UKC

Just back from Lofoten...wow!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kean 08 Sep 2008
A trad climber's paradise! We used the superb new Rockfax Lofoten guide by Craggs & Enevold. Camped for 5 days at a pay campsite just outside Svolvaer, including 1 day in a cabin & paid 45 Euros per person! The tent was 7 Euros a night per person including cook room and showers! Also stayed in numerous Rorbuers and one free campsite.
The climbing was simply paradise. Good weather & the best trad climbing I've ever done...in a t-shirt, inside the arctic circle, with what has to be some of the best scenery in the world...completely on our own.
Climbed 5 "Lofoten Top 50" routes up to E1. No bad rock, pitch after pitch of spectacular climbing, pro placements everywhere. Expensive to get there, beer 9 Euros a pint, but truly amazing...we'll be back.
 ericinbristol 08 Sep 2008
In reply to kean:

Thanks for the info. Which routes did you do?
OP Kean 08 Sep 2008
In reply to kean: Bare Blabaer, Gandalf, Orient Expressen, Pianokrakken & various single pitch around Paradisset, but I'll have to check spelling on a couple of the names cos I don't have guide book in front of me.
 Flicka 08 Sep 2008
In reply to kean:

Excellent! It's on my list of places to go in the next few years (For which I blame the Rockfax guidebook.... )
Glad you had a good time!
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 08 Sep 2008
In reply to kean:

Glad the guide worked - nice to be up there when everyone has gone home isn't it!

Chris
 Erik B 08 Sep 2008
In reply to Chris Craggs: its even better in winter
 Jimmy D 08 Sep 2008
In reply to Erik B:
> (In reply to Chris Craggs) its even better in winter

Joanna Lumley seemed to be enjoying it on telly last night

francois 08 Sep 2008
Is there any reasonable grade stuff there in winter or is it all VI/VII's?
 andyinglis 08 Sep 2008
In reply to Francois: Lots to do at all grades, most of it still there for the taking! Fickle weather up there in winter though due to the low altitude..... Still think its worth the effort just in case!
Big P 08 Sep 2008
In reply to kean:
Lofoten looks like the place of dreams I want to be there right now does any one know roughly how much it costs to get there ????
OP Kean 09 Sep 2008
In reply to Big P:
We did (from Italy):
Ryanair to Oslo €100
Flight Oslo to Bodo €160
Ferry Bodo to Svolvaer €80
We found a guy there who rented us bikes with panniers for the first week, then car hire for the second week. We stashed all climbing and camping gear with him for first week & biked and stayed in cabins. Then second week car and climbing. If (when! when!) we go back for a dedicated climbing holiday, we'll definitely do without the car & camp near Henningsvaer & rely on public transport.
Bike hire €23 per pers per day inc panniers
Car hire (4 people) €18 per pers per day.
So the bike hire was more expensive than the car!! The car had 200,000 km on the clock & was knocked about a bit, but otherwise ok.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...