UKC

Andy Cave at Barnsley Library yesterday

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tall Clare 21 Aug 2008
aren't libraries ace? There was a free Andy Cave talk at the library in Barnsley yesterday as he's their nominated author for the National Year of Reading.

there were a lot of older people in the audience, including, I suspect, a lot of the Barnsley Mountaineering Club, but not many people under 30 (or thereabouts), which surprised me.

anyone read the new book? I resisted buying it as I've got a huge stockpile to get through, but it sounds good.

another observation from the talk was that it's curious how what might to one person seem extraordinary, can sound quite routine to someone else.
 pog100 21 Aug 2008
In reply to Tall Clare:

Damn, wish I had known about that! Was it publicised much?
OP Tall Clare 21 Aug 2008
In reply to pog100:

a friend from the University of Hudds told me about it so I thought you might know too...

I'll drop you a line if I hear about anything else like this.
johnj 21 Aug 2008
In reply to Tall Clare: I can't believe you came to the Tarn to see Cavey and you didn't let me know, anyway years back I saw Alan Clarke at the very same Library, nur!
In reply to johnj:

<hangs head>

johnj 21 Aug 2008
In reply to Tall Clare: And he even signed something for me, see you tonight
In reply to Tall Clare: You could of told me before hand. I would have come down to see this!
In reply to climberjamie:

sorry!

it's *allllll* about being plugged into the networks. UKC, though it's good, isn't exhaustive in its information provision.
In reply to johnj: Your left breast by any chance? Proper groupie stylee?
johnj 21 Aug 2008
In reply to climberjamie: No just a piece of paper, i was only 11, Cavey had said before he'd sign his book for me, all he seemed to be interested about talking about was Lundwood. Bless!
 Blue Straggler 21 Aug 2008
In reply to Tall Clare:
>
>
> another observation from the talk was that it's curious how what might to one person seem extraordinary, can sound quite routine to someone else.

<slight tangent> Yes it is curious, and I encounter this regularly. Sometimes it's "in my favour" but being the self-deprecating type I end up overcompensating by completely downplaying everything I do </tangent>

I do check the events at my local library but none have yet taken my fancy.

The Bantam 21 Aug 2008
In reply to Tall Clare:

>
> anyone read the new book? I resisted buying it as I've got a huge stockpile to get through, but it sounds good.
>

Yes I have. Not as good as his first one by a long way, but still entertaining enough. Often with mountain books (and I have far too many for my own good) the descriptions of events become very samey - a problem I have with Mick Fowler's second book for example, "decided on a trip, went there and felt ill, battled through, wasn't sure I'd make it, then I did, and got down again.". However, Mr Cave puts a lot of background on the places and history around where he is climbing and this really helps bring it to life.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...