UKC

NEWS: Kaabah F8c+ Second Ascent For Smitton

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 17 Sep 2008
On 16th September Paul Smitton made the second ascent of Steve McClure's F8c+ route, Kaabah at Raven Tor in the Peak District. 23 year old Smitton, originally from Clitheroe in Lancashire is no stranger to hard climbing with previous F8c and F8c+ ascents to his name.

Kaabah is the second extension ...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=09&year=2008#n45322
 Morgan Woods 17 Sep 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:
great effort....although i must admit to never having heard of Paul.

is he sponsored by anyone?

anyway 8c+ in the peak must be worth an extra grade on the continent :p
OP Michael Ryan 17 Sep 2008
In reply to Morgan Woods:

UK Sport Climbing 2007
by Stuart Littlefair Jan/2008

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=771

Paul who? Watch this space, you're going to hear a lot more about Paul Smitton over the next few years. Paul is 22 and from Clitheroe in the Ribble Valley, Lancashire and started climbing ten years ago with his dad, Rob. This year, Paul has set the Peak District alight with a series of inspiring ascents at that crucible of hard climbing, Raven Tor.

Not content with a very rapid ascent of Mecca, 8b+, Paul jumped two grades and followed up with an ascent of the desperate link-up of the Staminaband traverse into the viciously crimpy Pump up the Power. Initially given 9a, this link has settled at a very stiff 8c+! S

till not content, Paul has recently made very casual repeats of Hooligan and Mecca Extension, two very different 8c's. Impressively, Paul has made a mockery of the idea that sport climbing is all about hard work, achieving all this in an extremely easy-going style. I dread to think what he'll achieve if he really applies himself!
 UKB Shark 17 Sep 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Paul has made a mockery of the idea that sport climbing is all about hard work, achieving all this in an extremely easy-going style. I dread to think what he'll achieve if he really applies himself!

He was certainly applying himself when he was fighting on the redpoint on Saturday -but I guess you mean he doesnt train hard
 Chris the Tall 17 Sep 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:
His Dad used to teach me geography !
OP Michael Ryan 17 Sep 2008
In reply to Simon Lee:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)

> He was certainly applying himself when he was fighting on the redpoint on Saturday -but I guess you mean he doesnt train hard

"Paul has made a mockery of the idea that sport climbing is all about hard work, achieving all this in an extremely easy-going style. I dread to think what he'll achieve if he really applies himself!"

As quoted from: UK Sport Climbing 2007
by Stuart Littlefair Jan/2008

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=771

Mick Ward 17 Sep 2008
In reply to Chris the Tall:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
> His Dad used to teach me geography !

Must have worked - you found Strawberry Rocks...

Mick

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...