out to you and your family. You had an amazing boy who lived so much in those 19 years! My deepest sympathies.
 Andy Fielding 13 Aug 2008
In reply to IanJackson:

I didn't know Ian and I never met him but from what I've read in this thread he was a decent guy and one that will be missed. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

Andy
 chris fox 13 Aug 2008

I also never met Ian, and didn't know him. A few months ago i was involved in a similar situation but to a slightly lesser degree (many will remember the Millstones accident) So, i understand where Franco and the other's are at, at this point.

It's a shitty situation for all involved.

It matters not how long you live but how you live, only the rocks live forever.
Rosie A 13 Aug 2008
In reply to Ian's Mum:

Your love for Ian was evident in the way he conducted himself, in his self-confidence and in his respect for others. There's no greater testament to the strength and love of a family. People like Ian are rare, and they touch everyone around them. As a mother I can only imagine what you're going though and my heart goes out to you all.
 Adam1973 13 Aug 2008
In reply to IanJackson: Ian was a great friend, and I wish I had the ability to express in word how much of a pleasure it was to both know and climb with him. He was a remarkable young man in many ways, and I have nothing but admiration for the way he lived his life.

My heart goes out to his Family.

Ian you will never be forgotten, rest in peace mate.

Adam
 Mark F 13 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:

I just returned from holiday to hear this terribly sad news which has shocked me deeply. I didn't know Ian personally, only from his posts on UKC, but he came across as a nice, sensible lad, lacking ego, and very mature for his years. The tributes on here are testament to the fact that the climbing community has lost one of its best.

My sincere condolances and best wishes to Ian's family and friends who must be suffering terribly right now.

Mark
donna 13 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt: I worked with Ian and you could always tell when he was due to go off climbing because he got this happy bounce in his walk,big grin on his face and a continious itch just for the shift to be over so he could set off. I will remeber that always, sending my love and thoughts to all the family, Donna xXx
Ian will be greatly missed and never forgotten
 Fidget 14 Aug 2008
In reply to Franco's mum:

Just to reiterate my condolences, which Cara posted on our behalf before as we were away in Scotland.

> We will be helping Ian's family in any way we can, and also of course the 'youth team' with their arrangements

If I can help, I'd be more than happy to. I met you last month at your house and on the crag, with my parents too.

I think it's lovely that UKC has allowed Ian's family and friends to post their thoughts and share their memories, in the same places as the contributions from Ian's fellow climbers and online acquaintances.
In reply to Stuart Jarrett:
> (In reply to Franco Cookson) Franco - I'm sure you're having a pretty rough time out there at the moment. In my roles as both a fellow Cleveland climber and as one of your ex-teachers, I want to let you know I'm thinking about you and hope you are all looking after each other.
>
> To me - and I doubt if I'm alone in this - Ian was a breath of fresh air on the climbing scene; particularly of note were his boundless enthusiasm and his ability to relate to fellow-climbers of all ages, from 15-70+
>
> As a - dare I say it? - middle-aged climber and a jaded school-teacher, Ian did a lot to restore my faith in British youth.
>
> I hope that you and Dave W. will carry on as you were doing - aiming high and living life to the full.
> Stuart Jarrett

cheers Stuart.
 Skyfall 15 Aug 2008
In reply to IanJackson:
> (In reply to JonC)
> are you from sailsbury

No, Midlands. And I didn't know Ian I would hasten to add. I just "know" him from UKC and have a shared love of the things he did and the places he went to and, very sadly, was climbing at the crag at which he died a short while beforehand.

I think this shows one of the great things about climbing; it is a true brother/sisterhood which binds us all together. It draws us into climbing, we draw upon it for motivation, and it allows you to end your time as a climber in the way you would wish.

Though I did not know him personally, Ian has been in my thoughts this last couple of weeks. Strangely perhaps, I am planning to go out again in a few weeks largely because of this. RIP Ian.
anthonyecc 15 Aug 2008
In reply to Franco Cookson: We're ok here and have since done another route up in the Cham aguilles,
> My thoughts are still with Ian's family and rob.

Thats the Spirit dude. Keep safe.
 Skyfall 15 Aug 2008
In reply to Franco and team:

Took me ages to get over the death of my big sis and all I would say is do whatever works for you. You will be so up and down about it and unsure about what is right and wrong. My advice is go with what you feel is right for you but, if you want, keep talking to people about it even if they seem unable or unsure about discussing it themselves. If you simply bottle it up it may take years to get to grips with. Good luck.
Franco's mum 16 Aug 2008
Ian's funeral will be on Thursday 21 August at St Nicholas church, Guisborough, at midday, followed by cremation and then a celebration of Ian's life at the Guisborough cricket club. Emma, Ian's sister, sent the message that all are welcome, and to spread the word.

