UKC

Skinny single ropes - anyone use a Beal Stinger?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Quiddity 02 Sep 2008
I'm looking for a skinny-ish (say, 9.2?mm - 9.6?mm) 70m single rope... currently I'm using a 10.2 Beal Flyer so this is the first time I'm using anything this thin.

Has anyone any experiences using the Beal Stinger? Specifically, how does it handle, how slick is it, and is it ok in a Gri-gri?

Any other recommendations for other ropes in this range? I've seen plenty of praise for the Mammut Revelation, but the missus is a bit worried about climbing on anything really thin, and I'd ideally like to use it with a gri gri so would like to avoid that and the ultra-skinny ones (serenity & joker) if poss.

Cheers...
 pottsworth 02 Sep 2008
In reply to plexiglass_nick:
outside have got a deal on the infinity spirit 9.2mm.
I've got the 10mm and 8.4mm versions, and they are the ropes I would go for every time now. If you click on the gear section there is a very positive review about the 9.2mm version
 Morgan Woods 02 Sep 2008

i've said this before on other threads but i've found Beal ropes don't hold their shape that well under load, although this may be down to different batches having different construction....still an issue though.

the mammut 9.2mm is a great rope and certainly doesn't feel too skinny (the 8.9mm sure does though). mine has performed well over the lat 2 yrs and still handles fine with minimal sheath slippage and compression.

It is fine with the gr-gri with the caveat that you might want some extra friction lowering a heavier partner such as using putting the dead end trhough a crab on the leg loop.

My experience is that Mammut ropes have better handling and longevity than the beals so i tend to favour them.

you might struggle to find the rev. in london esp in a 70m but i got mine online from Outside. Maybe also see if there is a 9.5mm available from Mammutt as well.
 rusty_nails 02 Sep 2008

I have used the 9.2 beal rope and it was fine with an atc-xp, but it does come with a warning that it may not be safe to use it in an auto-lock like a gri-gri.

The rope owner tried to use it with an eddy (the edlrid version of gri gri) and was unable to hold anything more than a small fall onto the rope.

Be advised those who use the gri-gri!!!
 bpmclimb 02 Sep 2008

I recently got a Revelation 70m - I was interested in the Stinger but apparently Beal don't do a 70m in that model for some reason.

Regarding the slickness/handling of the Rev - too early to give an opinion, but I decided in advance not to worry about that (I don't use a Gri Gri).

As a matter of interest, are 9.2 ropes and Gri Gris officially incompatible?
 bpmclimb 02 Sep 2008
In reply to rusty_nails: Thanks - answered my question before I posted it!
 Morgan Woods 02 Sep 2008

the serenity is £20 less than the rev for 70m from outside i see. i'm sure you'd be fine with either.
 Ally Smith 02 Sep 2008

I got a Beal Stinger on a cheap internet deal last year.

It was fine in the gri-gri, though not "officially" ok from the Petzl website.

However, it lost it's shape very quickly, went soft on me, and had poor abrasion resistance. I ended up chopping 5m sections off both ends within 2months of regular use, then some more a few weeks later, and now its a seldom used 35m wall rope. I wouldn't buy another.

Friends have both the Serenity and Joker, and these both seemed to have better durability. Both also work ok in a gri-gri, though lowering someone off seems a little less controlled than with a fatter rope.
 TobyA 02 Sep 2008
In reply to bpmclimb:

> As a matter of interest, are 9.2 ropes and Gri Gris officially incompatible?

I think so. 9.8 might be the minimum. Its on the Petzl site. Used my revelation with an Eddy and it was fine though.

My revelation has been great, but now at about three years old its suddenly started looking really fluffy and knackered. Happened all at once - v. odd, but got plenty of good use out it so can't complain too much.
OP Quiddity 02 Sep 2008
In reply to Morgan Woods:

Is your Rev. dry treated? did it make it an issue with initial slippyness at all? Found a couple of places that stock the 70m revelation but dry treated only (which I don't particularly want in a sport rope, but hey ho)

re. ropes not holding their shape that well - My Beal Flyer does do this (when it's loaded over a krab, it looks decidedly 'squashed' but can't see why it's a problem?

People do seem to rate Mammut ropes over Beal ropes for durability and how they handle, though, so willing to give them a go.

Mammut do do an Infinity - 9.5mm, but can't find one in 70m (or indeed one at all in the UK?)
OP Quiddity 02 Sep 2008
In reply to rusty_nails:

Yeah, I'm particularly wary of using something that skinny in a gri-gri, though consensus seems to be on here that it's fine with some ropes but not others.

Also useful to know re. the eddy as the backup plan was to sell the gri gri and buy an eddy! hmm.
 Ian Patterson 02 Sep 2008

Mammut infinity looks quite attractive, thinking of getting one - Outside and North West Face seem to have them on there websites (very attractive price at NWF).
 bpmclimb 02 Sep 2008
In reply to plexiglass_nick: I'm pretty sure all Revs are dry-treated.
OP Quiddity 02 Sep 2008
In reply to ally smith:

Thanks for the warning! Have you used other Beal ropes? Would be interested to know how you thought it compared with something thicker - eg. the Flyer - as that's my point of reference.
OP Quiddity 02 Sep 2008
In reply to Ian Patterson:

Oh cool, so they do. In 70m as well! nice one.
 Morgan Woods 02 Sep 2008

i've got the flyer 10.2mm and it's ok but has probably bulked up a little beyond 10.2mm over the years.

that's not a problem in itself but my mate's 9.7mm booster compresses alarmingly under load.....not good for lowering a heavier climber on a gri-gri.

my conclusion is that Beal have some manufacturing issues....and Ally's experience above tends to corroborate this.
 Bill Davidson 02 Sep 2008
In reply to rusty_nails:
> (In reply to plexiglass_nick)
>
> I have used the 9.2 beal rope and it was fine with an atc-xp, but it does come with a warning that it may not be safe to use it in an auto-lock like a gri-gri.
>
> The rope owner tried to use it with an eddy (the edlrid version of gri gri) and was unable to hold anything more than a small fall onto the rope.
>
> Be advised those who use the gri-gri!!!

Eh!!! I use the 9.2 Mammut Revelation Dry Treated in my eddy all the time & haven't had any slippage whatsover. The main reason I got the eddy was because it takes the skinny ropes! There have been a few good whippers taken! However the Gri Gri is only recommended for ropes 10-11 but a good fall has been taken on that & it held as well, but that was a one off, I wouldn't be comfortable using it frequently.
 Fraser 02 Sep 2008

Anyone got the North West Face URL?
 bpmclimb 02 Sep 2008
In reply to Fraser: Is that a rope? Sounds like a web address
 Fraser 02 Sep 2008
In reply to bpmclimb:

*lol* Yes, I was looking for the web address for 'North West Face', as someone mentioned above.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...