UKC

Ratho

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bonesaw 26 Aug 2008
Heading to Edinburgh for a long weekend next month, im hoping to go to Ratho with some of the guys fae aberdeen while there.

My question is this, I have a 40m and a 50m single ropes, am i best to take the 50m for leading routes there?

Also are there any other indoor walls in the area?

cheers in advance
Callums dad 26 Aug 2008
In reply to Bonesaw: probably best with the 50m, thats what i had up their and it was good enough for the highest lead walls, + left enough to be stood back from the wall a bit when belaying.
 Glansa 26 Aug 2008
In reply to Bonesaw:

Yes, I'd say take the 50. And make sure you read the grade notes before setting off as sometimes they have notes on them saying "This route requires a 60m rope."

As for other walls, Alien 1 and 2 are both good fun. 1 is top roped and leading and 2 is just bouldering. See http://www.alienrock.co.uk/

Nick
 Bill Davidson 26 Aug 2008
In reply to Bonesaw:

You'll need the 50m as said previously & you will be able to do all the routes on the comp wall & lead wall, just tie a knot in the end of the rope just to make sure!
Bill
 jamestheyip 26 Aug 2008
In reply to Bonesaw:

As others said 50m will be fine. I've got an old 50m rope which has shrunk to 46m and with rope stretch it's just OK for the longest routes.
 tom84 26 Aug 2008
In reply to Bonesaw:

you need a 60 meter rope for the main lead wall.
 Bill Davidson 26 Aug 2008
In reply to thomasfoote:

Hmmmmmmm, I better tell my 50m rope its really a 60m, I'm sure it'll be dead chuffed!
md@r 26 Aug 2008
In reply to Bill Davidson:
I've not been there often but I think there's only a small section of the wall labelled as requiring 60m.
 Bill Davidson 27 Aug 2008
In reply to md@r:

I think that must be for insurance purposes but we've done all the lines on the lead & the comp wall with a 50m rope. Sent the bairn up first tho!
 tom84 27 Aug 2008
In reply to Bill Davidson: haha, sorry i wasnt aware that it could be done on a 50- it could well be for insurance purposes
OP Bonesaw 28 Aug 2008
In reply to Bonesaw:

thats brilliant, cheers one and all, il leave the 40m at hame then and haul the me big 50m instead (good job im driving and nae takin the train...)
 Bill Davidson 28 Aug 2008
In reply to Bonesaw:

Loads of new boulder problems have been put up on the free standing boulders as well so mind & give yourself plenty of time All with gradings now as well!
OP Bonesaw 28 Aug 2008
In reply to Bill Davidson:

sweet! aye il be in edinburgh friday night to monday morning so we should have a few sessions down there. though im kinda tempted to do any trad or outdoor sports while in the area...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...