UKC

PREVIEW: Climb Magazine - the September issue

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 13 Aug 2008
Check out what's in the September issue of Climb Magazine.

Including: Steve McClure on Rhapsody, Nick Dixon's Stomping Ground, Nesscliffe and the Welsh Borders, Nick Bullock on the Droites, Rock Shoe reviews, spotlighting the Westway Wall, and a lot more in the UK's biggest climbing magazine.

PLUS Mountain Info

Full details, plus a subscription offer for readers of UKClimbing.com and a chance to win one of 15 pairs of Teva Mountain Scuff's RRP £50.

Read more: http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=1209
 Jon Read 13 Aug 2008
In reply to UKC News:
Now that IS a great cover shot!
BamBam 13 Aug 2008
In reply to Jon Read:

Yeah!.. Would be even better with the correct name of the photographer!

http://www.sonnietrotter.com/roadlife.php
 Jon Read 13 Aug 2008
In reply to BamBam: Eh? I'm on about the one with Nick Doxon at Nesscliff (photo by Ian Parnell I presume). What are you on about?
In reply to Jon Read: The previous edition.
 Jon Read 13 Aug 2008
In reply to Jon Read:
Correction:: Nick Dixon, of course. my fingers were all in a flurry.
 Michael Ryan 13 Aug 2008
In reply to grumpybearpantsclimbinggoat:
> (In reply to Jon Read) The previous edition.

Huge rant about the climbing media from Mr. Trotter there, assisted by Mr. Thesunga ex-editor of Climbing magazine.

I'm sure Mr. Trotter realises that he, like many climbers, are in fact the media as well these days.

What a complex web of intrigue he does weave!

tony 13 Aug 2008
In reply to UKC News:

Does the new edition feature a grovelling apology from the editor for getting Cory's name wrong? And if not, why not?
 Mike Stretford 13 Aug 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:
> (In reply to grumpybearpantsclimbinggoat)
> [...]
>

>
> What a complex web of intrigue he does weave!

Tosh! He's having a go at Climb for basic slackness.

> (In reply to grumpybearpantsclimbinggoat)
> [...]
>
> Huge rant about the climbing media from Mr. Trotter there, assisted by Mr. Thesunga ex-editor of Climbing magazine.
>
> I'm sure Mr. Trotter realises that he, like many climbers, are in fact the media as well these days.
>
> What a complex web of intrigue he does weave!

He's really Peter Parker? No wonder he climbs so well.

Yes he's part of it with his blog etc although that is slightly different in as much as it is a biased diary?
 TRNovice 13 Aug 2008
In reply to BamBam:

Typos in the British climbing media - how shocking!
 Michael Ryan 13 Aug 2008
In reply to Papillon:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
> [...]
>
> [...]
>
> Tosh! He's having a go at Climb for basic slackness.

If you haven't read the whole entry. It is a little bigger than that.

"This week, FIVE TEN hosted a very intersting meeting of the minds. It was a continued education program for their athletes and the conference room was packed, from David Graham to Alex Johnson. Famous climber Lynn Hill, Photographer Jimmy Chin and Pyromaniac Jonathan Thesenga were all part of this first time ever event and coached us and inspired us to take on the world, and quite frankly it was a huge success. Thanks to Charles Cole, Nancy Prichard, Tim O'Brian, Isaac Tait and everyone at Five Ten for making this happen.

One of the themes that really struck a chord with athletes, was JT's presentation about getting hosed by the media, or rather, how NOT to get hosed. You see the media are a sly bunch of foxes, always trying to get the very best most interesting and exciting hook. If you give them an inch they will take as many miles as legally possible, sometimes more. So the first lesson was "DO NOT GET HOSED" by the media. A tricky thing and an art all by itself.

However, please don't misunderstand me, I love the MEDIA. I love them. They help to keep me inspired for the rocks, they print words from writers I would otherwise never read, pictures I may never see and they do a great job with advertising new products and giving credit where credit is due, I love the media. But this is not about me or how good of a job they are doing, it's about you, and not getting hosed by the media yo, if you can help it that is."

Tom Briggs 13 Aug 2008
In reply to TRNovice:
> (In reply to BamBam)
>
> Typos in the British climbing media - how shocking!

They got the cover right - Cory Richards. But the 4 full-page images inside are credited to Cory Rich.

Great cover shot. I'm sure someone mentioned this before
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=307150&v=1#x4539781
Though they've cropped it more than Mountain would have...
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Here's the 2 bits you missied out of your cut and paste

"A tricky thing and an art all by itself. I raise this issue now, because aparantly this CLIMB cover photo (ABOVE) does not belong to the photographer who snapped it, Mr.Cory Richards, but the credit now belongs to Cory Rich, another talented photographer from the U.S. who is or never was anywhere close to Dumbarton. You may think this is an honest mistake, and it is, but it's also very weak. It's sort of the same if you climb the first free ascent of (an all natural) route that you tried really-really hard to nail, then after some minor internal bleeding and five rolls of finger tape you nabbed it, everyone celebrates and the sponsors, the money, the media and the guide books gave all the credit to some Joe Brooks. U got HOSED dude. What you may get if you raise a huge stink about it, is a tiny blurb in the "corrections" section, but you'll surely require a magnifying glass to read it and it'll be months down the road, thanks but no thanks. I say we need to raise some hell, I mean if you're a Zen master with no ego at all then please disregard this post, but if you ever got ripped off, truly, just because someone failed to do any homework, I say raise a fuss and make them make it right. They owe you. Damn it, you worked hard for that. They are using their power to humiliate you (intentionally or unintentionally) either way it is UNCOOL."

