UKC

Socks with climbing shoes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
soveda@work 15 Aug 2008
OK so I see the sense of socks with climbing shoes (most of the time) but what are the best socks to wear?
I've found that most of the thin "trainer socks" still have prominent seams which cause pressure points or blistering.
Thin skiing socks work OK but they are knee length and therefore not practical for hot days.

What do people prefer?
 tommcdonna 15 Aug 2008
In reply to soveda@work:

Never tried this, but maybe a tubular bandage might work well.

No seams, and you don't have to have you toes covered, so less loss of sensitivity.
 thin bob 15 Aug 2008
In reply to soveda@work:

trainer socks, but turned inside out! seam is on outside & slightly different place, so might not irritate anymore.
check your local bowling alley as well, i've a stash of the socks they give away with shoe hire. synthetic, but v thin.

or kalenji running socks from decathlon.
 Blue Roses 15 Aug 2008
In reply to soveda@work

at last someone asks the question everyone was itching to, but was too embarrassed to ask

SiWood 15 Aug 2008
In reply to soveda@work:

I just use Asda "secret socks". 5 pairs for about 2 pound.

No seam problems for me, bouldering, sport routes, long routes all good.

Do you think I should approach Asda for sponsorship !! ( I also used to use their own brand malt loaf to get me through longs scottish winter climbing days)
taffmahoney 15 Aug 2008
In reply to soveda@work: I use some Specialized summer cycling socks. They are seamless, very thin and wick the moisture away from your foot so your shoes don't stink. They cost me about £5 from my local bike shop.
 digby 15 Aug 2008
In reply to soveda@work:

Smartwool - merino wool. Only they were bought out by Timberland who resolutely fail to resupply shops, so unless your feet are superlarge or tiny, you can't get any.

The only activity sock that will not go crispy in the wash!
 Bill Davidson 15 Aug 2008
In reply to soveda@work:
> OK so I see the sense of socks with climbing shoes (most of the time) but what are the best socks to wear?
>

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! They look worse than socks wi sandals!
 Nigel Modern 15 Aug 2008
In reply to taffmahoney: Top tip...of course - cycling socks

I use tennis shorties currently...there, I've admitted it - I'm a punter and wear socks!
 GrahamD 15 Aug 2008
In reply to soveda@work:

Red loop stich socks, obviously

Seriously, if you are wearing socks for warmth/comfort then it makes sense to wear the warmest most comfortable socks you can which usually means walking socks. That obviously relies on having a comfortable pair of all day boots this can work with.
 Pauline 15 Aug 2008
In reply to Bill Davidson:
> (In reply to soveda@work)
> [...]
>
>
> Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! They look worse than socks wi sandals!

yes but when you remove your climbing shoes at the end of a session the people sat round you might not pass out from the stench wafting from your odourous pongy cheesy vile smelling feet and shoes
Callums dad 15 Aug 2008
In reply to SiWood:
>
> I just use Asda "secret socks". 5 pairs for about 2 pound.
>
> No seam problems for me, bouldering, sport routes, long routes all good.
>
> Do you think I should approach Asda for sponsorship !! ( I also used to use their own brand malt loaf to get me through longs scottish winter climbing days)

we get callum the smart price 99p for 3 pairs trainer liners, very thin and stretchy, closest ive found to wearing no socks, no problem with the shoes smelling, wich is why i got them.

jkarran 15 Aug 2008
In reply to soveda@work:

When it's cold: whatever socks happen to be on my feet, usually some mismatched thin black jobs from Next. Otherwise: bare feet

jk
In reply to Pauline:
> (In reply to Bill Davidson)
> [...]
>
> yes but when you remove your climbing shoes at the end of a session the people sat round you might not pass out from the stench wafting from your odourous pongy cheesy vile smelling feet and shoes

Moi? I'll have you know my scarpas fresh up rather well!
 Al Evans 15 Aug 2008
In reply to soveda@work: I use very thin short sox from Decathlon, they are seamless do all the good things sox in rock shoes do and you can still take your shoes off and climb verglass.
 Al Evans 15 Aug 2008
In reply to Bill Davidson:
> [...]
>
>
> Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! They look worse than socks wi sandals!

Who cares ????????
In reply to Al Evans:

The Style Police?
 Al Evans 15 Aug 2008
In reply to Bill Davidson: Exactly!
 GrahamD 15 Aug 2008
In reply to Al Evans:
> ..... and you can still take your shoes off and climb verglass.

Is verglass really a problem where you currently climb ?

sutty 15 Aug 2008
In reply to sutty:

Deary me Sutty, did that one go right over your head then?
 Reach>Talent 15 Aug 2008
In reply to soveda@work: la sportiva used to sell socks which they claimed created a perfect synergy between your foot and the rock shoe although i just assumed you used them as shims to counteract the enormous amount of stretch you get from katanas.
GeoffF 15 Aug 2008
In reply to soveda@work: I know somebody who has recently taken to using Bridgedale liner socks after fifteen years of wearing no socks. He says they make a huge difference in comfort, and they are seamless and about as thin as you can get. I use Terranova Thicky socks turned inside out. These are a little thicker than the Bridgedales, which are nonetheless probably the best choice if you are buying afresh.
 beardy mike 15 Aug 2008
In reply to soveda@work: I fount that ski socks were ace in the alps as you could wear shorts, and then when too hot you push said socks down, and when cold pull said socks up. When its raining you only have shorts on which will dry quick, and if you carry your sandals with you as approach footwear, Oakley Mframes and Beanie you can tick ALL the boxes for the fashion police... mind you look like your German so there are some pluses...
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 15 Aug 2008
In reply to GeoffF:

I wear thin Bridgedales in tight shoes (they are a bit grey though) and some thicker Quecha (Decathlon) ones in my comfy shoes. They are a nice EasyJet orange!

http://www.pbase.com/chris_craggs/image/84089518

Chris
 Al Evans 16 Aug 2008
In reply to GrahamD:
> (In reply to Al Evans)
> [...]
>
> Is verglass really a problem where you currently climb ?

No, but sweaty feet are!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...