UKC

soft shell water resistantness

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Aigen 27 Aug 2008
I bought a Patagonia Ready Mix, softshell recently and have worn it about 6 times, but only in dry weather. How ever a couple of days ago for the first time i wore it in the rain. I walked 500 meters in medium rain and I was wet inside. I took it back to the patagnia shop and they will have it tested. Can anyone tell me in their experience does this sound like a faulty jacket. I know soft shells are not waterproof but 3 minutes in the rain and I am proper wet inside. Thanks all.
 pottsworth 27 Aug 2008
In reply to Aigen:
I did the long (flat) walk out from froggatt in the pouring rain on saturday. About 20 mins in my rab softshell, which seems to just be pretty much treated cotton (ie the least weather proof of my softshells) I felt pretty soggy, but when I took it off the tshirt underneath way dry
 Flatlander 27 Aug 2008
In reply to Aigen:

Softshells aren't ment to be waterproof! They are more wind proof fleeces with more weather resitance. That said how heavy was the rain? I have a mountain hardwear velocity and it lasts maybe 15-20mins in normal rain heavy rain not a chance, light rain or mist its fine in. But I don't expect it to be waterproof and wear it according to the weather. better off buying a light waterproof to store in your rucksack.
 freerangecat 27 Aug 2008
In reply to Aigen:

My Rab Vapour rise is fine in light rain/drizzle, and it lasted about 20 minutes of hard rain before the seams let water dribble in around my shoulders.

Cat
Kane 27 Aug 2008
In reply to Aigen: It depends a lot on what you're wearing underneath and what you're doing at the time. I find if I wear my softshell on its own and do something aerobic then I'll stay dry in heavy rain, however if I chuck it on over a cotton T-shirt and stand around then I get wet.

If you're not doing something that will make you sweat then you may as well wear a hard shhell as it won't matter that it's less breathable.
OP Aigen 27 Aug 2008
In reply to Aigen: The issue is not what garment to buy or which laying system to use. I was wearing a cotton shirt underneath and walked about 500 metres in medium rain. Heavy rain is were one will stand in and wait untile it dyes down a bit to walk on the streets. Medium rain is, when you think its alright for 10 mins but any long and you will need the water proof pants on as well.
 whiting.jp 27 Aug 2008
In reply to Aigen:

So, hang on.. You bought an expensive lightweight soft shell, and then wore it over a *cotton* tshirt, in the rain? and you're wondering why it didn't work very well?

*exasperated sigh*
In reply to whiting.jp:

I dont think that, within 3 minutes or 500m, what is worn underneath will have very much bearing on the situation at all, be it cotton, synthetic or merino. If it's getting wet that quickly, then it's going to be the outer layer that is leaking. Unless you're running in a sauna.

I've heard mixed reports of the ReadyMix's ability to see off rain, but, if the DWR is like that on the shell of my Stretch Zephyr, I'd expect it to last a lot longer than 3 minutes.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...