Then at the end

"So in closing, this entry is dedicated to all those photographers out there who don't get enough credit and to Cory Richards for being in the right place at the right time for this cover. Cheers."

The only rant is over the photo credit issue, the FIVE TEN bit isn't a rant.
 Michael Ryan 13 Aug 2008
In reply to Papillon:

He's using that as an example.

Mr. Trotter is well known for many rants on the climbing media, and very entertaining they are too.

Like I said before, these days all of us are the climbing media or have the potential to be.

The climbing media, like most media, is in a state of transition.

Hence my comment about a web of intrigue. It is hardly a black and white issue, there's all kinds of overlapping issues that need to be addressed but probably won't be.

Issues such as accuracy, payment, story emphasis, use of images, protocol, advitorial, the line between editorial and advertising, frequency, merging paper and web, costs, circulation.

See this post for one small example: http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=315685

It goes beyond a wrong credit for a photograph, although that is important of course.

Mick

'You can pick up the September issue of Climb in all major Tesco stores'

Nothing like supporting the climbing shops is there!!
 Michael Ryan 13 Aug 2008
In reply to yesbutnobutyesbut:
>
> 'You can pick up the September issue of Climb in all major Tesco stores'
>
>
> Nothing like supporting the climbing shops is there!!

They do. Climb is available in climbing shops.

Like I've said above the climbing media is in a state of transition, not just in the UK.

Your readership, contributors and advertising are what keep the media alive. You have to do what you can or go bust.

In the USA at least, and in the UK, the print climbing media have had to shed staff and become leaner and more efficient - getting on most newsstands in the USA is nigh impossible unless you have a high circulation - and it is crucial for a magazines survival.

GrahamD 13 Aug 2008
In reply to UKC News:

This isn't news, its an advert.
 TobyA 13 Aug 2008

> It goes beyond a wrong credit for a photograph, although that is important of course.
>
> Mick

Those are all points, but this issue is simpler. Every month there are basic typos, spelling and grammar mistakes in Climb. I'm sure calling Richards "Rich" was a simple cock up. But the copy editing is Climb is problematic and has been for years. They simply don't proof their copy before printing.

I proof read stuff for my work and I'd get in trouble if I regularly made the simple mistakes Climb makes.

I prefer Climb to Climber currently, but Climber doesn't have the same simple mistakes in its copy.
 Tom Briggs 13 Aug 2008
> (In reply to UKC News)
>
> This isn't news, its an advert.

Maybe that's why the thread title is PREVIEW and not NEWS?!
 Michael Ryan 13 Aug 2008
In reply to GrahamD:
> (In reply to UKC News)
>
> This isn't news, its an advert.

That's correct Graham. Climb magazine advertise at UKClimbing.com. Banners, premier posts and each month this preview.

They help support UKClimbing.com and our reading, posting and viewing pleasure.

In reply to Tom Briggs: Checkout who started the thread.

I'd say it was the other way round!

Climbing shops support them by advertising in and stocking the magazine.

All magazines including climb push heavily for subscribers as it means they cut out any percentage that the stockists get. As you know they sell it cheaper to subscribers than the off the shelf price but not as cheaply as they would have to sell it to a retailer.

Climb should be encouraging (sp) people into climbing shops as they are potential advertisers for the magazine. Are Tescos going to advertise there?

UKC actively pushes its readership towards the shops that advertise with you, surely it would make sense for climb to do the same.
 Michael Ryan 13 Aug 2008
In reply to TobyA:
>
> [...]
>
> Those are all points, but this issue is simpler.

Too right Toby, be great if we could all employ a copy editor.

Working in the media these days you have to be multi-skilled.....editing, copy editing, Photoshop work, InDesign layout, basic html skills, public relations, promotion, have your eye on the commercial aspects of editorial, news gathering, video, ........etc.....

No longer the days when you did just one thing.

On top of all that everyone can comment on your efforts.

I'm not complaining mind!
 TRNovice 13 Aug 2008
In reply to Tom Briggs:

Sampled from a typical article in the British climbing press: -

"F15: Steffan McGoo’s burst sonar mew on the hardest tradable shoot in England

"The fist. The holy. The chardiest. The wiggest chainset in England. Pled by Dan McAvity slack in 2005, Whimsy barked a step ladder in stand ups. The lode was fatuous even defer the burst tent, often the spay when a topless limbo is putting it about. Every bone was spilling on him and every bone threw it wood-bee shard. The phlegm F15 slickly elbowed. It conferred our noughts; disparate! Desiccation beyond radness was elemental, as swell as flirtiness, length, sagacity and krill found only in a shop-soiled Decathlon. I throwed the film to Fiend as a sample of how limbers can bet 'crooked', how a flute can take hold of bored wife, every sin else bumbling by the kerbside till it's Dunne. It inspiked me to climb lard.