I have been very moved this week by reading the tributes to Ian on UKC. I'm also so grateful to everyone who send supportive and sympathetic messages, and offered practical help, to the boys in Chamonix.

Relieved to report that Franco has just arrived home.

Gill
(F's mum)
 Fidget 16 Aug 2008
In reply to JonC:

> You will be so up and down about it and unsure about what is right and wrong.

That's a good way of putting it. I lost a friend in 2006 and all these unexpected feelings kept popping into my head. A lot of them were almost cliched, and you feel alternately silly, then rebel with 'but I'm allowed to grieve' and I'd have a little conversation with myself about each thought.
 Trangia 16 Aug 2008
In reply to cider nut:

You never 'get over' a tragedy like this, but the old cliche that 'time is a great healer' is so true. Over the last 40 or so years I've lost too many good friends in mountaineering/climbing accidents and every time the shock and grief is terrible, but you learn to accept it and eventually adapt as life goes on. It isn't easy, and even as I type this tears come into my eyes, but the greatest thing they leave with you is the gift of having known them, the enrichment to your life and the joy their friendship gave to you. Ultimately we all have die, it's the price we pay for life. Its so tragic when it happens to someone so young, but then, they are always young in our memories, and when you recall the good times, the laughter, and even their bad and irritating traits with a smile, the healing process has begun.

I reiterate my previous condolences to those who knew and loved Ian.
 omerta 16 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:

Am so sorry to hear about Ian's death; a real tragedy. My thoughts go out to his family and friends
 Rob Askew 16 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt: Ians funeral is at 12.00 this thursday the 21st, anyone is welcome to pay their respects
In reply to Fredt:

I've only just heard about this as I've been away. I can't say anything more than has been said above as I didn't know Ian personally. He was a very familiar name on here though and will be greatly missed.

Condolances to all those involved.

Rich
 Conf#2 16 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt: Truly heartbreaking news. I have never met Ian but through others I know of him. It is a marval to realise how many lives are touched by this magnificant one.
Like so many others, my thoughts are with those who will miss him most.

Rachel
 AJM 17 Aug 2008
In reply to sutty:

Never (knowingly, although the person asking whether someone is from Salisbury has me puzzled since there aren't that many climbers there) met him, but he did seem to have his head screwed on and came across as a sound lad. As you say, came across as the most sensible of that bunch.

There but for the grace of god and all that....... really does make you think that its so often a matter of luck and bad luck, rather than experience or lack of.

Condolences,

AJM
Bishop0151 17 Aug 2008
In reply to Fredt:

Condolences to his family and all his friends, especially those who were with him.
 Spade 19 Aug 2008
Bumped into you lads in the campsite at Les Chosalets - I was really sorry to hear the news. I had a friend Giles (from Sheffield) who died when aged 19 on a trip to Zermatt in 2002 in not dissimilar circumstances. My sympathies to his family and you all.
Andrew Donaldson 19 Aug 2008
In reply to Rebecca Evans: You couldn't have said it better. I hope you're alright, please take care of yourself, and David for the matter, I've seen him lately and I'ts so sad to see him in the way he is. Look out for one another and please take care.
 IanJackson 19 Aug 2008
In reply to Franco Cookson: fran i am ians mum you have met me ,ian lived for climbing and i never could of stopped him as you know it was what he lived for even when he crushed his hand at fort william it was how quick he could get out there again. I dont know.
what I will do without him but he died doing something he loved. I just wish he could of achieved all the things he wanted to but i guess that is fate. I realise he had such good friends and I am proud of him even if he has left a big hole in my heart , he was doing something he loved and having a good time please keep in touch .
lots of love ( ians mum) angela
In reply to Fredt:

met ian at les chosalets along with all the other lads, its very hard to imagine someone so fit and motivated has passed away.

an absolute terrible shame.
 jas wood 21 Aug 2008
In reply to andrew sandercock:
for all people concerned the funeral serivice was held today and it was as you would imagine busy and with a few tearful eyes but was an excellent service and a great talk from chris woodall.

rest in peace

jas
 Messners Yeti 21 Aug 2008
It was a beautiful service and the crowds were a testament to Ian's friendly, outgoing nature. the music sent shivers down my spine. Its always going to be associated with Ian now.
Pete
 dunc p 27 Aug 2008
Terrible news, truly sorry. I met Ian on the coach to Chamonix and couldn't have found a better travelling companion.
emma jackson 27 Aug 2008
Ian's Ashes will be scattered on Monday 1st on High Cliff Nabb at 7pm. Home is where the heart is, no matter how far we travel. Ian will live on in Heaven.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...