UKC

Has anbody got the Llanberis Pass guide to hand...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Aly 14 Aug 2008
that could post/email me the description for True Grip on the Cromlech?
Would be much appreciated,

Thanks very much
Anonymous 14 Aug 2008
In reply to Aly:
Start as for left wall.Climb up for about 15feet then pull out rightwards.Go directly up the wall to join resurrection at a faded thread runner.Step left and after a long reach for a pocket, gain the girdle ledge. The leftward curving flake above is climbed with ones feet on it.Where the flake dissappears make a reachy move for a pocket and so to left wall.Continue up left wall to finish direct.
 richprideaux 14 Aug 2008
In reply to Aly:
Please tell me you aren't sat on a ledge with an iphone wondering which way to go?
 tonanf 14 Aug 2008
In reply to shingsowa: that is an excellent situational comedy suggestion!
OP Aly 14 Aug 2008
In reply to Anonymous: thank you.
OP Aly 14 Aug 2008
In reply to shingsowa: No, perfectly safe behind my desk at the moment. I think my OP would have been a bit more urgent-sounding if I was stuck on a ledge!
 Marc C 14 Aug 2008
In reply to tonanf: Would be hilarious if someone was asking for the route description for Flying Buttress, and someone accidentally sent the one for Lord of the Flies
Anonymous 14 Aug 2008
In reply to Marc C:
and it would be astoundingly astonishingly incredible if they went on to do it, good grief this is rocktalk surely not a shitcom
 Marc C 14 Aug 2008
In reply to Anonymous: There have been many desperate routes established by climbers who thought they were simply repeating much easier routes. I find this Mr Magoo the Climber phenomenon quite amusing.
 Morgan Woods 14 Aug 2008
In reply to Marc C:

such as Still Life with Stairs at the Roaches :p
Anonymous 14 Aug 2008
In reply to Marc C:
I would be interested to hear of (m)any new routes that have been established in the way you describe, especially any that have such a wild grade discrepancy that you suggest. I wonder if you need to undergo sphincter tightening so that you talk less and more importantly less rubbish falls out of you when you do. yours Mr Magoo
 Solaris 14 Aug 2008
In reply to Anonymous:
> (In reply to Marc C)
> I would be interested to hear of (m)any new routes that have been established in the way you describe, especially any that have such a wild grade discrepancy that you suggest.

Wasn't Longland's route "Javelin Blade" (E1) first ascended when he mistakenly thought he was following "Javelin Buttress" (VS)? A pretty wild grade discrepancy for 1930.
Anonymous 14 Aug 2008
In reply to Solaris:
the discrepancy there would be only two grades and being as vs was pretty full on at that time the discrepancy is not that great, i would imagine that lots of vs routes from that era now have higher grades attributed to them but diff and E6 that is a huge difference
 Marc C 14 Aug 2008
In reply to Solaris: Precisely the route I was thinking of!
Anonymous 14 Aug 2008
In reply to Marc C:
So 'many' has become one, and not a very good example of what you professed
 Marc C 14 Aug 2008
In reply to Anonymous: Had I world enough and time (and inclination) to research instances of people climbing harder routes by mistake, I know I could furnish you with many examples (though I DO believe the Javelin Blade example is a good one) - as I'm sure many more historically-informed folk on here could do so much better than me. Of course, no one has climbed an E6 in mistake for a Diff - but I think you know I meant that as a light-hearted flight of fancy.
 Tom Last 14 Aug 2008
In reply to Aly:
I sense a sense of humour bypass here.
In reply to Marc C:

Walsh's Groove instead of Sheaf, for example. That's E3 instead of VS (giving WG E3 on its own, rther generously).

jcm
Anonymous 14 Aug 2008
In reply to All:
Do 'light hearted flights of fancy' really deserve discussion in 'rocktalk'? Anyway off 'down the pub'and then 'chat' for some humourous banter now. Mr Magoo
 Marc C 14 Aug 2008
In reply to Anonymous: Off down the pub? Good for you! Make sure you don't drink Vimto mistakenly thinking it's Chateauneuf-du-Pape

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...