UKC

Andy Kirkpatrick's 'Snake Cord'

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Mr Underhill 15 Sep 2008
Has anyone had any experience with using Andy Kirkpatrick's 'Snake Cord'? This is a single strand length of 7mm cord (Perlon) with a figure of eight tied in each end. He recommends using it in the same way as a cordelette but suggests that it is lighter.
 beardy mike 15 Sep 2008
In reply to Mr Underhill: Yes - they are good. The only thing you need to remember is that the single strand "legs" are half the strength so try to make sure that the most bomber piece has the double strand. other than that I'd say they are better than cordlettes, especially sewn ones...
 ericinbristol 15 Sep 2008
In reply to Mr Underhill:

I thought about using one of these but I have never felt the need for one, be it multipitch trad, alpine, ice, anything. Two long slings (superlight and thin Mammut ones) and the rope(s) serve me just fine.
 EllenW 15 Sep 2008

aaw, I thought this might be kit for removing snakes : )
 howlingbaboon 15 Sep 2008
In reply to Mr Underhill: I've made one, I've found useful when doing continuous leads on multipitch climbs, don't tend to carry it otherwise. Mine is just made from standard 7mm cord and is about 6m long. I doubt it's lighter than a cordilette (as cord is heavier than tape), although I guess it's only half the total length of material. A lot cheaper however.
 damowilk 15 Sep 2008
Yes, I use one a lot since reading about it on psychovertical.
It provides a combination of long sling, disposable tat and easy way of equalising anchors. Good if you're not swinging leads on multi-pitch and provides a system much easier to escape from that one using the rope.
Chris Tan Ver. LI - On the Bog 15 Sep 2008

They're good. I've been using one for over 10 years and have long ditched the very long slings/cordelette.

ps I don't use a fig 8 to make the loops. A modified fisherman's works better and needs less checking.
 whiting.jp 15 Sep 2008

Yep, I'm another that's made one. Nothing life changing, but it's pretty handy and versatile. Not convinced mine would be lighter than one of the skimpy new sling cordelette but it was pretty cheap, which is nice because it means I carry a longish length of cord that I wouldn't care about using as tat.

Definite thumbs up from me, your mileage may differ.
 petestack 15 Sep 2008
> Has anyone had any experience with using Andy Kirkpatrick's 'Snake Cord'?

Haven't tried it, but think I might now!
 nz Cragrat 15 Sep 2008
In reply to petestack:

It is the way I have always used cordelette rather than as a closed loop
 rockjedi12345 15 Sep 2008

I carry a 16'' 'snake sling' which has been cut at the joint and had two loops tied in the end. the most used piece of equipment i carry, i love it. from belay setups to short roping its great.
 Alun 16 Sep 2008
I made one after reading an article of his. I can't say I've got into the habit of using it. It is quite bulky to carry around also. I don't bother putting it on my rack any more.
 TobyA 16 Sep 2008
In reply to mike kann:
> (Yes - they are good. The only thing you need to remember is that the single strand "legs" are half the strength so try to make sure that the most bomber piece has the double strand. other than that I'd say they are better than cordlettes, especially sewn ones...

Did you use dyneema? Otherwise isn't 7mm a bit weedy, particularly as a single strand?

My mate bought a snake sling in New Zealand made out of tubular tape. But they aren't CE rated so you can't buy them in Europe.
 Diggler 16 Sep 2008
In reply to Mr Underhill: I use one. As stated above very useful on multi pitch routes when your not switching leads. Also cheep to if you need some tat to leave behind. Think mine cost about £8
 beardy mike 16 Sep 2008
In reply to TobyA: No, I use old climbing ropes. I have a stack of 7.2 twin and 8.1 double waiting to be chopped up. But then I only ever really use them when I'm not swinging leads and for alpine stuff so that I have a full length lead line and spare tat. I don't bother tieing loops in the ends any more as I find that half the time you need to make the whole issue shorter anyway and the knots just get undone...
 petestack 21 Sep 2008
In reply to petestack:
> Haven't tried it, but think I might now!

14m of 7mm Perlon from Needlesports arrived Saturday morning, chopped to two 7m lengths last night, used today and have to say I'm pleased!

ed34 21 Sep 2008

is there a site with some pics? i dont really understand how its used I can never work stuff out withought diagrams!!! I searved on the psychovertical site but theres only the text (even though it says see diagram )
 petestack 21 Sep 2008
In reply to ed34:

http://www.planetfear.com/articles/The_Snake_Cord_269.html
(Basically the same article with one so-so JPEG)

But you simply clip the two end loops to two of your pieces, take (a) further bight(s) of rope from the middle up to your other(s), make sure the resulting bottom loops are all at the same height (the equalising part) and tie a knot in the whole lot to keep it like that.

(Clear as mud, or does this help with the picture?)
 Jamie B 21 Sep 2008
In reply to damowilk:

> It provides a combination of long sling, disposable tat and easy way of equalising anchors.

That's what I thought, but in use I found it a total faff; far more bulky than a 240cm sling.
 nz Cragrat 22 Sep 2008
In reply to Jamie B.:

I have one sewn from spectra/dyneema tape which is not too bulky. Despite all the John Long detractions of the cordelette I will probably continue its use NB: A snake cord is just an "open" cordelette
 petestack 22 Sep 2008
In reply to petestack:
> http://www.planetfear.com/articles/The_Snake_Cord_269.html
> (Basically the same article with one so-so JPEG)
>
> But you simply clip the two end loops to two of your pieces...

NB That JPEG shows the RH end loop doubled back to the main belay krab to create a double strand on that side (probably a good idea if you've got the length to do it, but more of a faff to equalise because that's done before clipping in).

petestack 22 Sep 2008
In reply to Jamie B.:
> far more bulky than a 240cm sling.

Sure, and the 240cm sling probably wins hands down for a two-piece belay. But the longer snake cord/cordelette is handy where you've got three or more pieces in.

Chris Sansum 22 Sep 2008

If you want a factory-made equivalent, you could always order a webolette from the US. This is a long length of dyneema with a loop in each end to clip in krabs (like a quickdraw). I've been using mine for a while and find it quite useful.

http://www.mtntools.com/cat/mt/webolette/webolette.html
 beardy mike 22 Sep 2008
In reply to Chris Sansum: Although its not equivalent as you wouldn't want to leave it behind, it costs more and it has no dynamic qualities...
 petestack 22 Sep 2008
In reply to Chris Sansum:

SPORT & TRAD 10 ft, SUPER TRAD 12 ft, BIG WALL 14 ft...

Surely all a bit short for equalising >=3 pieces unless they're pretty close together?

Chris Sansum 22 Sep 2008

The whole point of it (and the snake cord) is that you can carry a considerably shorter sling than a cordelette, to reach anchors the same distance apart (because there is only a single strand going to the outer two anchors). 14ft would reach anchors a fair way apart.

And it may have less dynamic properties as cord, but then so does any anchor you construct using slings. On the plus side it will be lighter and a bit less bulky. It is down to personal preference of what you want to use.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...