UKC

Argos Pro Action One Man Tents

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Alan Mc 03 Sep 2008
Daithi O Murchu 03 Sep 2008
In reply to Alan Mc:

taped seams

2m hydrostatic head

2 kg

good for the price, wont last 2 seasons though
 tommcdonna 03 Sep 2008
In reply to Alan Mc:

I've seen these mentioned before, are they really as good as some have said? I'm sure I remember seeing it said they were a rebadged model froma larger (with good rep) company.

At that price I'd be tempted to get one just in case I ever do any solo walking / camping.
Chris Tan Ver. LI - On the Bog 03 Sep 2008
In reply to Daithi O Murachu:

Won't say that!

Mine has done two 5 week winter camps in Spain as a base camp tent, survived 3 hoolies blowing down the Pass. Had a pole broken, due to an incumbent drunk falling on it. And still seems to be standing up to the frequent abuse I inflict on it. And it was only £14.99 when I bought it.

Daithi O Murchu 03 Sep 2008
In reply to Chris Tan Ver. LI - On the Bog:

thanks for the tip,

will get the young lad one. prommised him a tent for christmas
Alan Mc 03 Sep 2008
In reply to Daithi O Murachu:

I beg to differ - mine is on it's third season and has served faultlessly in Scotland and the Lakes.

It has never been re-proofed and it stood up perfectly to a full night of continuous rain (and stong winds)in Wasdale over the August bank holiday weekend.

Alan
Alan Mc 03 Sep 2008
In reply to tommcdonna:

Hi Tom,

I think they are very good tents and a quick search of previous posts will find a lot of praise from owners.

They are a copy of the Sierra Designs Light Year 1

http://sierradesigns.com/tents.display.php?id=45

Alan
 tommcdonna 03 Sep 2008
In reply to Alan Mc:

Cheers, sounds too good to be true and usually if it sounds too good, it is. Maybe not in this case.

For £25 I'll reckon I'll take a punt and go and pick one up tomorrow.
 BigBrother 03 Sep 2008
In reply to Alan Mc: My original (£14.99) got used for the first time on Lundy earlier this year. Stood up to 3 days of strong gusting winds and heavy prolonged rain. Only problem was damp coming through the groundsheet but no one else seems to have had a similar problem so I assume it was just a dodgy batch of groundsheet material.

I am thinking of picking up another for a new inner and spare poles/pegs. The orange colour is a bit useless for stealth camping but would be fine for campsites.
 space monkey 03 Sep 2008
In reply to BigBrother: Hey Big Bro, we had the same problem with our tent too. What we did for a quick fix was to get an orange survival bag for £2.99 cut it in half and used it as a ground sheet.

If its anything to go by though even tents of £400 can suffer with moisture coming up through the ground sheet. Especially if you kneel in them in boogy ground.
 BigBrother 04 Sep 2008
In reply to space monkey: It wasn't a major problem. The campsite was long grass and I think it was just the damp from the grass coming through but being grass it smelt 'musty' so my fleece top that I used as a pillow would smell a bit musty until it dried. A plastic sheet would have worked as you say and I had taken one with me but was using to wrap my rucksack in outside the tent.
 sutty 04 Sep 2008
In reply to BigBrother:

Pack a couple of bin bags in your kit, they can hold gear outside, be used as groundsheets and for rubbish at the end of the trip.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...