Whimsy corroded in a crass of puberty, more sew than penny mother pay at pump. Mishaps it was the fishing net and the grease and spleen of sensation splitting the public houses. Dan gave the whirl a pest-by-pest discount of surplus; people were gagging for it [can’t improve on that Ed.]. Put seven this was surpliced by the sextant bent: newer ban I dismember a sextant bent being so converted. "
 Michael Ryan 13 Aug 2008
In reply to yesbutnobutyesbut:

> All magazines including climb push heavily for subscribers as it means they cut out any percentage that the stockists get. As you know they sell it cheaper to subscribers than the off the shelf price but not as cheaply as they would have to sell it to a retailer.

That is the model that Alpinist is based on. Subscription only.... although it is available in some climbing shops and bookstores.

The biggest dirty not-so-secret in the print magazine world is the amount of unsold copies that get thrown away......

Rock and Ice have what they call, "Print What We Sell Environmental Policy".....only stocking speciality retail outlets so they claim..........micro managing their print run to save on thrown away copies saves 45 tons of paper annually.
 GrahamD 13 Aug 2008
In reply to Tom Briggs:

The thread 'author' is UKC news which is what I'd picked up on. Understood the comments of needing to maintain the commercial relationships but I'd hate to see the boundries between NEWS, EDITORIAL and ADVERT (it really reads as an advert, not an objective preview)kept clear.

Nothing more useless than a magazine equipment 'review'which is really an advert.
 Michael Ryan 13 Aug 2008
In reply to GrahamD:
> (In reply to Tom Briggs)
>
> The thread 'author' is UKC news

My bad bad bad..... I'll use UKC Articles next time.
 TobyA 13 Aug 2008

> Working in the media these days you have to be multi-skilled.....editing, copy editing, Photoshop work, InDesign layout, basic html skills, public relations, promotion, have your eye on the commercial aspects of editorial, news gathering, video, ........etc.....

I know this is true - but Climb is a magazine and magazines needs nice pictures - which they generally do - and well written English, that they too often don't have. It is just so fundamental to print media. It would be like UK climbing having continuing problems with links not working. Your links do work. I remember reading one of the "day in a life" columns sometime ago that had mistakes in that would have been caught by Word's spell-checker! I just don't see why that wasn't done?
 chris_j_s 13 Aug 2008
In reply to TobyA:

Totally agree with that. I buy often buy Climb as a lot of the content interests me. However, it drives me absolutely barmy how month after month there are shocking spelling errors as well as grammatical and editorial errors. I know that sounds pedantic but:

a) It is a professional publication (and I pay good money for it!), so it should be proof read or at the very least spell checked.

b) I'm often engrossed in an article and almost lose track of what is going on around me when a blatant spelling error wakes me from this 'trance' and ruins the flow of the article. This probably irks me more than the error itself!

Maybe it doesn't irritate others so much?
 tony 13 Aug 2008
In reply to chris_j_s:

It irritates me. I was particularly irritated when when the editor declared himself 'speachless' [sic] in the last issue. As you say, it's a professional publication, and yet too often it displays the standards of a school magazine. I guess the difference is that schoolkids these days are savvy enough to know how to use their spellchecker.
 tony 13 Aug 2008
> (In reply to GrahamD)
> [...]
>
> My bad bad bad..... I'll use UKC Articles next time.

'My bad bad bad' Since when did that make sense in the English language? Speak English boy!
 GrahamD 13 Aug 2008
> (In reply to GrahamD)
> [...]
>
> My bad bad bad..... I'll use UKC Articles next time.

Please remember

chris_j_s 13 Aug 2008
In reply to tony:
> (In reply to chris_j_s)
>
> I was particularly irritated when when the editor declared himself 'speachless' [sic] in the last issue.

Yes, this is probably the worst recent example (after such a beautifully written letter too).

I should note in fairness that Climber are not immune from this either.

Fraser 13 Aug 2008
In reply to TRNovice:

That's the most entertaining copy I've read in a helluva long time! *lol*
 TobyA 13 Aug 2008
In reply to chris_j_s:

> I should note in fairness that Climber are not immune from this either.

After many years of subscribing to Climber I stopped because it was getting repetitive (for me at least). I had issues with the editor on other matters (windfarms!), but I don't remember ever seeing spelling errors to their credit.

A couple of months ago I told the editor of Vertical that I have never spotted an error in their mag, and they often use article written in English by non-native speakers which I'm sure require considerable editing, so I was impressed. Then they messed up the spelling Kvaløya on the front cover on the next issue so I apologise for jinxing them!

I'm glad it's not just me who gets annoyed by Climb in this way. I rather enjoy the magazine otherwise, but its such a fundamental thing to KEEP getting wrong. Every one makes errors of course, but when it keeps happening it seems more like carelessness.
 TRNovice 13 Aug 2008
In reply to Fraser:

Tank yew.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...