UKC

Best Climbing Pack????????

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
DinoRock 16 Aug 2008
Hi,

I'm looking for a climbing pack, what would you recommend. Ideally looking for water proof fabric,

thanks

Mark
 fivestar 16 Aug 2008
In reply to DinoRock:

Alpkit Gourdon is pretty awesome if you can get your hands on one.

http://www.alpkit.com/gourdon/

I'm a huge fan of mine (20L).

Cheers

James
 Dickie 16 Aug 2008
In reply to DinoRock: "Ideally looking for water proof fabric"

its alright until you open the lid to get anything out and then all of your kit is wet! best bet buy a bomber bag (non waterproof) and put all of your contents in seperate dry bags, thats the best way to keep things dry.

Ive had convorsations with people i know and they reccomended to me that i get a Pod Black Ice, all round bag rather than buying one for cragging and one winter climbing, get one that can be stripped down for summer and full size for winter.

Im saving up for one now, not cheap but is a bombproof bag!

Dickie
 Pete Potter 16 Aug 2008
In reply to DinoRock: what size are you after?
Try the Exped Mountain Pro 40. It, as the name suggests is 40 litres and is totaly water proof. I know some of the members of the llanberis team have been using them for the past few months and have got on ok with them.
Not all shops stock them but V12 normally have them.
 David Barlow 16 Aug 2008
It all depends on what climbing you intend to do with it! e.g. the waterproofness of the pack shouldn't be your 1st criteria for a rock climbing pack...
 Ann S 17 Aug 2008
In reply to fivestar:

But how long can you watch the guy on the Gourdon demo vid before you scream....?
 SBMikeD 17 Aug 2008
In reply to DinoRock: i quite like the berghaus crag sack(45l) its a all in one do it all sack for me
 Undertow 17 Aug 2008
In reply to DinoRock: I have a berghaus arete 45L which is great, slim profile, holds everything, seems pretty tough etc but the Gourdon looks very interesting..
 Alex Roddie 17 Aug 2008
In reply to DinoRock:
I have both an Arete 45 and a 25l Gourdon. Together with a few smallish drybags, this covers every eventuality. The most versatile system for single days, I find, is to use the Gourdon but to put important items in their own drybags as well, for ultimate waterproofness!
 Alex Roddie 17 Aug 2008
In reply to Alex Roddie:
Forgot to add, you can also use the Gourdon as a rucksack liner, if you take out the foam back panel. Tis uber versatile.
 MRJ 17 Aug 2008
In reply to Alex Roddie:
Sorry, but you're definitely not going to get a better pack then Cilogear.
(www.cliogear.com)
 mr mills 17 Aug 2008
In reply to DinoRock: Bought a Crux AK37 for the Alps and for cragging, it`s one of the best pack i`ve had yet !
Steve Humm 4395 18 Aug 2008
In reply to mr mills: I have a Black Ice and although excellent/bombproof etc it is slightly to large most of the time and i find myself using my Mammut Flight 28.
In reply to DinoRock: Petzl Bug.
 john howard 1 18 Aug 2008
In reply to climberjamie:
> (In reply to DinoRock) Petzl Bug.

Am I the only person that thinks that the petzl bug is just an overpriced, overweight school bag with rope straps at the bottom?What other features does it actually have that make it a good climbing pack?Just wondering.Oh and if I had the money I'd probably get something from cilogear, POD or crux.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...