UKC

stiff little quickdraw

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gingerkate 22 Aug 2008
Having been unable to reach the to clip the bolt without first doing the crux a couple of times, I've taken a friend's advice* and stiffened one of my quickdraws in the classic manner: wrapping it in tape so that it now looks rather like a mummified cat's tail.

I am guessing that this reduces the safety of the quickdraw ... I'm guessing the flexibility of the tape is part of what keeps the rope where it should be.

So, when I use it, should I switch it for a normal one once I'm in a position to do so? Or is it not really an issue?

*Thanks Liz!
OP gingerkate 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Al Evans:
Yes, but I'm into scruffy low-tech cheap solutions at mo
In reply to gingerkate: I don't think the lack of flexibility will have any effect on the strength. If it's a sport route then it'll still bb well strong enough.

Not sure what effect the glue from the tape will have on the webbing material though.
 Morgan Woods 22 Aug 2008
In reply to gingerkate:
>> I am guessing that this reduces the safety of the quickdraw ... I'm guessing the flexibility of the tape is part of what keeps the rope where it should be.
>

why would it be unsafe....as long as the rope is through the crab why does it need to be "where it should be"?

i have thought of doing this but never bothered...i don't think safety is an issue?
 maria85 22 Aug 2008
In reply to gingerkate: Oooh that's a good idea... having also had the same problem several times I was comtemplating making some kind of mini clip stick, but that's far easier.

I usally just get someone taller to lead it first though and leave the draws in
In reply to gingerkate: I wouldn't worry about the stiffness tbh.

You also can achieve a similar effect with a 12' ruler and a couple of elastic bands. This also allows the other end of the quickdraw to be floppier. A large bulldog clip and one the metals supports from my rucksac have also been used for a similar task before now.

In reply to Morgan Woods:
>as long as the rope is through the crab

The issue would be it staying through the krab in event of a fall? The flexibility must have some bearing on the workings of the system, because that's why one krab is tight in the tape, the other floppy... isn't it?

But glad to see that people think it's not going to make much odds.
In reply to maria85:

> I usally just get someone taller to lead it first though and leave the draws in

I know, lovely isn't it? :-D
I've been caught a couple of times when it's been my turn to go first, the bolt just 3" beyond the reach of my maximum stretch.... cue much swearing
 krikoman 22 Aug 2008
In reply to gingerkate: On sports routes no difference. The flexibility is mainly for trad when the flexibility stops movement being transferred to the protection there by moving it and possibly dislodging it.

I might be worried about the adhesive so lolly sticks and elastic bands sounds good or wrap first then tape.

M
 Morgan Woods 22 Aug 2008
In reply to gingerkate:
> (In reply to Morgan Woods)
> >as long as the rope is through the crab
>
> The issue would be it staying through the krab in event of a fall? The flexibility must have some bearing on the workings of the system, because that's why one krab is tight in the tape, the other floppy... isn't it?
>
> But glad to see that people think it's not going to make much odds.

think about it....you could put a crab straight on a nut (but don't in order for the movement of the rope not to dislodge it) if you felt like it.

the only workings of the system as you put it are the stiching of the quickdraw. taping over to stiffen it won't affect this. the required dynamic element of the system is already provided by the rope.
In reply to krikoman:
Damn, I didn't think of wrapping it first. Good point about adhesive, I thought about that but decided it was probably ok, based on not very much.
 Morgan Woods 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Morgan Woods:

was going to add that i have one of these:

http://www.berg-sport.ch/shop/catalog/images/kong-frog.jpg

but have yet to bother using it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...