UKC

Midges invading my garden

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 3leggeddog 08 Aug 2008
Ive just laid 3 tonnes of top soil and seeded it as a lawn. However, the top soil is riddled with midges and making the garden very unpleasant. Can anyone recommend an insecticide which:
can be applied to soil
will not harm the grass seed
is dog safe

I dont want to buy a midge hoover thingy, they are too pricey at the mo'

I would be interested in a small portable (camping gas size) midge hoover if one is available
 Richard Carter 08 Aug 2008
In reply to 3leggeddog:

Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.
Jason123 08 Aug 2008
In reply to 3leggeddog

A house brick should kill a midge instantly, you can reuse the house brick as well. No need to buy another.
In reply to Jason123:

Are you using the brick to hit the midgie in the air or on the ground?

I can see how it is possible to kill it when it is on the ground with one brick but midgies in flight require 2 bricks to be brought violently together with the target midgie in between thus killing the midgie.

With practice this can be done without trapping your thumbs between the bricks.
In reply to 3leggeddog: you need a squadron of trained bats
OP 3leggeddog 09 Aug 2008
In reply to all

Thanks (i think) for your helpful input so far. We do have a fair bat population and they are doing their bit.

I really want to nip this in the bud before the midges colonise the whole garden and I get my little bit of western highlands here in cumbria. So insecticides, which one? I dont think ddt is available anymore, I want to keep my bats.
In reply to 3leggeddog: http: Sorry I can't be of any actual help. You might try asking around on these flora-related forums (fora?): //www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...