UKC

Climbing North West Germany?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 madmats 10 Aug 2008
Possibly moving to Osnabruck in the North West of Germany next year. One major thing holding me back is the fear of having nowhere to climb nearby. Currently live in Sheffield and have been spoilt by the wealth of quality, accessible crags and partners available for evenings and weekends and would really miss getting out regularly.

I know the local climbing area is called Dörenther Klippen and is hard sandstone, but just wondering if anyone has climbed here and could offer an opinion? Or if you know anyone who lives in that region and would be up for some climbing?
Thanks
Matt
 John Ww 10 Aug 2008
In reply to madmats: The nearest areas that I know of will be either the Okertal (near Goslar), the Ith (near Einbeck) or the Harz - all about 90 mins plus-ish to the ESE of Osnabruck. They're all good areas, with a mixture of limestone, grit-like sandstone and granite, some bolted, some trad.Best guidebooks would be Klettern im Norden (for the Ith area)or Wo die Felsnasen schnarchen (for the Okertal). Hope this helps, cheers, JW
OP madmats 10 Aug 2008
In reply to John Ww:

Thanks mate. I've heard of these areas and will look further into them, they're a bit far for convenience sake though.
The nearest climbing is in the Dörenther Klippen, about 15k from Osnabruck, but is partially restricted so I hear, was wondering if anyone's climbed hear really?
Waldmeister 11 Aug 2008
In reply to madmats: It is a really small area with a lot of restrictions. It is ok for some short after work trips, but it will not keep you busy for very long. The other areas (Ith: limestone, bolted + trad ~ 3000 routes, Harz, granite, bolted + trad, ~2000 routes + massive bouldering) are much better, but need a longer drive.
OP madmats 11 Aug 2008
In reply to Waldmeister:

Thanks for that mate. At least I now know there is some climbing there at least if I do take the plunge and move over. I'll have to get a guide or look on line to find some more info on Ith and Harz, but they both sound lke pretty decent areas.
Cheers
 dalai 12 Aug 2008
In reply to madmats:

Ith and Harz details including some online topos for both bouldering and routes.

http://www.kletternimnorden.de/

I've spent a week back in 97 at Lüerdissen at the start of a trip through to France after visiting relatives in Germany.

Pleasant campsite which is easy walking distance to the climbs. Nothing too hard with routes, but enough to keep you busy for a bit... Bouldering, especially at Biwakwand offers problems up to Font 8A+

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...