UKC

We Need to Talk About Kevin Bishop

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Blue Straggler 16 Aug 2008
Another cracking edition of The Kevin Bishop Show last night. The weaker sketches are getting more and more scarce, splendid.

The 9/11 board game was pushing the boundaries of taste (as was Guantanamo Baywatch), but hey we need our comedians to have a bit of 'edge' (in fact the 9/11 board game was the first real television joke I'd seen about it)

It's charmingly unpretentious, doesn't try to be obscure and clever, but still has plenty of good wordplay. One to watch (if they don't yank it for fear of legal action or repercussions from the morality/taste police)
interestingly the previous week's edition, which I only saw last night, had an Amy Winehouse take-off, as did this week's Katy Brand show. The Brand effort, one of the better skits in her show, was toothless, it was blitzed by Bishop's effort which was more imaginative (and which in turn was one of the WEAKER skits in his show!)
 Marc C 16 Aug 2008
In reply to Blue Straggler: So we no longer 'need' to talk about Bishop Kevin?

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/2086717.bishop_kevin_dunn_has_died/
I don't know, Marc, but it's clearly a sign that I've followed too many links to dailybiscuit, dailymash, onion etc pages, that the "In This Section" bit of the Northern Echo page to which you've linked, just looked really really funny to me :-/

Villagers helped cut carbon footprint
Police to launch speed check campaign
Community urged to help football club survive
Blaze destroys haystack
Pensioner receives four scam letters in three days
Hotel fire was not arson, say police
Guests recall night of drama
Market shoppers turn out in force
The day a couple’s wedding plans went up in smoke
Police trace Chinese victims’ friend after worldwide hunt

"Blaze destroys haystack"? Well it would wouldn't it.
 Marc C 16 Aug 2008
In reply to Blue Straggler: Ha ha ! Maybe 'Blaze destroys Haystack' was a report on a young farmers' wrestling contest?
11:50pm C4 tonight, repeat of last week's
 Steve Parker 21 Aug 2008
In reply to Marc C:
> (In reply to Blue Straggler) Ha ha ! Maybe 'Blaze destroys Haystack' was a report on a young farmers' wrestling contest?

Hmm, would 'Market shoppers turn out in force' be a poorly-phrased reference to the recent spate of gay police officers with a liking for trad markets outing themselves then?

Or perhaps 'Police trace Chinese victims’ friend after worldwide hunt' points to the recent episode where the police put off their figurative frottage and brass-rubbing sessions until they'd completed their international safari?

Actually, 'Villagers helped cut carbon footprint' could well refer to the wanton destruction of a very rare fossil formation by rednecks around Ravenscar. Has anyone heard of this incident?

Sorry, BS! WTF is a Kevin Bishop? I don't hardly watch no TV no more.

jim robertson 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Steve Parker:

> Sorry, BS! WTF is a Kevin Bishop? I don't hardly watch no TV no more.

Emily's brother in law.

Whoah. I foresee a flood of complaints about his Speed Awareness spoof.

Some of the satire plays like a much more accessible Brass Eye though - good stuff. The missing-woman police/newspaper appeal made a very good point - again not original but also not a point that's raised in this sort of medium much.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...